Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
Is this app supposed to work in this Beta? I click on the icon and it loads up showing Boarding Passes, Tickets, Store Cards and Coupons but nothing is clickable?

Just curious because it sounds a great idea.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
There are a few threads about this already. Once apps start adding the integration you'll see things in passbook. For now there are none

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Thanks for the prompt replies. I really hope the UK make use of this app.

agree. This is one of the apps I'm looking forward the most. I have tried using many apps like this before, but was always disappointed, by either limited functionality or ugly design. Most of all Im anticipating the boarding pass feature.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
agree. This is one of the apps I'm looking forward the most. I have tried using many apps like this before, but was always disappointed, by either limited functionality or ugly design. Most of all Im anticipating the boarding pass feature.

EasyJet here we come hahaha

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
We should consider using this thread to include the apps that do work with Passbook once they start rolling out and updating the first post accordingly...

ebolamonkey3

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Boston
If the next iPhone has NFC this could end up being a great idea.

I really hope it does. Google, the carriers and the credit card companies have been trying to push it for a few months now. If Apple is on board then it'll take off for sure.

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
I really hope it does. Google, the carriers and the credit card companies have been trying to push it for a few months now. If Apple is on board then it'll take off for sure.

Several analysts have made the point that Bluetooth 4 could serve this same purpose... and perhaps it would be better.

I don't care for the QR codes but they do work... radio-based would be much better though.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Several analysts have made the point that Bluetooth 4 could serve this same purpose... and perhaps it would be better.

I don't care for the QR codes but they do work... radio-based would be much better though.

It would be great if I didn't have to buy a new iPhone right away to get that NFC sort of functionality. Hopefully we'll get more news about this soon.

larrysanchez12

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Edinburgh, Scotland
Get a test pass!

Hi, I have created an example php code that will generate a test pass for you to try out! If you click here the script will generate a .pkpass file wich is an example boarding pass..I cant get this to work in safari on iphone yet, so at the minute you need to run this on your desktop and email the file to your iphone.

I am just in the midst of getting a site setup for this, so sorry for the bitly url.

http://bit.ly/KHFOtW

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
Hi, I have created an example php code that will generate a test pass for you to try out! If you click here the script will generate a .pkpass file wich is an example boarding pass..I cant get this to work in safari on iphone yet, so at the minute you need to run this on your desktop and email the file to your iphone.

I am just in the midst of getting a site setup for this, so sorry for the bitly url.

http://bit.ly/KHFOtW

Fantastic. Many Thanks it worked a treat and I did it all from my iPhone using the Downloads app

YouArentJ

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2008
Orlando
Thanks Futhark - for anyone that has been trying it in the past couple of minutes, I had a server issue! it should be working again now.

Thanks

This worked for me without having to download/email. The only obstacle i ran into was having the "Box" application installed on the iPhone - it wanted to open/save to box, rather than in Passbook. Once Box was uninstalled, worked perfectly.

larrysanchez12

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Edinburgh, Scotland
This worked for me without having to download/email. The only obstacle i ran into was having the "Box" application installed on the iPhone - it wanted to open/save to box, rather than in Passbook. Once Box was uninstalled, worked perfectly.

I had the same issue actually - I have logmein on my iphone and it tried to open it with that. Hopefully this glitch will be sorted when apple release ios6 to the public - however it would now seem that apps installed on your iPhone can 'open files' downloaded through safari!

larrysanchez12

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi guys,

I have created a page so you can now edit the variables in the boarding pass. I hope to make this a fully fledged pass generator for every type you can imagine, but at the minute this is all I have had the time to work on!

Sorry for the shortened URL again - I am still in the process of setting up a domain for this!

http://bit.ly/M4t7JE

Cheers :)

Last edited:

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I really hope bands start using this. Imagine that, no more (or at least, WAY less) ticket scalpers on eBay and more people would get the tickets they want. It could also take control away from the venues and some of the associated corruption (remember that Dispatches programme on TV about ViaGoGo in the UK?).

Fingers crossed! As a music student and musician myself, I have high hopes for Passbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.