Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmage

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
San Francisco
I'm thinking about getting RMBP or Mini+Air.

I would use it for programming, both web and iOS/Mac applications.

My current 2009 MacBook Pro was a fantastic machine until Xcode4 happened.

---

If I get RMBP, I'm afraid it will break and I will be without a Mac, which is for me like walking on a street naked. Also it's very expensive. But it's powerful.

If I get two computers, they will be both not very powerful, and I don't think they'll last for very long. On the other hand, it would be cheaper to buy a Mac Mini now, and still use the Pro as portable computer, then maybe someday replace it with an Air.

---

Also, I would use it mostly at home office, 2-3 times a week in school, and maybe 1/3 of year traveling.

---

Anybody has been in the same place? Any advice? Thanks!

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
With the new RMBP being Apple's flagship mac now I can't see them dropping Xcode support very soon.

It depends on what spec the mini and the air would have? bottom or top of the range?

wmage

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
San Francisco
With the new RMBP being Apple's flagship mac now I can't see them dropping Xcode support very soon.

It depends on what spec the mini and the air would have? bottom or top of the range?

I was thinking $800 Mac Mini with dedicated graphics (but only 2-core) and the $1.200 Air, that is bottom 13 inch spec.

Also I'm seriously considering Hackintosh, only that would probably be like good old Linux times - I would have to spend a lot of time fixing problems.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I have gone with the Retina MBP, I think that was the right choice for my situation. (which is quite similar to your situation)

I think you would benefit from the extra power in the macbook pro when using xcode.

wmage

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
San Francisco
I decided I'm not getting any new computer at this time.

Should I get the new Retina, I know it would be more for the kicks than out of a need.

I'll wait for Retinas to be more affordable. I'm guessing in 3 years even the Airs will have Retina display.

And my current laptop is only 3 years old and in perfect condition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.