Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

portcontrol7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
I have an Artisan 837 printer and I DON'T have it connected to a network. Is there a way for my Macbook Pro to connect to it and print wirelessly without connecting the printer to a network?

The Printer is in the garage and can't get a strong enough WIFI signal to connect to the network.

Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have an Artisan 837 printer and I DON'T have it connected to a network. Is there a way for my Macbook Pro to connect to it and print wirelessly without connecting the printer to a network?

The Printer is in the garage and can't get a strong enough WIFI signal to connect to the network.

Thanks.
There's no way to wirelessly print to a printer that doesn't have wireless access.

portcontrol7

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
How weak. The printer is "wireless", so it should be able to ad-hoc somehow... Hmmm.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How weak. The printer is "wireless", so it should be able to ad-hoc somehow... Hmmm.

The whole purpose of a wireless printer is to have it join a wireless network, so computers on that network can print to it. If it's not on the network, they can't see it.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
My whole use of the printer consists of me, my mbp, and my printer.

Move the router closer to the Printer so that it can reach it. Make sure you position it so that it will also reach your MBP. If you still need range, get another router to extend the first on, one closer to the MBP and one closer to the Printer.

RonaldTurner

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2012
"Hello,

I would like to print from my iPad.

My printer is Not one of the new AirPrint types as it is about four years old.

It is, of, course, always connected to my pc via a USB cable
I also have a USB jack on my new router, but have not played with it yet.

Is there an app I can use to print via wifi to my printer ? (assume pc will be on) ?"

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
"Hello,

I would like to print from my iPad.

My printer is Not one of the new AirPrint types as it is about four years old.

It is, of, course, always connected to my pc via a USB cable
I also have a USB jack on my new router, but have not played with it yet.

Is there an app I can use to print via wifi to my printer ? (assume pc will be on) ?"
AirPrint Activator will enable you to use any shared printer as an AirPrint printer.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado

You can print to most wireless printers via an ad-hoc connection. But of course you'll probably have to swap away from the network connection to do so.

It sounds like your frustrated in not being able to print wirelessly. Why not just relocate the printer? I keep mine in a out-of-way spot in my den.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.