Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Is this true?

http://easternmorningherald.com/motorola-droid-razr-maxx-edges-iphone-on-verizon-sales-charts/128110/

If so that is a pretty rare occurrence. I love my MAXX and hopefully when ICS 4.0 comes (Moto says before the end of 2nd quarter 2012) it will only get better. Battery life and 4G LTE speed is great.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
yes it's true and that doesn't surprise me at all I sold my 4s not long after I got my Maxx. I can't wait for the razr HD coming soon. 720 display, 12MP camera, bigger screen and the same amazing battery from the Maxx. it's going to break sales records for Verizon

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
yes it's true and that doesn't surprise me at all I sold my 4s not long after I got my Maxx. I can't wait for the razr HD coming soon. 720 display, 12MP camera, bigger screen and the same amazing battery from the Maxx. it's going to break sales records for Verizon

Let's not kid yourself here. Every tom, dick, and harry (or at least the vast majority of Verizon users) who have an iphone 4/4s are all waiting for the the LTE iphone.

No Razr Maxx HD is going to set records for Verizon phones the way the iPhone has.

While it's supriseing the 4 month old Razr Maxx outsold the 9 month old iPhone 4S, it's not shocking.

1. Verizon finally dropped the price of the Maxx down to $199 on contract
2. Like I said, Verizon users have already upgraded to the iPhone 4/4S within the past 17 months the iPhone has been available on Verizon and just waiting for the LTE iphone

What I am surprised about is that the Galaxy Nexus CDMA/LTE version is still number 3 in sales. That's a POS phone I brought on day 1 on December 15th. Have antenna issues for 4 months and finally gave up on the CDMA/LTE Gnex in March.

Mike49

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
My ATT iPhone 4 contract is up next month, and the Razr Maxx is in my top 3 for switching. It looks to be an awesome device.

I've had the iPhone since the 3G, and quite frankly I'm tired of dealing with ATT and iTunes.:eek:

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Honestly Apple can not expect to release one phone a year and compete.

I think it interesting because when the iPhone came to Verizon many analysts predicted that it would be game over for every other phone on the carrier and they would never be able to compete again.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
As with many cults, when the leader dies some of the people wake up to what is going on and the fact that your religion is really a cult. Then they look around and see there are better alternatives.

Let the flaming begin:cool:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I think it interesting because when the iPhone came to Verizon many analysts predicted that it would be game over for every other phone on the carrier and they would never be able to compete again.

I don't remember that being the prevailing thought but there's always a crazy analyst to give up a good quote.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Verizon does a lot of "steering" in their stores.

Guess the spiff this month on the MAXX was good.

Umm, a quarter is THREE months, not one :rolleyes:

Plus, I have seen Verizon's salesmen pushing the 4s in the store so many times its ridiculous. Verizon paid a TON to get 4.2 million iPhones, you bet your butt they want their money back off them. Not to mention all the posters for the iPhone everywhere in the store, not one for the Maxx.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I believe it because Verizon employees are instructed to push android phones over the iPhone cause the commission is much larger. Especially on the "droid" line that Verizon helped create. I bet out of every 10 uninformed consumers going into a vzw store wanting an iPhone, 6 of them get steered into buying a droid.

npggirl

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
City of your dreams
As with many cults, when the leader dies some of the people wake up to what is going on and the fact that your religion is really a cult. Then they look around and see there are better alternatives.

Let the flaming begin:cool:

Honestly, people should flame you.
All it comes down to is people like what they like.
You have those that love Apple, and those that love Droids...
But you make it out as a type of Religion/Cult?
Idiosyncratic, to say the very least.
People always want to talk about others for their likes and dislikes.
WHO cares? Seriously! Are they bothering you?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
http://m.cnet.com/news/razr-maxx-unseats-iphone-for-first-time-on-verizon/57452815

"The iPhone has lost the throne as the best-selling smartphone at all North American carriers...

...the iPhone is still the top-seller this quarter on AT&T and Sprint, but that the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx is the new king of the hill on Verizon"

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
I believe it because Verizon employees are instructed to push android phones over the iPhone cause the commission is much larger. Especially on the "droid" line that Verizon helped create. I bet out of every 10 uninformed consumers going into a vzw store wanting an iPhone, 6 of them get steered into buying a droid.

wrong, see above. You want to talk about what phone Verizon pushes? I have seen the Smauel L. Jackson, Zooey and Malkovich Verizon 4s commercials so many times I want to puke. How many times have you seen a commercial for the Razr Maxx? Like never. iPhone fanboys don't realize the Maxx is the superior phone here. Larger display, much better build quality with is Kevlar backing, stainless steel sides and Gorilla Glass, much better battery, removable storage and 4G LTE. It was only a matter of time.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Verizon does a lot of "steering" in their stores.

Guess the spiff this month on the MAXX was good.

There are a number of threads discussing this, but I'm pretty sure the commission on android phones are a lot higher for VZW employees than iPhones.

They're not competing. They're winning where it matters ($$$). By a lot.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
wrong, see above. You want to talk about marketing? I have seen the Smauel L. Jackson, Zooey and Malkovich Verizon 4s commercials so many times I want to puke. How many times have you seen a commercial for the Razr Maxx? Like never. iPhone fanboys don't realize the Maxx is the superior phone here. Larger display, much better build quality with is Kevlar backing, stainless steel sides and Gorilla Glass, much better battery, removable storage and 4G LTE. It was only a matter of time.

I might add that ICS 4.0.4 should be launching in the next few weeks. Looking at how restrained Moto was with their software skin and all the new features will make this nice phone even better. I'm a huge fan of Smart Actions and MotoCast.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
False logic for morons in play here.

Let's keep this as simple.

The iPhone has been the best selling phone on Verizon for over a year consistently, month after month, and tends to see a fall in demand right before the next iteration drops and people start playing the wait and see game.

The RAZR will be forgotten in a week except by those suckered into getting one on a two year contract.

There is no such thing as a good Droid Phone.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
http://m.cnet.com/news/razr-maxx-unseats-iphone-for-first-time-on-verizon/57452815

"The iPhone has lost the throne as the best-selling smartphone at all North American carriers...

...the iPhone is still the top-seller this quarter on AT&T and Sprint, but that the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx is the new king of the hill on Verizon"

"Doradla says they don't believe consumers are holding off on iPhone purchases in anticipation of a next-generation phone just yet, but that may change in the next few months"

That's a quote from the CNET article for those who didn't both to read.

It shows you that Mark Twain's quote about those who read the news are misinformed.

Consumers are holding off on the iphone purchase because:

1. They wanted to see what WWDC was all about
2. They know a new iPhone is coming in the new couple of months.
3. Those who wanted an iphone already got an iPhone 4/4s within the past 17months on Verizon already.

"average consumers" are average anymore. They ask us "techies" for advice. My advice to a co-worker who has Verizon means a lot more than the Verizon employee.

I am like Fox News with my Co-workers. I am "fair and balance" I tell my co-workers if they want a phone right now, I would get the Razr Maxx.

But if they insist on getting an iPhone like one of my co-workers who has a Droid Incredible 2. I tell her to wait for a few months (september/october) for LTE iphone and to avoid CDMA iPhone at this time.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
We could go on and on why this happened, however in the end the Verizon CDMA iPhone is outdated next to competition like the MAXX. Compare the two and it's not even close. I love Apple stuff and own all sorts of it, but I'd never trade my MAXX for an iPhone and lose screen size, LTE speed, ability to talk and surf on 4G, and amazing battery life.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
We could go on and on why this happened, however in the end the Verizon CDMA iPhone is outdated next to competition like the MAXX. Compare the two and it's not even close. I love Apple stuff and own all sorts of it, but I'd never trade my MAXX for an iPhone and lose screen size, LTE speed, ability to talk and surf on 4G, and amazing battery life.

But the real question is:

Where the heck is ICS for the Droid Razr/Maxx? I am talking about the offical/non-rooted version.

I guess you will never see JellyBean with the Razr Maxx

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
"Doradla says they don't believe consumers are holding off on iPhone purchases in anticipation of a next-generation phone just yet, but that may change in the next few months"

That's a quote from the CNET article for those who didn't both to read.

It shows you that Mark Twain's quote about those who read the news are misinformed.

Consumers are holding off on the iphone purchase because:

1. They wanted to see what WWDC was all about
2. They know a new iPhone is coming in the new couple of months.
3. Those who wanted an iphone already got an iPhone 4/4s within the past 17months on Verizon already.

LOL, what? Can YOU read? It says they DONT believe consumers are holding off on iPhone purchases in anticipation of a new one...

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012

That is even more true because there is no drastic change from the very beginning form factor wise whereas there is so much choice outside.
Situation would be different with iPhone P and iPhone Ps being both available the same year, thus 6 months frequency.
Also with people on average going for less to no subsidization AAPL price point remains a bit too high

----------

LOL, what? Can YOU read? It says they DONT believe consumers are holding off on iPhone purchases in anticipation of a new one...

I am holding off for more than 12 months :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.