Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdog75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
If you had to choose one for yourself, which would you choose? Both of the below models are $1199 on the US apple store.

1. The new basic model 13" MacBook Air:

MacBook Air 1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
13-inch display
Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
4GB memory
128GB flash storage
Intel HD Graphics 4000

2. Or the this refurbished 2011 model:

Refurbished MacBook Air 1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
Originally released July 2011
13.3-inch (diagonal) high-resolution LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
256GB flash storage
Intel HD Graphics 3000

Thanks!

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Do you think you will need the 256GB SSD? Thats the main difference you will have to face. The other thing to think about is the more modern CPU in the 2012 one, but in terms of what you will have to deal with the SSD is your main question.

EDIT: also you shouldn't worry about buying a refurb - they are all covered by the standard warranties.

gdog75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Do you think you will need the 256GB SSD? Thats the main difference you will have to face. The other thing to think about is the more modern CPU in the 2012 one, but in terms of what you will have to deal with the SSD is your main question.

EDIT: also you shouldn't worry about buying a refurb - they are all covered by the standard warranties.

I think the 128GB SSD should be plenty to be honest. I'll throw on a few HD movies and tv shows, but nothing crazy.

I love Apple refurbished stuff. I bought lots of their refurbs before.

EDIT: Any idea how the refurb's i7 would compare to the new i5?

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
geekbench_mid_2012_macbook_air.jpg

I would get the new model if you really need the extra speed and better gfx card and have the money. But I think this one is the better deal for what you get:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC965LL/A

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
If you qualify for an education discount, go with the new system and get $50 off plus a $100 app store gift card... unless you really truly need the larger SSD.

gdog75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012

I would get the new model.

Game, set, match! :D I think I have my answer! Thank you everyone!

----------

If you qualify for an education discount, go with the new system and get $50 off plus a $100 app store gift card... unless you really truly need the larger SSD.

Good point. I'm sure I can wrangle up a student discount some how some way.

Zzari

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
Seattle, WA
I was in the same boat, and I'm going with the 2012 13" base model with the upgrade to 8GB RAM. I personally don't need very much storage, and seeing the greatly improved benchmarks from 2011 to 2012 plus the addition of 8GB RAM has me sold.

Definitely a touch choice and you can't go wrong either way. It basically boils down to 256GB v. 8GB RAM + Better Processor + HD4000 + SATA III. If you need storage, the 256GB is probably a better buy, but if you don't, then I think the 2012 definitely wins.

twobslick

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2009
I'm debating the same thing. My question is weather I will really see $300 difference in performance? I don't believe that I will. This notebook is really for about two to three year upgrade and by then hopefully the upgrades will be more significant and less expensive. It isn't often you can get 25% off on a Mac.

mds

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2006
I'm also in the same boat. Trying to upgrade from a 2010 Macbook air. Both have their pros and cons. Maybe the real answer is wait for 2012 refurbs.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I'm also in the same boat. Trying to upgrade from a 2010 Macbook air. Both have their pros and cons. Maybe the real answer is wait for 2012 refurbs.

From a 2010 MBA the decision would be easy, in my opinion. Sandy Bridge was a huge upgrade in 2011, and now you have another upgrade with Ivy Bridge, not to mention the backlit keyboard, USB 3.0, etc. The 2011 to 2012 upgrade is a little more difficult, and although I would probably end up doing it, that's only because I like new stuff, and it wouldn't make much financial sense.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'd get the larger hard drive. Lets put this in perspective, my Macbook Pro from 2006 had a 120gb hard drive, and it was considered small back then.

6 years later, apps are larger, you have more of them, you have a larger photo + music collection...

Get an air with 256gb minimum.

dgnr8

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2010
I bought the refurb you list, it arrived on Friday. I have been using it nonstop and the fan is quiet to me. I previously had a Core 2 duo MacBook pro and I have noticed a big speed difference when doing mundane tasks. It was worth going with the refurb for the bigger hard drive.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I'd get the larger hard drive. Lets put this in perspective, my Macbook Pro from 2006 had a 120gb hard drive, and it was considered small back then.

6 years later, apps are larger, you have more of them, you have a larger photo + music collection...

Get an air with 256gb minimum.

I am the opposite. I have found I use less and less drive space. I am working easily within 128. I could go smaller, but I have one application that is set up to store data on the local drive, and there is no way to move it off the computer. If that ever changes, I will go to 64.

I have tons of data -- several terabytes worth. But, with all of the cloud, external drive, time capsule, and other solutions out there, local space matters a lot less these days.

islanders

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2006
Charleston, SC
usb 3

Mine has to have usb 3. Macs have been handicapped by the slow speed of FW. USB 3 card readers are much faster. If you shoot video transferring over 20gb would take too long. I'm also interested in how much it will boost video editing now that the scratch disk has a decent connection. That's been the bottle neck for MBP in the real world that is moving away from transcoding and rendering. I plan to use my external Lacie USB3 external 7400 rpm to store everything as well.

I don't plan to edit video on the MBA (or any laptop for that matter) but the faster connection opens up a lot of options and I wouldn't be surprised if if was faster than a MBP that had FW.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I don't plan to edit video on the MBA...

I do. But just typical family type videos taken on a consumer AVCHD camcorder. Based on this info, how much better would the new 2012 Air do vs the 2011 model? Slight difference? No difference?

Thanks...

GodWhomIsMike

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Same boat. The 2012 seems like sooo much money. I just got back from a two week stay in Japan, and want to go back. At the same time, I got back to find I need to get a new computer asap. RIP mid-2010 Macbook. :(

The taxes and apple care add soooo much to the price. :mad:

Needs:

I definitely need a minimum of 256GB.
MUST be able to output hours of 1080p streaming video to 50" HDTV.
Prefer 13" size.

Looking at the Air prices, I am kinda tempted to just get a MBP base model, open it up and toss in a 6G SSD drive from newegg and 8GB+ ram.

I am afraid that I am going to spend about $1200-$1300 on a refurb MBA, and find that the HD3000 sucks at streaming 1080p video to a 50" HDTV.

If I didn't have 6+ years worth the applications, iTunes stuff, and data all tied to Apple, I would probably just get a 14" Lenovo with a 2GB dedicated video card for $799. For $1000, I could have a 14" powerhouse with 256GB SSD in it.

I feel like I am going to be paying 100s extra for something that is going to age poorly.

I know people here sell their Macs after a year or two of use, I hate selling stuff. People suck, and I can't be bothered. I like running computers for years until they no longer work.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I have two questions about the new Air...

1. Anyone have any thoughts about battery life between the 2011 Air and the new 2012? Should I expect any improvements?

2. Does the built-in SD reader benefit from USB3? e.g. Is it any faster?

riveting

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Same question,

I do have a more specific question, does the 2012 MBA run quieter and colder than 2011 MBA? Any one has on-hand experience?

The performance difference seems to be small.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.