Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windmill83

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Will AirPrint work on a dual-band WiFi network? All the printers I looked at only supported 2.4 Ghz WiFi. My iPad 3 is connected to the 5 Ghz band. Will AirPrint work across bands or does the iPad also need to be connected via 2.4Ghz?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It should since your AP presumably operates on both. That is, unless you've configured them to be separate.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Even though they are different WiFi bands (and have different SSIDs), they are both part of the same network - so it won't be any problem. You won't even notice the difference.

My Canon printer and my iPad work fine together despite being on different bands (I use an Airport Extreme base station).

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Should work. I have something similar, but I did notice I had to make sure I was using WPA or better. WEP would not work for me. Not an iPad issue, but more of an issue that my AirPrint Printer would not connect with the network properly under WEP, so WPA was my only choice.

Just a note in case you want to run WEP for some reason and can't get it to work.

windmill83

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Even though they are different WiFi bands (and have different SSIDs), they are both part of the same network - so it won't be any problem. You won't even notice the difference.

My Canon printer and my iPad work fine together despite being on different bands (I use an Airport Extreme base station).
Thanks. That's the information I was looking for. I have a Netgear WNDR3800 dual-band router with the iPad 3 connected to the 5 Ghz band using WPA2 encryption. Hopefully it will work when I connect an AirPrint printer to the 2.4 Ghz band. Each band on my network has its own unique SSID. Does that matter? Also, do any brands of printers work better in this setup than others?

Last edited:

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I have an Epson WorkForce 520 connected to the 2.4GHz AP and my computers and iPad connected to the 5GHz AP - I can print to the printer with no problems at all. I also have two separate SSIDs on my setup, and it makes no difference at all, since it's all still the same internal network.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
The network is the same, so no worries. I do suggest, unless you need to have the level of control you do, considering running the same SSID on both bands. That way you'll have larger, more seamless coverage. As long as 2.4GHz doesn't have too much noise in your area, the downsides to doing this aren't huge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.