Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Just curious.

I believe this is the first notebook to have the HDMI port. Why was Apple so against it previously?

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
I think it was because they have to pay to license it, while displayport is an open, free standard. I might be wrong though.

I guess HDMI turned out so widely used they just decided to jump on it afterall.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
It's fair to assume they did it because consumers wanted it. If it was up to them, they would still keep pushing that (currently) pointless thunderbolt port and the HDMI adapter.

It's long overdue.

Vexed

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
Because much cheaper laptops have included it for years, and with most consumers adopting HDTV's and nearly all tech associated with (video games, DVR's, Satellite receivers, etc.) are using it as the universal standard for 1080p.

It's also just ridiculously easy to use. It's pretty awesome to just be able to plug it into the side of my laptop if I want to watch something on my living room TV.

calmasacow

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Houston, TX
for the people that this thing is targeting Thunderbolt is not pointless. It is the point. It is heavily used in the new AV hardware that is out there.

Penooker

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
I think it was because they have to pay to license it, while displayport is an open, free standard. I might be wrong though.

I guess HDMI turned out so widely used they just decided to jump on it afterall.

Which is odd since mini displayport adapters are getting so freaking common, because of Mac's. Every single conference room I've seen in the past year and a half have had them. Maybe I just run around Apple heavy shops.

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
maybe it has something to do w/ apple's upcoming living room market strategy?

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
for the people that this thing is targeting Thunderbolt is not pointless. It is the point. It is heavily used in the new AV hardware that is out there.

Heavily used, I'd beg to differ. There are a handful of peripherals, most being just external Hard drives. In my eyes, they are slamming thunderbolt down our throats when there is clearly no demand from 95% of consumers.

The entire release of thunderbolt was way overrated...and even after 1.5yrs, peripherals are still rolling out as slow as ever with most priced way too high.

Pared3s

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
Why do you think they included it on the Retina and not the regular Macbook Pro?

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Why do you think they included it on the Retina and not the regular Macbook Pro?

Just so they can classify it as the next gen MBP. They will eventually phase out the old MBP lineup, no need in changing the design to accommodate an hdmi.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008

They didn't change the form/interior of the non-Retina MBP at all. If they added an HDMI port stuff inside would have had to change.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I'd guess it's on the Retina because you can fit it in the side without changing form factor, while DVI wouldn't fit.

Also, it's a very common interface.

eodp3

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
its cool because with the 2 TB ports (ie also DisplayPorts) and the HDMI, 3 external monitors is going to rock.

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Think this could have been potentially one of the first decisions we have seen from Apple which wouldn't have happened under Steve Jobs. Want to stress that isn't me doing the stereotypical "Apple sucks, x wouldn't have happened under Jobs"

Does the HDMI port kinda take away some of the functionality of AppleTV too?

Queen6

macrumors G4

To make the Retina more attractive to the consumer, Apple left the Pro`s alone several years ago. If the R-MBP works for Pro`s it`s just a coincidence as by far they are the minority, however on a Keynote exemplifying the "Professional" attributes of the R-MBP is very clever psychology for the masses ;) this is not to say that the latest generation is a poor machine far from it...

Retina machines are the future of Mac for Apple, the legacy MBP is just to ease the transition, had Steve jobs still been around, the bandage would have been simply "ripped off" and we would have a choice of one, take it or leave it. If anything the R-MBP is the Mac Steve alway`s wanted to market no user intervention on hardware...

Last edited:

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
I also found this inclusion of HDMI one of the more interesting parts of the new RMBP.

I can't help but think Steve was the main opposition, and now tat he's gone...

If you think about it... they are really hurting thunderbolt, with usb 3.0 and HDMI, of course its good for the consumer.

I just don't know what they were thinking... with ML they have wireless mirroring, so you can show content on your tv easily, no need for HDMI. I know not everyone has an apple TV, but that is the sort of stuff apple usually does, they don't care whether everybody has their ecosystem, they kind of force you to buy into it.

So I'm really interested in some insight, what could their angle possibly have been. It is so unlike apple and almost feels weird seeing it.

On a different topic, TRIPLE external displays???? two thunderbolt monsters PLUS an even more inmense retina internal display??? whats the pixel count? Insane thats what it is, add HDMI 1080p to that and that is going to choke the GPU, or at least warm it up nicely.

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Mac Mini got an HDMI port once it was last redesigned did it not?

Apple likely thought other ports were more important on the limited space of the older model MacBook Pro's. Now that they have two sides of IO they can use the space more effectively and incorporate more ports. I HIGHLY doubt this has anything to do with Steve Jobs passing.

Phil21

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
I think the answer is a lot more simple...

Connecting to conference room projectors? Kind of one of the most lacking things on the "pro" lineup until now, that we've noticed at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.