Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:02 PM   #51
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
Seems theres a war going on between ipad 2 & ipad 3 users

Fascinating
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:06 PM   #52
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Seems theres a war going on between ipad 2 & ipad 3 users

Fascinating
it's more like there is a grossly misinformed iPad 3 user gone wild who thinks anyone who went with an iPad 2 is an idiot

of course, you are free to form your own conclusions
Medic311 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:15 PM   #53
Che Castro
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: May 2009
Don't let it bother you
Che Castro is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:15 PM   #54
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
Seems theres a war going on between ipad 2 & ipad 3 users

Fascinating
Because people fell for the A5X marketing hype. Both devices perform about the same. Unfortunately some think you're 50 cards shy of a full deck for implying it. Watch the Youtube video for yourself and see real world results. It's basically a wash between both the 2 and the 3.

And everyone who thinks the iPad 3 is far superior never provides links to show that's the case.
Rodster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:25 PM   #55
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
Because people fell for the A5X marketing hype. Both devices perform about the same. Unfortunately some think you're 50 cards shy of a full deck for implying it. Watch the Youtube video for yourself and see real world results. It's basically a wash between both the 2 and the 3.

And everyone who thinks the iPad 3 is far superior never provides links to show that's the case.
well put
Medic311 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:41 PM   #56
JMG
macrumors 6502a
 
JMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgg204 View Post
faster processor? the bump in graphics was just to support the retina display, nothing else. your "new" iPad won't load anything faster than my iPad 2.

battery life? the iPad 2 has better battery life.

the only feature i gave up by going with the iPad 2 was the retina screen and dictation. both of which were not worth an extra $180 for me. the only reason why i posted in the first place was to say that i'm glad i went with my choice, especially experiencing the heat issues first hand. as mentioned i didn't experience the yellow tinted screens, but the extra heat bothered me. how is that a "supposed" heat issue when i experience it for myself (not like many people who just read the forums). within spec and within comfort are two different things. just b/c the spec of components call out for such and such degrees, does that mean that your hand is sufficiently comfortable holding it?



what the hell is your point anyways? you just cut up my post into discrete chunks and quote them without realizing the entire meaning of the following paragraphs. what i said does nothing to support your claimed "point" because my purchase preference is independent of whether or not a defect results in a class action suit. i hate responding to people this way, but there is no way to address everything without doing it too



incorrect application of thermal paste happens a lot, not just to Macbook Pros. due to the aluminum unibody though, the consumer would feel an incorrect thermal paste application more easily than if it was plastic (hence all of the complaints of the hot bottom against people's legs). on a typical dell, incorrect application of thermal paste might not be realized by the consumer until components are actually damaged (besides the fact that the fan is on OD constantly). that is all i was saying, you misread again



yes, that is my opinion. i don't find the iPad 3 / "new" iPad to be as polished of a device as the iPad 2. are you going to keep flipping out in a forum until i change my mind?



let's kindly review my reasons again to determine the facts:

1) iPad 2 refurb was $319 vs iPad 3 at $499
2) iPad 2 runs cool and the iPad 3 was uncomfortable to hold for more than 5 minutes
3) iPad 2 charging time meets my needs better due to my line of work
4) iPad 2 screen is perfectly sufficient for my tasks, the retina screen for +$180 would be overkill


you have no basis for calling my reasoning invalid.
The first MacBook pro didn't have a unibody so your reasoning has no merit.

I've held my iPad 3 for an hour straight without feeling uncomfortable with the "heat"

Previously you were comparing the polished nature of apple products, now you are limiting it to the ipad2 to better suit your argument.

You basically are just trying to justify your purchase. As I said earlier, enjoy your product. I am enjoying mine because these problems you describe are moot.
__________________

Mac Pro Mac Mini
Macbook Pro Ipad 3 64gb iPhone 4S 64gb
iTouch 8gb iPod Classic 160gb Nano 8gb Shuffle 4gb Shuffle 2gb Apple TV
JMG is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:43 PM   #57
JMG
macrumors 6502a
 
JMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgg204 View Post
it's more like there is a grossly misinformed iPad 3 user gone wild who thinks anyone who went with an iPad 2 is an idiot

of course, you are free to form your own conclusions
I don't recall anyone calling anyone an idiot. You just thought there was a heat issue that is overblown. Sorry you feel so ********.
__________________

Mac Pro Mac Mini
Macbook Pro Ipad 3 64gb iPhone 4S 64gb
iTouch 8gb iPod Classic 160gb Nano 8gb Shuffle 4gb Shuffle 2gb Apple TV
JMG is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:48 PM   #58
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
What do heat issues have to do with yellow, blotchy screens? Has anyone posted anything relevant in this thread? Maybe a couple of relevant posts, the rest is just off-topic arguing.

So for anyone who acknowledges the blotchy pink/yellow/cyan problems with the retina displays: have you tried again lately? Have you had any luck? And if so, serial numbers please?
unobtainium is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:49 PM   #59
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG View Post
The first MacBook pro didn't have a unibody so your reasoning has no merit.

I've held my iPad 3 for an hour straight without feeling uncomfortable with the "heat"

Previously you were comparing the polished nature of apple products, now you are limiting it to the ipad2 to better suit your argument.

You basically are just trying to justify your purchase. As I said earlier, enjoy your product. I am enjoying mine because these problems you describe are moot.

1) ok so the first Macbook Pro didn't have a unibody...was the bottom still metal? you know what, i don't even care b/c it doesn't matter. you think that the Macbook Pro 1st gen was the only generation to have incorrectly applied / insufficient thermal paste?

2) you are the one who keeps expanding the argument. my original post was iPad 2 vs iPad 3/"new" iPad. obviously i have been talking about that comparison the entire time. it was you who started discussing all sorts of different products. stick to the point, better yet...have a point before you start quoting and attacking people when clearly you are misinformed...on to #3

3) i don't have to justify my purchase to anyone except myself. i couldn't care less what you actually think of my purchase decision, but i do care that you think my reasoning was flawed b/c according to you, my facts are incorrect. if anyone is incorrect here, it is you....spitting out tons of misinformation such as how the iPad 3 is faster and has better battery life. every single review of the iPad 2 vs iPad 3 has pointed to the fact that the A5X was developed solely to handle the retina display. the iPad 3 is not faster at all, and some reviews have actually stated it's slightly slower. since when does slower mean faster? every single review has also pointed out that the iPad 3 has LESS battery life and actually takes an ungodly long time to charge. so for you to sit there and tell me the iPad 3 is better for the very reasons that it's actually inferior, means you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG View Post
I don't recall anyone calling anyone an idiot. You just thought there was a heat issue that is overblown. Sorry you feel so ********.
i interpret you saying that my reasoning for purchasing an iPad 2 was invalid and that there is an overwhelming chance i made a misinformed decision, as essentially calling me an idiot. from reading your posts, one would get the conclusion that it's actually you who is misinformed and blatantly wrong about most if not everything you have said thus far

butt hurt? hardly. i'm actually a bit saddened that individuals such as yourself exist. i would rather be the one who purchases an iPad 2 where 1 of 5 reasons is the uncomfortable level of heat on the back, than the one who purchases the iPad 3 b/c they think it's faster

Last edited by Medic311; Jun 17, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:53 PM   #60
brentsg
macrumors 68030
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
Because people fell for the A5X marketing hype. Both devices perform about the same. Unfortunately some think you're 50 cards shy of a full deck for implying it. Watch the Youtube video for yourself and see real world results. It's basically a wash between both the 2 and the 3.

And everyone who thinks the iPad 3 is far superior never provides links to show that's the case.
The selling point was the display. They're pushing a ton of additional pixels so of course it's not going to run circles around the 2. I don't understand the debate.
brentsg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:59 PM   #61
Rodster
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
The selling point was the display. They're pushing a ton of additional pixels so of course it's not going to run circles around the 2. I don't understand the debate.
Neither do I. You need to ask those that claim the iPad 3 runs circles around the 2.
Rodster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:24 PM   #62
Markdek
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
Neither do I. You need to ask those that claim the iPad 3 runs circles around the 2.
Hardly running circles, 42% of ALL ipad purchases, since the introduction of the Ipad 3, have been iPad 2's. This is a fact, not opinion. But, that being said, I'm sure, w/ the advent of ios 6, the iPad 3 will begin to pull away from the iPad 2 in usability.
Markdek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:25 PM   #63
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markdek View Post
Hardly running circles, 42% of ALL ipad purchases, since the introduction of the Ipad 3, have been iPad 2's. This is a fact, not opinion. But, that being said, I'm sure, w/ the advent of ios 6, the iPad 3 will begin to pull away from the iPad 2 in usability.
and what's unfortunate, is it's artificial usability. the iPad 2 is perfectly capable of running Siri, but when iOS 6.0 comes out only the "new" iPad / iPad 3 will get it.

while i have an iPhone 4S with siri, i am very strongly against apple's decision to not include the iPad 2 in several key iOS 6 features

there is absolutely no reason why the iPad 2 can't have dictation as well
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:27 PM   #64
JMG
macrumors 6502a
 
JMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgg204 View Post
1) ok so the first Macbook Pro didn't have a unibody...was the bottom still metal? you know what, i don't even care b/c it doesn't matter. you think that the Macbook Pro 1st gen was the only generation to have incorrectly applied / insufficient thermal paste?

2) you are the one who keeps expanding the argument. my original post was iPad 2 vs iPad 3/"new" iPad. obviously i have been talking about that comparison the entire time. it was you who started discussing all sorts of different products. stick to the point, better yet...have a point before you start quoting and attacking people when clearly you are misinformed...on to #3

3) i don't have to justify my purchase to anyone except myself. i couldn't care less what you actually think of my purchase decision, but i do care that you think my reasoning was flawed b/c according to you, my facts are incorrect. if anyone is incorrect here, it is you....spitting out tons of misinformation such as how the iPad 3 is faster and has better battery life. every single review of the iPad 2 vs iPad 3 has pointed to the fact that the A5X was developed solely to handle the retina display. the iPad 3 is not faster at all, and some reviews have actually stated it's slightly slower. since when does slower mean faster? every single review has also pointed out that the iPad 3 has LESS battery life and actually takes an ungodly long time to charge. so for you to sit there and tell me the iPad 3 is better for the very reasons that it's actually inferior, means you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about

----------



i interpret you saying that my reasoning for purchasing an iPad 2 was invalid and that there is an overwhelming chance i made a misinformed decision, as essentially calling me an idiot. from reading your posts, one would get the conclusion that it's actually you who is misinformed and blatantly wrong about most if not everything you have said thus far

butt hurt? hardly. i'm actually a bit saddened that individuals such as yourself exist. i would rather be the one who purchases an iPad 2 where 1 of 5 reasons is the uncomfortable level of heat on the back, than the one who purchases the iPad 3 b/c they think it's faster
I never said the 1st gen was the ONLY one. The existence of other problems with other generations only supports my argument, which you have totally sidetracked. Go back and read my post.

Your original post said that the iPad 3 doesn't live up to the polished standards of apple, I have you examples where other products were less than polished so actually the iPad 3 is on par. Is that so hard to understand?

Yeah, you sound really ********. And I agree you don't have to justify your purchase yet you spend all your time in this thread doing just that.

I have no heat issues and I'm enjoying my retina display. Ive never run out of battery juice because of the nature of my work You're only getting ******** that you couldn't pay a few hundred dollars for the superior display. Normally I would say good for you, to each his own, we all have different needs, but you are loving yourself way too much trying to make yourself feel better by basically telling the ipad3 owners that they bought an inferior product.
__________________

Mac Pro Mac Mini
Macbook Pro Ipad 3 64gb iPhone 4S 64gb
iTouch 8gb iPod Classic 160gb Nano 8gb Shuffle 4gb Shuffle 2gb Apple TV
JMG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:31 PM   #65
JMG
macrumors 6502a
 
JMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgg204 View Post
and what's unfortunate, is it's artificial usability. the iPad 2 is perfectly capable of running Siri, but when iOS 6.0 comes out only the "new" iPad / iPad 3 will get it.

while i have an iPhone 4S with siri, i am very strongly against apple's decision to not include the iPad 2 in several key iOS 6 features

there is absolutely no reason why the iPad 2 can't have dictation as well
Looks like you will be missing out on another cool feature. I'm glad I didn't make the mistake of getting an iPad 2 instead of the 3.

The above was sarcasm btw, how does it feel to be on the receiving end of such a passive aggressive statement?
__________________

Mac Pro Mac Mini
Macbook Pro Ipad 3 64gb iPhone 4S 64gb
iTouch 8gb iPod Classic 160gb Nano 8gb Shuffle 4gb Shuffle 2gb Apple TV
JMG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:44 PM   #66
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG View Post

Yeah, you sound really ********. And I agree you don't have to justify your purchase yet you spend all your time in this thread doing just that.
not at all, just simply (and rather exhaustively) trying to set the record straight with you since your lack of reading comprehension is making it difficult to get my point across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG View Post

I have no heat issues and I'm enjoying my retina display. Ive never run out of battery juice because of the nature of my work You're only getting ******** that you couldn't pay a few hundred dollars for the superior display. Normally I would say good for you, to each his own, we all have different needs, but you are loving yourself way too much trying to make yourself feel better by basically telling the ipad3 owners that they bought an inferior product.
how would you know my financial situation? of course i could pay the $180, but why would i if i don't value what i'm getting for it? that level of decision making doesn't mean i am broke, it means i am smart with my money. now granted, of course if my income was in the millions each year i wouldn't give a hoot about iPad prices. but since none of us here fall into that category, i think making a prudent financial judgment call by fully evaluating the options is a sign of responsibility and not being "cheap" as you are accusing me of being above.

never once did i say that you, as an owner of iPad 3, purchased an inferior product. find that statement in my posts and quote me (since you're rather skilled at this quoting nonsense it seems). however i did say that you are grossly misinformed about nearly all of the reasons of why you think your iPad 3 is better than my iPad 2. yes, you have a retina screen (and dictation), never once did i deny that. however your claim of faster processing and better battery life over the iPad is ridiculous! have you read what you actually wrote?

again...i would rather be the one who purchased an iPad 2 for any reason at this point (how about flipping a coin?), than the one like you who purchased the iPad 3 b/c they think it's faster and has better battery life.

you honestly fail

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMG View Post
Looks like you will be missing out on another cool feature. I'm glad I didn't make the mistake of getting an iPad 2 instead of the 3.
nope, i have it on my 4S
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:48 PM   #67
americaroma
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I use colorprofiles from cydia, fixed my screen, no more yellow or pink screen
americaroma is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:04 PM   #68
JMG
macrumors 6502a
 
JMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgg204 View Post
not at all, just simply (and rather exhaustively) trying to set the record straight with you since your lack of reading comprehension is making it difficult to get my point across.



how would you know my financial situation? of course i could pay the $180, but why would i if i don't value what i'm getting for it? that level of decision making doesn't mean i am broke, it means i am smart with my money. now granted, of course if my income was in the millions each year i wouldn't give a hoot about iPad prices. but since none of us here fall into that category, i think making a prudent financial judgment call by fully evaluating the options is a sign of responsibility and not being "cheap" as you are accusing me of being above.

never once did i say that you, as an owner of iPad 3, purchased an inferior product. find that statement in my posts and quote me (since you're rather skilled at this quoting nonsense it seems). however i did say that you are grossly misinformed about nearly all of the reasons of why you think your iPad 3 is better than my iPad 2. yes, you have a retina screen (and dictation), never once did i deny that. however your claim of faster processing and better battery life over the iPad is ridiculous! have you read what you actually wrote?

again...i would rather be the one who purchased an iPad 2 for any reason at this point (how about flipping a coin?), than the one like you who purchased the iPad 3 b/c they think it's faster and has better battery life.

you honestly fail

----------



nope, i have it on my 4S
Too bad it's not on your iPad.

I get you point. It has come across pretty clear that you can't read past your own words. Go back and re-read my posts. Sometimes it helps to read things twice to comprehend what people are saying.
__________________

Mac Pro Mac Mini
Macbook Pro Ipad 3 64gb iPhone 4S 64gb
iTouch 8gb iPod Classic 160gb Nano 8gb Shuffle 4gb Shuffle 2gb Apple TV

Last edited by JMG; Jun 18, 2012 at 03:39 AM.
JMG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:00 PM   #69
Ipadfever
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgg204 View Post
it's a sad fact, but i think eventually Apple will work with the suppliers to get it right.

i'm just glad i went with an ipad 2 refurb 16GB wifi for $319. i was tempted to get the new iPad when i tried it out in the store. while i didn't see any yellow tinted screens, those iPads were insanely hot just for sitting there. now granted they were on 100% brightness, but i keep my iPad 2 at 85% so i'm not too far off

i think the iPad 3 or "new" iPad is a brilliant feat of engineering, i just think the way it was executed doesn't historically follow the polished nature of Apple's products
I know what you mean, from personal experience a yellow iPad eventually turns into a pinkish hue. I never in my wildest imagination would have expected to see so many screens with so many variants of colors.

When a product is labeled as "resolutionary" I expect nothing less.
Ipadfever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:49 PM   #70
Geekbabe
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Why are people fighting? Everybody decides to buy devices based on their unique needs don't they?
Geekbabe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:08 PM   #71
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
After returning a few blotchy units around launch time, I thought I'd try again this week. And I finally hit the jackpot. Perfect screen, bright whites, no pink or cyan, and no yellow tint that I can detect (the yellow never really stood out to me like the pink/cyan blotches anyway). Happy to finally have an iPad 3 I can keep.
unobtainium is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:49 PM   #72
TinyBFK
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikatika View Post
To OP: Week 16, DY serial number. It is without a doubt perfect. Whites are white, screen is bright and clear, no discoloration, yellow or otherwise, anywhere!
Same here. Got a 64GB at Best buy this month with a DY serial number and it's flawless!
TinyBFK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:59 PM   #73
Medic311
macrumors 68000
 
Medic311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBFK View Post
Same here. Got a 64GB at Best buy this month with a DY serial number and it's flawless!
funny you said that. 2 of my friends who bought iPads 3's from Best Buy don't have ANY of the issues that people seem to be having on the forums (most of which i presume bought it from the Apple Store or Apple.com). i wonder if it's a coincidence or if there is a correlation formed here...
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:06 PM   #74
Simacca
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK, South East.
Tried 3 DY's and only one had a white screen. I ended up with a pink DY because I changed the white one due to dust under the screen. In theory I should of just kept the one with dust.

Got rid of the pink hue with a jailbreak and color profiles app.

Very happy now
Simacca is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:09 PM   #75
Tikatika
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgg204 View Post
funny you said that. 2 of my friends who bought iPads 3's from Best Buy don't have ANY of the issues that people seem to be having on the forums (most of which i presume bought it from the Apple Store or Apple.com). i wonder if it's a coincidence or if there is a correlation formed here...
My launch date iPad 3 was purchased online from apple.com. Pink, green, yellow and gray splotchy screen. My second one I am writing this on is perfection...clear, bright white screen, no yellowing or other colors anywhere. It is a DY purchased from Best Buy in May.
Tikatika is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iMac 21 Yellow Tint Issue aware iMac 8 Apr 19, 2014 09:15 PM
iPhone 5 Yellow Tint Issue, anyone else? Updated: Example Picture Added! Nashville iPhone 123 Nov 18, 2012 11:26 AM
rMBP screen - yellow tint on the left/red tint on the right? tadziak MacBook Pro 1 Oct 26, 2012 11:17 PM
Anyone has an iPhone 5 that did NOT have yellow tint issue rainman7 iPhone 34 Oct 4, 2012 10:00 PM
iPhone 5 Screen Yellow Tint Issue dadoftwogirls iPhone 10 Sep 21, 2012 11:06 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC