Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
Is anyone else having problems with OS 5.1.1 and random crashes, especially with safari?

:confused:

This is frustrating on multiple levels since iths iPad is less than a day old and is a replacement for an iPad that died after 6 weeks...

Is there something wrong with the current update?

I'm currently restoring my iPad and will set it up as new, instead of from a backup...

:mad::mad::mad:

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
Just did a complete restore and set up as new...

Everything was fine, surfing the net when BLAM!!!

It just went black, the screen went black now I have the little spinning icon in the middle. It will spin for a second then hang up, then start spinning again, then stops and starts again, etc...

Been doing that for about 5 minutes now...

After this nightmare with my last iPad which was only 6 weeks old, my confidence in the Apple iPad is dwindling fast...

What's going on?

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
I have had these issues when I have too little available space. Mine is a 64gb and if I have less than 10gb available, it crashes a lot. When it starts happening, I remove some TV or movies.

Not sure if this is true for all iPads but it is for mine.

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
I have had these issues when I have too little available space. Mine is a 64gb and if I have less than 10gb available, it crashes a lot. When it starts happening, I remove some TV or movies.

Not sure if this is true for all iPads but it is for mine.

I have neither on mine, infact I have no apps at all... its a clean install.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Is anyone else having problems with OS 5.1.1 and random crashes, especially with safari?

:confused:

This is frustrating on multiple levels since iths iPad is less than a day old and is a replacement for an iPad that died after 6 weeks...

Is there something wrong with the current update?

I'm currently restoring my iPad and will set it up as new, instead of from a backup...

:mad::mad::mad:

same thing happened to me, but I'm with the new ipad. there is a lot of Low Memory errors log in the diagnostic pages.

safari crashin especially when i opened 3 tabs heavy websites.

i guess 1gb of ram won't still cut it in the new iPad because of its retina display. guess the next iPad with 2gb of rams will be better.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I've had the the black screen with spinning icon happen to me yesterday too. I'm glad it's happening to other people as I thought my new iPad 2 was faulty for a moment.

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
From what I can glean from other forums, the Apple site forums and various blogs and a few YouTube rants the current iOS which is ipad ios 5.1.1 9b206 is basically a bug laden pig.

I hope whomever signed off on this thing gets hit over the head with a tea pot!

I stopped counting the number of threads on the apple forums where folks were having all kinds of goofiness after updating.

Fom YouTube crashing to safari crashing to Facebook app not working to not even being able to access their setting menu.

But it seems that the safari crashes are the biggest complaints.

After reading one blog post I checked my crash logs on my iPad and they are stuffed with all kinds of logs, most of the are Springboard crashes... Too many to count.

Apple is really dropping the ball here.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
My iPad 2 has started to crash with 5.1.1 as well. Safari and several other Apps are starting to crash. I just did a complete reset. Lets see if that helps. :)

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
The crash problems are memory related... Apple dropped the ball big time with iOS 5 and they've yet to address it.

Its simply too much for the iPad1 and 2's memory to handle...

It seems to run fine on the iPad3...

God help us when iOS 6 comes out.... :eek:

If I wanted the pleasure of paying for constant crashes I'd of bought something running Windows....

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The crash problems are memory related... Apple dropped the ball big time with iOS 5 and they've yet to address it.

Its simply too much for the iPad1 and 2's memory to handle...

It seems to run fine on the iPad3...

God help us when iOS 6 comes out.... :eek:

If I wanted the pleasure of paying for constant crashes I'd of bought something running Windows....

So is this related to iOS 5.0 or iOS 5.1.1? What OS release did the iPad 2 start out with? Yeah the constant crashing IS very annoying to say the least. :mad:

JWSandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Trashville, TN.
So is this related to iOS 5.0 or iOS 5.1.1? What OS release did the iPad 2 start out with? Yeah the constant crashing IS very annoying to say the least. :mad:

I'm running iOS 5.1.1 and it's been very unstable...

Even my iPhone is seeing safari crashes due to low memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.