Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
It boggles my mind that Apple is the leader in the gadget markets yet the most basic of features are still absent! I find most business users find it useful and important to have a categories or group area i.e.: business, personal, friends, family, etc so you can text email at once or look up a certain group. I KNOW there are some apps but it needs to be native. The phone part is definitely a place that Apple can pick up some tidbits from Palm or Google.

I find it ridiculous that the call log is as short as it is, on my Palm phone I use to be able to have all my missed incoming outgoing calls for like years at a time. I had even on android a large call log. I wish they would tweak this, I cant imagine anyone would be upset at added features.

I hope it all comes.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
You can't do it on the phone but you do realize you can create groups and organize contacts in Address Book on the Mac right? And those sync to your iOS devices with iCloud. Also if there is already a group created, you can go to that group first when you create a contact on your iPhone and add the new contact and it will be organized into that particular group.

I do agree it would be better if you could actually create groups on the phone itself though. I am surprised this hasn't been addressed yet especially after all the improvements in iOS5 that reduced dependence on a computer for stuff.

MacCentric

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
Totally agree

My Palm Treo, which was obsolete 3 iPhones ago, also had a call log that went on forever and I miss it greatly. When the first iPhone came out I thought it must be an oversight that would be addressed in future updates, I mean, how hard could it be to have a option for the length of the call log in the settings somewhere? As it is now, I usually can't even scroll back to the beginning of the week.
And groups, iOS 6 and still no group support on the phone? When adding a contact you already have to scroll down for all the options, could it be that difficult to add a popup for group?
I'm glad they are getting turn by turn GPS at last, but really, seems like one programmer could add these features in his sleep if they bothered.
http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/confused.gif
Why does the smiley show up as a link instead of embedding in the post?

Last edited:

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
it drivers me absolutely bonkers that a huge tech giant like Apple still has not implemented groups in contacts and the forever call log, it cant be that hard. These things are 16gb 32gb 64gb my treo was like nothing lol

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
????

Since the iPhone 3G at least:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 234

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
????

ok I have heard of people saying its possible but its not as simple as going into add contact put the number n select the group and I think that is the issue that other OS offer that, apple does not...I have over 650 contacts I need to categorize and the reason native is important is because if I add a new contact I want to put into a group its not possible. Can you tell me what you did and how please in detail?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
ok I have heard of people saying its possible but its not as simple as going into add contact put the number n select the group and I think that is the issue that other OS offer that, apple does not...I have over 650 contacts I need to categorize and the reason native is important is because if I add a new contact I want to put into a group its not possible. Can you tell me what you did and how please in detail?
Add groups in Address Book (Pre ML) or Contacts (ML). In Lion you'll have to click the groups bookmark so it's a bit hard to discover.

These groups will sync over iCloud.

It's much easier to organise into groups on your computer anyway. I don't see this as a task I would even want to do on my phone.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
florida
Add groups in Address Book (Pre ML) or Contacts (ML). In Lion you'll have to click the groups bookmark so it's a bit hard to discover.

It's much easier to organise into groups on your computer anyway. I don't see this as a task I would even want to do on my phone.

ok sounds fair but question is, I get a call and I want to add that number to one of my groups, they dont offer the abilty like every other OS to add a contact to a new or existing group in the contact card and I think that is the issue

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
as a side question.... i just ordered my first mac computer (2012 macbook air).

i have used google contacts for years. is there a way to keep my google contacts and groups i've created synced with the 'Contacts' program on my mac? that way i could have groups on my phone by syncing my contacts through Apple's contacts instead of Google contacts. The Google contacts platform works great.... except that I can't have groups on my phone. Would like to improve that.

FlyboyMichael

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
????

The important feature is not that you can have groups show up, but that you can use that group. Can you send either a text or an e-mail to a defined group? That is the feature that I see missing.

Thanks,
Michael

anac

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011

I added some contacts to a group on Address Book mac, and they won't sync to the ipad2 and iphone 4. I have tried through i tunes and icloud and nothing. :confused: help!

deftdrummer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
San Diego
Also if you don't have a mac, you can go to icloud.com and manage groups that way. On icloud.com you have to select each contact individually and then off to the right hand pane options will appear for group management.

mithars

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
A solution

I was playing around with a third party contacts management app on my ipad and I discovered that when I create a new group with it , the same group appears on the ipads own native contact-app too . I guess you need to make sure you turn on the icloud feature for both so they sync . Hope this helps...:)

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Having to use a Mac/PC to create/delete groups to use in iOS is ridiculous.

Not being able to send an e-mail to all the members of a group in iOS is ridiculous.

So much for a post-PC world.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Have you ever considered that it's not in Apple's interest to ensure that the stock apps have all the "necessary" features?
If they did, developers would not be frantically make apps that plug the small gaps and add extra features.
Subsequently, if there were fewer apps, Apple would make less money taking their percentage of the App Store sales.

Apple will continue to make their apps fairly basic, but still useful as long as this business was model exists

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
no its not, your managing it on icloud which is where you should manage it anyway as its easier

It's only easier because that's the way they set it up. That doesn't make it any less ridiculous though.

Equally laughable is the idea that Apple is intentionally skipping basic features to help the App Store.

Practically every cell phone I've ever owned had groups. I was never forced to edit contacts through my computer, a web page, or a 3rd party app...and yet people here are defending Apple as though it's somehow better and supposed to be that way? Sorry, but it's not.

There's no excuse why there is no way to add contacts to groups from within the Contacts app.

But then, practically every cell phone I've ever used also had sound profiles...so I suppose it is too much to expect basic features from the iPhone....even 6 years later.

Tom359

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
Yes, you can create a group on your Mac and sync, but....

Try sending an email to the group called "family". On my mac, it drops in all of my brothers and parents because they are in that group. I had to do a kludge on my iPhone. I created a contact called "family" and had to manually enter each person's email address. Seems ridiculous that it doesn't replicate the same functionality.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
You have to create them on the desktop first, THEN it sync to your iDevices which is insane. I don't know what Apple continues to half-ass their products. It's like when I create an album on my iPhone, but yet it doesn't even sync back to iPhoto on the desktop. Half-ass implementation at Apple, or simply not thinking things all the way through.

bagyidaw

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2012
I'm surprised that ios6 still can't do it and yet apple called it what most advanced crap.
Contact app does not show pic in list too.
I still can't figure out how to see the date I took the photo.... In photo app. Simple and stupid apps..

kennethpm

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
I use google contacts and calendar

I update all my contacts on google now. I can view by group, and simply have an icon on my iPhone for Google Contacts.
I use CalenGoo App on the iPhone also, put all my appointments in there.

I simply do not have time to deal with iCloud and I do not sync anything with iCloud anymore.

The lack of ability to even view Contacts by Group on the iPad is insane! There is a tab so you can look at the groups, but no way to select to view them by group. What are they thinking?

Apple continues to remove features, making their world less 'friendly'. Not sure why this is.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've been looking at this "Groups" button at the top left of my iPhone Contact List trying to understand that the phone decides on what contacts goes in what group and leaves me no options to manage my groups as I see fit? Surprising this situation exists. An Apple failure for IOS or is there something I've missed? I've done some searches online and have found no satisfactory solution. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.