Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Let's pretend the day iOS 6 is released there's an untethered JB available, even on the next iPhone...will you jailbreak?

Me personally, I haven't decided yet. I love SBSettings, I like 3G Unr. to watch full res videos on YouTube. I like having the extra icons on the status bar. I also like having LockInfo with all weather, texts, calls, emails and calendar events. Let me put it this way: when I get the new iPhone and if there isn't a jailbreak available for a few months, I won't exactly be going crazy without it.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
iOS6 hasn't added nearly enough to make me not want to jailbreak so YES I will definitely jailbreak as soon as a jb is available. Maybe add a poll?

mrblack927

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Yep. I'll keep jailbreaking for the basic conveniences that Apple (inexplicably) refuses to include.

Cyntact - Contact pictures in lists
SBSettings - Quick access to toggles
SwipeSelection - Move cursor by swiping
BiteSMS - Respond to texts in popup

Of course there might be other tweaks I will install after jailbreaking, but these four are the real hangups for me, primarily because they are dead-simple and enhance the user experience a lot, and there's no reason Apple couldn't do all of them in a matter of weeks. So if they're going to continue to be (almost insultingly) stubborn, I'll continue to jailbreak. :p

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Why wouldn't you jailbreak EVER? It makes the device much more customizable should you want to do different things with it, it's reversable, and can always be restored if something does go wrong. Even if a few features you JB for become native, the flexibility is still too valuable to me (and I'd wager most users here feel the same). Oh yeah - and it doesn't cost anything. /thread :)

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Of course I will still jailbreak!

- Folders are still limited
- No gestures on iPhones
- No quick way to change settings
- Notification center is still limited
- and many more... :)

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
probably, the main thing I now jailbreak for is SBsettings. Though there are a few things I use every now and then from cydia. I will probably update this time before a JB is released though.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I will JB because of NCsettings and HD YouTube video streaming over cellular via 3G unrestrictor.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Yes, there are too many good tweaks that enhance the functionality of the phone that are not part of iOS 6 (as far as I know). And I will wait to update my current phone until a JB is available.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Apple could add every jailbreak tweak currently out, and the jailbreak community would just come out with something new that would make me jailbreak.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Interesting input. A few of you have mentioned other things I currently have which I sort of forgot about because I'm so used to them. They include: infinifolders and a tweak that automatically closes the folder and goes to the main home screen when an app is closed, I forget what it's called right now.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject as I really don't know much about it, but why doesn't apple open up the flexibility for developers to make enhancements such as these? Apple could still regulate it and make sure their tweak isn't buggy. Or is that's what's happening with Andriod and it's sort of turning into a disaster?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Interesting input. A few of you have mentioned other things I currently have which I sort of forgot about because I'm so used to them. They include: infinifolders and a tweak that automatically closes the folder and goes to the main home screen when an app is closed, I forget what it's called right now.

Springtomize 2 does this and about a million other things.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Apple prefers a closed tight IOS experience they like the control in there hands. We like the control in our hands. We could list endless app tweaks and theme that we jb. my best advice is read up on it and try it you can always go back..

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Jailbreak w/o a doubt, the updates they made barely change anything about the point of jailbreaking. Still a ton of app's that make iOS more efficient and better to use than stock.

Why do I get the feeling though that a jailbreak for iOS6 is going to take a loooooong time :rolleyes:

onefish2

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2006
Nanuet, NY
I have spent at least $75 on apps and tweaks over the past 3 years from Cydia. Why wouldn't I want to keep using them when IOS 6 comes out?

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
biteSMS, NCSettings, FolderEnhancer, Dimmer, and just general customization to my liking will keep me jailbreaking for a while.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
If what I'm understanding about iTunes Match on iOS6 is accurate - it may tempt me to update prior to a jailbreak being released (although I'll JB again as soon as one is available).

If I'm reading correctly on the front page here, it will stream music in your iTunes library to your device, thus freeing up space on the device itself (mine is nearly maxed out...).

If that's not correct - I'll be waiting for the JB before updating.

adamj575

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
Tennessee
after jailbreaking, which i had never done prior to 5.1.1 and absinthe 2 (and now feel stupid that i was ever scared to), I just dont think I could live without that little brown cydia icon...hell, it would be worth it for nothing else but BiteSMS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.