Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Asatar
macrumors newbie

Is jail breaking even worth it anymore for the average user?

I've been fully jailbroken on my iPad and iPhone for about a year now and I'm wondering, is it even worth it unless you're a tech power user who wants access to the file system, VPN networks etc?

Here's a list of what jailbreak tweaks I have installed right now:

IntelliscreenX - only used for changing settings which I don't do very often on an iPad, essential on an iPhone though!

Winterboard / Dreamboard - yes themes are nice, but the stock Apple one is very elegant and never has any lag issues which some themes do have

Springtomize - perhaps the best reason I have for jail breaking, I have my main 5 apps across the middle of my first page then my folders in a square on the second page

MountainLionCentre - purely aesthetic

Quasar / SwipeSelection - nice ideas but not very practical, neither is used often by me

MultiIconMover - useful when setting up an iPad, not really the rest of the time

MyWi - ok this is downright amazing, although honestly I don't use it very much. I might do if I had a 4G iPhone and great 4g coverage[/list]
Other than mywi, springtomize and perhaps theming, is there any compelling reason to jailbreak an iPad nowadays?

Thoughts welcome!
--- White iPad 2 64GB ---
Asatar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:40 PM   #2
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040

One of my main reasons is for the themes. I like changing up the icons/LS/SB themes with widgets and all that. Now that iOS supports wifi syncing, WiFi Sync is out, with iOS 6 we'll finally have pull to refresh (at least for mail), Facetime eventually working over cellular (no need for 3G Unrestrictor anymore) and probably some other little tweaks that the JB scene once held in high honor. Why, to this day, Apple still hasn't allowed something like MultiIconMover is beyond me. Setting up the icons through iTunes is a PITA as is doing it on the iPad itself. Seriously, no harm in allowing users to move more than one icon at a time

I guess my needs for JB'ing are pretty trivial compared to others however, if Apple allowed users to buy icon themes like they do apps, I think it would open up a whole new level of customization that is seriously lacking in iOS. Plus it'd be more money for them too.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:16 PM   #3
thelead
macrumors 6502

Depends on how much time you have to devote to customizing your ipad. I don't have much time for it, so I don't need it anymore. I will say though, apple really needs to have some sort of demo system. Installous is a great tool for those that legitimately wants to just demo something before spending $10-100 on a single app. I can say that I've spent tons of money because of installous in the past. Still, I've had some buggy experiences with the latest JB, so I uninstalled the JB.
thelead is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 03:37 PM   #4
JMG
macrumors 6502a

Swipeselect and ncsettings are vital and more than enough resins to jailbreak.

Mac Pro Mac Mini
Macbook Pro Ipad 3 64gb iPhone 4S 64gb
iTouch 8gb iPod Classic 160gb Nano 8gb Shuffle 4gb Shuffle 2gb Apple TV
JMG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:33 PM   #5
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG View Post
amen to that.

and using springtomize (or several other tweaks do this) to add more icons to you springboard. 4 apps a row? come on apple, thats a lot of wasted space, and makes it really look like an oversized iphone/touch

i use 6 in portrait, and 7 in landscape.
BFizzzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:44 AM   #6
dieburnbot
macrumors 6502a

Sbsettings, safari download enabler, safari upload enabler, zephyr, wee kill background pro, any attach, backforwardlist, blurrier nc background, dater, fast clear, giffy, Infinifolders (MAJOR reason), Itransmission 2, Open Notifier, Swipe Safari, User Agent Faker, 3G Unrestrictor, iFile, and BiteSMS are just a few.

Edit: forgot about TruPrint can't live without that one.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:39 AM   #7
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG View Post
BTW, instead of Swipeselect, I recommend SwipeShiftCaret - see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1384723
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
BTW, instead of Swipeselect, I recommend SwipeShiftCaret - see http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1384723
Thanks
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:27 PM   #9
JMG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Yup, switched over a few days ago and I think I like SwipeShiftCaret better.

Mac Pro Mac Mini
Macbook Pro Ipad 3 64gb iPhone 4S 64gb
iTouch 8gb iPod Classic 160gb Nano 8gb Shuffle 4gb Shuffle 2gb Apple TV
JMG is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks