Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsciel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
I have bought an updated MBP 13 i5". I took out the M4 256GB from early 2011 i7 and install to the new MBP... However, it shows a stop sign which it doesn't pass the startup screen. I pressed option to start and it shows my disk and recovery disk. However, both will shows a stop sign after i clicked on them.

I also tried to use a bootable lion usb and a DVD to see if i can install a fresh system. Both doesn't work.

Is this means my hard drive is dead? or anyway around to fix it?

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
I have bought an updated MBP 13 i5". I took out the M4 256GB from early 2011 i7 and install to the new MBP... However, it shows a stop sign which it doesn't pass the startup screen. I pressed option to start and it shows my disk and recovery disk. However, both will shows a stop sign after i clicked on them.

I also tried to use a bootable lion usb and a DVD to see if i can install a fresh system. Both doesn't work.

Is this means my hard drive is dead? or anyway around to fix it?

Probably need to do a clean install because the OSX version on your SSD is not designed and therefore compatible with the new MBP. Yes, there are slight variations in the OS between different Mac computers which is why you can only boot with the disc or stick that came with your hardware.

ssn637

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2009
Switzerland
I've read that these models only support the SATA 2 3 GB/s interface. Could this have anything to do with a problem installing SATA 3 6 GB/s SSDs?

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Boot your new computer with it's original hard disk installed. Get it all setup, run migration assistant to transfer all your apps/setting from your old computer (the one with the m4).

Once the new computer is all setup to your liking, use Carbon Copy cloner to clone that disk onto your M4 SSD. Install that SSD and you should be good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.