Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I missed them on my air and I'll miss them on the rMBP I was excited to get them back but they're not on there. ... :(

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I'm aware of that, I liked being able to just click the button if my laptop was closed and check.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
You'll still be able to see battery status on your Menu Bar.

they're great to use though when you don't want to open your laptop to see where the battery is out while you're out. i miss it on my air since it'd let me gauge if i needed to bring my charger with me or not.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
I too will miss them. it was nice to be able to check if it needed a charge without pulling it out and turning it on.

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
You don't have to buy the Retina.

You could always buy the legacy models.

Last edited:

zurichuk

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Considering it was around 18 months before I noticed them on my existing MBP, erm, no.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
The nicest thing was seeing them light up when you connected and disconnected the magsafe. Never even had to open the screen if you were just taking it out of your bag and putting it on charge.

The new machines should wake up from sleep pretty quickly though so that's less of an inconvenience.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
In 5 years I've never used the indicator. This thread actually reminded it was there.

Of all the crap to complain about, how about the fact you won't be able to upgrade your macs one day?

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
You don't have to buy the Retina.

You could always buy the legacy models.

Advice like this is basically never useful, because it ignores the fact that there are reasons to prefer the Retina.

FWIW, I personally don't much care about the battery lights, but I liked them as a matter of principle, and I hate seeing features removed left and right.

northernpaul

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
Little things like this are what IMO set the Mac apart.

Another 2 small things I'll miss:-
1) IR port for Apple remote
2) Kensington lock slot

All small things, but annoying nonetheless..

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I'm aware of that, I liked being able to just click the button if my laptop was closed and check.

I liked that as well. I miss it on my MBA and I'll miss it on the new MBP.

----------

In 5 years I've never used the indicator. This thread actually reminded it was there.

Of all the crap to complain about, how about the fact you won't be able to upgrade your macs one day?

I think the indicator lights are something worth complaining about. The computer I've specced will meet my needs for the time that I am planning to use it. I'll then sell it and buy a new one. I've upgraded my Mini and MBP in the past, but I don't feel the need to do this on my MBA, hence why I know I won't feel the need with the new MBP. I am comfortable with this.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010

2) Kensington lock slot

wait... those got removed as-well k than i am definitely not upgrading in the near future, having the lock slot is a must in some places... and the battery indicator is a nice gimmick to have.

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Advice like this is basically never useful, because it ignores the fact that there are reasons to prefer the Retina.

FWIW, I personally don't much care about the battery lights, but I liked them as a matter of principle, and I hate seeing features removed left and right.

Not to be rude but that's just inane babble.

There are reasons to prefer any model over the other. In this case, battery indicator lights are a reason to prefer the legacy over the retina model.

Some people want a stock Ethernet port and that is a reason to prefer the legacy over the retina.

My advice was straightforward ... You have options, no one is forcing you to buy a retina model. Make a list of pros and cons and buy the device that comes out on top.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Not to be rude but that's just inane babble.

There are reasons to prefer any model over the other. In this case, battery indicator lights are a reason to prefer the legacy over the retina model.

Some people want a stock Ethernet port and that is a reason to prefer the legacy over the retina.

My advice was straightforward ... You have options, no one is forcing you to buy a retina model. Make a list of pros and cons and buy the device that comes out on top.

This isn't an advice thread, I asked if anyone was going to miss the indicator not about your advice or about pros and cons. The indicator isn't a deal breaker it's just something I liked that the MacBook pro line had over the air and the fact that the retina model got rid of it just made me feel a slight disappointment, not enough where I'd bash the machine over it.

northernpaul

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
I agree. It's an annoyance for me too, but certainly not a deal breaker

This isn't an advice thread, I asked if anyone was going to miss the indicator not about your advice or about pros and cons. The indicator isn't a deal breaker it's just something I liked that the MacBook pro line had over the air and the fact that the retina model got rid of it just made me feel a slight disappointment, not enough where I'd bash the machine over it.

AirmanPika

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Vandenberg AFB, CA
I missed them on my air and I'll miss them on the rMBP I was excited to get them back but they're not on there. ... :(

You mean that button I sometimes hit by accident that showed me a bunch of green dots? Nah. I'm gonna miss the IR port because I used my apple remote to control music on my old macbook pro.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Not sure why they didn't include it. Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to find a little space to incorporate it in. The unit itself is tiny.

Not a deal breaker, but definitely something they should have kept.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK

2) Kensington lock slot

Really? I think it's the completely unique hardware design and the Mac OS that sets Macs apart.

In fact, those two features you mentioned both existed on a generic plastic HP I owned some years ago. They're nothing unique.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Missing indicator battery lights on new Macbook Pro Retina ??

aww..

Its strange to see how the absent of these small things on the mac, that you used all the time, make a big difference upon these releases/updates. Easy to check to when the Mac is not on, and no adapter on hand, so while not a disappointment. Suppose it being "thinner" Apple couldn't fit it in..

Its not something that not prevent me from buying just "because of this", but its a feature i'll miss.

The nay thing now, i'm currently deciding is screen display vs weight ? e.g. new Air or Retina. As the Air looks even more interesting now. :D

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011

2) Kensington lock slot

Haha, those two things are the exact two things I couldn't give a toss about. The remote always opened up that DVD app when someone was using an Apple TV near me.

The battery indicator is a shame though, I use it every day. I'm also a little confused about why line is is gone. Has that just been incorporated into the headphone socket like on an iDevice? And you would just use a splitter if you needed both line in and out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.