Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fallingleaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
I have a slight problem and can't find any solutions. Basically there are 3 problems. After backing up and Jailbreaking my 4s with greenpoison2 I wanted to restore from backup but Itunes does not show my recent backup. It only shows the older ones. I know people have had this problem and I have tried everything (File Juicer, Iphone Backup Extractor, Mobile Sync Browser) but no luck. Funny thing is I can see the files in finder (Mac) under backups.

I have even tried renaming the folder, and taking all other backups out of the backup folder and leaving only the one I need in the hope that it would show up but still no luck!

Is that backup simply corrupt? Is there a way of getting it to show up on Itunes? I did backup my photos and videos on iphoto, but need my notes, messages, etc...

I also tried Un-jailbreaking the phone to see if that backup shows up but problem is when I try to download the recent firmware, towards the end of the download I get a error saying "iPhone4,1_5.1.1_9B206_Restore.ipsw.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read." I have tried 3-4 different sites and even the apple site but all firmwares get stuck at the end so I can't even TRY to go back to factory setting and of course trying to erase all settings on iphone to go back to factory settings after I have jailbroken puts me in the infinite loop :p

I also can't use the Option + Restore option as I get this error: "The iphone file could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible"

On going to gs.apple.com I get an error which means everything should be fine.

Can anyone please help?? Must be my bad vibe that my electronic gadgets always feel!!! Thanks...

P.S Please reply clearly and step by step as I am not really a tech-geek.

fallingleaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
2 different problems...

Thanks for the reply, I know that the raw file does not contain any of my data, as I mentioned I had few problems.

1. Itunes does not show/restore my latest backup in the list, although I can see it in finder (This is my major problem as after jailbreaking I wanted to restore my phone with my old data) This led me to problem number 2 which arose from my thought that perhaps if I restore to factory settings I may be able to restore my backups.

2. I can't restore to factory settings. When I try on iphone (erase all content), I get stuck if an infinite loop and when I try to download the firmware from multiple sites, I get an error and can't download the full version.

Any ideas??

Thanks and appreciate it.

fallingleaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
Thanks for the reply... Like I said, in Itunes, when I try to restore from backup, my backup does not show on the list. Itunes is not reading my backup (which I can see in finder>library>application support>mobile sync>backup), that is the problem I am having and trying to resolve.

Also for DFU mode, as I had mentioned in my first post, it starts downloading the firmware but towards the end gives an error....

Any ideas?

Mrarkon

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
You can download Back Up Extractor (Google it). It helps finds back ups that iTunes isn't showing but still in your computer.

fallingleaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
Thanks for the replies... When I was backing up I think my hard was getting full... Could it be that it did not make a full backup and got corrupt? I have already tried back up extractor and other similar softwares but only managed to get photos that I had already backed up with iPhotos luckily... At this stage I just want my notes and sms messages back...

Any chance? Thanks

wrazoru

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
iPhone Backup showing under preferences by not under "Restore from Backup" list

There are backups that i would like to use for my newly restored & jb'd iPHone 3GS.

The one that i want to use shows up under Preferences>Device Preferences>Device Backups

However, it doesn't show up under "restore from backups" window!

Anyone have a solution to fix this??

jimmy575

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2012
If your backup does not show in the list when attempting to restore from backup, there are one of two things happening: your backup is corrupt (I'm sorry, there's nothing that can be done for this) OR your backup was created with a HIGHER software version.

If it is the latter, then you just need to update your device before you can restore your information.

This goes to you as well wrazoru.

wrazoru

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
Hi Jimmy575...thanks for the info...

When u say HIGHER...do you mean the iOS software or the app?

...Because: Almost all my backups were on iOS 5.0.1...
I've just recently picked up an iPhone 3GS which can only go to iOS 4.3.3 coz the rest of the SHSH blobs don't exist & can't be recreated.

I have managed to restore from earlier iOS 5.0.1 backups ...but not the latest backup which is still iOS 5.0.1??

Does that mean the latest backup is simply corrupted??

...OR your backup was created with a HIGHER software version....then you just need to update your device before you can restore your information.

This goes to you as well wrazoru.

ilovemyiphone12

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Same issue

Was there ever a solution found to this issue?

I have used Wondershare Data Recovery for itunes and I can see that the file not showing up in itunes contains all of my contacts, messages, call history, calendar, and voice memos that were on my phone before I updated to 5.1.1. so I KNOW it's there!!

The only issue is that it won't "recover" the file without a fee. :( I just want to know how to get that file back in itunes so that I can restore to it. :confused:

I am happy that i can at least see it and know that it's there BUT I would hate to manually place all of those things back in my phone. It could take days!!!

I have been searching the web for two days now in an attempt to find an answer but I have had no luck. I found this is apple discussions...

Copy the backup folder to your desktop, then perform a sync. First thing done when you sync is an iPhone backup. After the sync completes, go back to iTunes>Preferences>Devices...is an iPhone backup listed?

How do I perform a sync after copying the folder to my desktop. Will this work? HELP PLEASE!!!

ilovemyiphone12

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Was there ever a solution found to this issue?

I have used Wondershare Data Recovery for itunes and I can see that the file not showing up in itunes contains all of my contacts, messages, call history, calendar, and voice memos that were on my phone before I updated to 5.1.1. so I KNOW it's there!!

The only issue is that it won't "recover" the file without a fee. :( I just want to know how to get that file back in itunes so that I can restore to it. :confused:

I am happy that i can at least see it and know that it's there BUT I would hate to manually place all of those things back in my phone. It could take days!!!

I have been searching the web for two days now in an attempt to find an answer but I have had no luck. I found this is apple discussions...

Copy the backup folder to your desktop, then perform a sync. First thing done when you sync is an iPhone backup. After the sync completes, go back to iTunes>Preferences>Devices...is an iPhone backup listed?

How do I perform a sync after copying the folder to my desktop. Will this work? HELP PLEASE!!!

ilovemyiphone12

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Hello again.... I am trying to restore to a backup that I could not find in itunes.

Eureka!! I clicked on option+restore and I was able to locate the older backup file while in itunes. :D

Soooo now I'm getting an error saying that it cannot be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.

I am using itunes 10.5 my phone was recently updated from 4.3 to 5.1.1 with a maintained baseband of 04.10.01

I just want my text, contacts, pics, ect back. Any suggestions?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hello again.... I am trying to restore to a backup that I could not find in itunes.

Eureka!! I clicked on option+restore and I was able to locate the older backup file while in itunes. :D

Soooo now I'm getting an error saying that it cannot be restored because the firmware file is not compatible.

I am using itunes 10.5 my phone was recently updated from 4.3 to 5.1.1 with a maintained baseband of 04.10.01

I just want my text, contacts, pics, ect back. Any suggestions?

Eureka nothing:D
Option restore is not for a backup file.
Its just to manually select firmware .ipsw files.
Totally different things.

ilovemyiphone12

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Eureka nothing:D
Option restore is not for a backup file.
Its just to manually select firmware .ipsw files.
Totally different things.

Yup! Figured that out the hard way! :( Any suggestions for recovering my information? It's been 3 day of no contacts, pics, ect.

I've used both fugu and backup extractor but I'm in way over my head. Going to the root and transferring the file from the backup to the iphone file system is not working and simultaneously confusing me even more! :confused:

PLEASE HELP!!!

Torst70

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
I had the same problem and i figured it out. I backed up my iPhone because i wanted to do a clean install ios8. My backup time was 6.45pm. After doing the install and trying to do a restore from iTunes i couldn't see my backup. The only backup was at 7.14pm which had no info in it. I used a program called iPhone Backup Extractor and found the backup i did at 6.45pm. The app showed all the info i had on my phone. There was also a backup at 7.14 which had no info in it. So i did another backup in iTunes at 9.50pm. iPhone backup Extractor allows you to find the folders which have the backup information in it. So I copied all the information in the backup 6.45, deleted all the information in the 9.50pm and pasted the information from the 6.45 into the 9.50 folder. I went to iTunes to do a restore and found that the backup at 9.50 was gone. when i looked at the list i saw two backups at 7.14pm. When i selected one of them, it had a time stamp of 6.45pm. i did a restore and all my information was restored.. Hope this helps

Cubillo391

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2017
Anyone who can help??

I just had this same issue and was able to resolve it. You just have to make sure that the version of iOS is the same on your phone and the backup file. So basically, you phone has to have the version of iOS that was active when you completed the backup.

Hope this helps! Worked for me.

Cubillo391

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2017
Well, here I was 5 year later and ran into the same issue and wasn't able to find a solution. So someone else may be running into this problem.

chasrome

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2017
For me this was hard to figure out but it was actually simple. I had previously set Windows Display resolution to 150% (Larger) and it turns out that for the Backup panel in the current version of iTunes the lines that display latest backups just disappear without any indication that why they are not showing (no scrolling of any kind implemented nor any messages). In addition I found that (at least for my display/video adapter combination) iTunes does not permit display resolution to be set at anything above 125% if you want to use iTunes for backing up your devices. Just love these guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.