Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justin941

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Can you plug in a game console like a Xbox 360 into the RMBP hdmi port to use the retina display for gaming?

Justin941

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Is there any way I can use the retina display with an Xbox, perhaps via USB 3.0 to hdmi, or thunderbolt?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You'll have to use a TV tuner card. Remember, 1080p is far below the resolution of the retina display and it may not look very good.

intermedial

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
No.

The Blackmagic Intensity is a video capture device... you would be seeing your Xbox display in the preview box of FCP/premier/blackmagic media express... there is also no audio.

Edit: snagged by the above poster, but since I own one, I'll just add that I don't think there is any noticeable lag. I use the Intensity to do a live video feed into Isadora for live theatre projection displays and performances. Less precise than gaming, certainly, but the actors are able to take their cues on time. (we have to use an audio interface and system to run the audio since we're doing this live)

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
No.

The Blackmagic Intensity is a video capture device... you would be seeing your Xbox display in the preview box of FCP/premier/blackmagic media express... there is also no audio.

Edit: snagged by the above poster, but since I own one, I'll just add that I don't think there is any noticeable lag. I use the Intensity to do a live video feed into Isadora for live theatre projection displays and performances. Less precise than gaming, certainly, but the actors are able to take their cues on time.

Sure, but you can still play it that way... if you're a masochist.

(Playing xbox games on Mac isn't the reason I ordered it by the way :) )

Edit: Thanks for the extra info in your edit. It's interesting that you don't see much lag. I can't wait to get mine.

endrju.m

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks for the extra info in your edit. It's interesting that you don't see much lag. I can't wait to get mine.

Have you ever tried to attach a XBOX and play? Was the lag noticeable? I'm looking for a way be able to use my Thuderbolt Display from time to time.

pmath

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2013
No you cannot just plug the Xbox into the MacBook Pro 2012 via built-in HDMI port. There is no way to switch inputs on MacBook display.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Don't do it, even if you could (and I think there are some workarounds) the lag would kill any type of gaming you're trying to do there, especially if you're playing any online or FPS. Also the thought of physically connecting MS hardware to my MBP makes me feel a little nauseous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.