Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between a good keyboard option for my iPad and having trouble deciding between these two.

I like the Apple BT Keyboard as it's a full size keyboard, I can pair it with the Incase Origami workstation and just leave it in my bag for when I want to use it.

The Logitech keyboard is great too as it has the dedicated iOS keys and it has a sleek, thin profile. Though I probably won't use the cover functionality as most of the time I don't need a keyboard.

Interested to hear your opinions.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I own this below and it works well despite being generic.

http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Bluetho...ref=pd_cp_pc_2

In reality I use it maybe twice a week at most. I find that it's a little bit more acceptable in a business environment to get the iPad out when you have a keyboard so you feel less self conscience to use it so if I am writing more than 300-400 words, I tend to get it out. But couldn't justify the expense of an Apple BT keyboard as I prefer to put the cost towards my next iPad purchase which no doubt is coming in March 2013

This may also work.

http://www.amazon.com/PortaCell-Alum...763544&sr=8-10

randiferous

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
I am trying to make the same decision and right now I am leaning to the Apple BT keyboard. From what I read the Ultrathin seems to be the one of the best keyboard/case solutions but I also read that when it's closed the back of the iPad is still unprotected and there's an issue with having a skin on the back and it fitting into the keyboard groove. I read somewhere that the case can get scratched easily and you should buy rubber bumpers with it. Also it's just easier if you want to pick up the iPad and not use keyboard. I am looking into bags that I could fit the apple keyboard and iPad into. There is an interesting case called touch-type that has not come out yet on kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sajidcreative/touchtype-a-case-for-ipad-and-apple-wireless-keybo and that looks pretty cool. Let me know what you decide.

-TYLER

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
I own this below and it works well despite being generic.

http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-Bluetho...ref=pd_cp_pc_2

In reality I use it maybe twice a week at most. I find that it's a little bit more acceptable in a business environment to get the iPad out when you have a keyboard so you feel less self conscience to use it so if I am writing more than 300-400 words, I tend to get it out. But couldn't justify the expense of an Apple BT keyboard as I prefer to put the cost towards my next iPad purchase which no doubt is coming in March 2013

This may also work.

http://www.amazon.com/PortaCell-Alum...763544&sr=8-10

Links not working for me..

oneapplegeek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
I like the design of apple bt keyboard, but it would be more convenient to use logitech ultrathin. apple keyboard is more affordable. :p

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
similar situation as you
except instead of ultrathin vs apple bt keyboard
i'm deciding between the ultrathin vs the logitech K760 solar keyboard because it requires no batteries, seems to be lighter, dedicated ipad keys, and easy bluetooth switch to use with other devices.

I tried the ultrathin and found the keys slightly cramp but useable, and its certainly very portable.. but want to try the solar keyboard first (when its available) before making a decision.

ultimately it depends how often you plan to drag the keyboard around.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between a good keyboard option for my iPad and having trouble deciding between these two.

I like the Apple BT Keyboard as it's a full size keyboard, I can pair it with the Incase Origami workstation and just leave it in my bag for when I want to use it.

The Logitech keyboard is great too as it has the dedicated iOS keys and it has a sleek, thin profile. Though I probably won't use the cover functionality as most of the time I don't need a keyboard.

I tried out the Logitech for ~2 weeks and liked it, but decided to just use my existing Apple BT and just purchase the Origami case for the keyboard. I rarely need a physical keyboard so it was an easy choice for me. Also I didn't want to worry about scratching another aluminum surface. :p

Dan14

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
What did people decide to go with?

I'm really not sure whether to give with the Apple one and just transport it seperate, or buy one of these integrated keyboard case things and which one?

:)

boraxatude

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
I did not like transporting the apple bt along with the ipad. I ended up ditching the apple in favor of logitech's ultrathin. I have an iCarbon skin for both and I keep the smartcover on which protects the screen in case the ultrathin opens up in my bag and it folds underneath the ultrathin keyboard to add a little friction when typing. All is good.

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
I am trying to make the same decision and right now I am leaning to the Apple BT keyboard. From what I read the Ultrathin seems to be the one of the best keyboard/case solutions but I also read that when it's closed the back of the iPad is still unprotected and there's an issue with having a skin on the back and it fitting into the keyboard groove. I read somewhere that the case can get scratched easily and you should buy rubber bumpers with it. Also it's just easier if you want to pick up the iPad and not use keyboard. I am looking into bags that I could fit the apple keyboard and iPad into. There is an interesting case called touch-type that has not come out yet on kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sajidcreative/touchtype-a-case-for-ipad-and-apple-wireless-keybo and that looks pretty cool. Let me know what you decide.

if you look around, you'll find a lot of the answers for your concerns. I have the logitech ultrathin bluetooth keyboard and i have a icarbons skin on it and it fits perfectly fine, in fact i have an icarbons for the logitech as well. there's also a video on youtube showing how a smart cove can be implemented to really help you out! just search on youtube for logitech ultrathin cover + smart cover!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Hey guys,

I have both of these exactly as you've outlined.

It's a real toss up, and candidly the reason I bought both. In my case I do require a keyboard more than I care to admit :)

So in my case most of the time, when I'm headed out to grab a Starbucks I end up grabbing my 2011 11" MBA, I'll admit I'm just too addicted to the great ergonomics of MacBooks. Plus I'm not bragging, but I'm really fast at typing and used to MBA & MBP keyboards.

With an iPad, if I was forced to choose one, I'd go with the latest ultrathin, do less email, and enjoy the fact it's far nicer to carry as compared to the Apple setup.

I probably haven't helped you one bit, but hey, at least you've heard from the voice of experience lol :D

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
I wonder if Logitech or some one will make a "clone" version of Microsoft's Surface keyboard cover for the iPad

randiferous

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
if you look around, you'll find a lot of the answers for your concerns. I have the logitech ultrathin bluetooth keyboard and i have a icarbons skin on it and it fits perfectly fine, in fact i have an icarbons for the logitech as well. there's also a video on youtube showing how a smart cove can be implemented to really help you out! just search on youtube for logitech ultrathin cover + smart cover!

joekim, I looked around for the video and I couldn't find it. Do you have a link? I went ahead and bought the Ultrathin and I really like it. The carbons skins look pretty cool too. So with that setup the only thing I am missing is a way to prop up the iPad for different viewing angles. I guess the smart cover will solve that issue too?

joekim1026

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
joekim, I looked around for the video and I couldn't find it. Do you have a link? I went ahead and bought the Ultrathin and I really like it. The carbons skins look pretty cool too. So with that setup the only thing I am missing is a way to prop up the iPad for different viewing angles. I guess the smart cover will solve that issue too?

Search "Logitech Ultrathin keyboard cover smart cover" and it's the one posted by nyceguy79

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.