Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
I want to sell my early 2011 2.2Ghz MBP with 512GB Apple/Tosh SSD (aftermarket pulled SATAII model purchased for £500), 8GB Ram and Hi-Res glossy screen.

I just find the MBP too bulky and I am not getting the most out of it, as I am not doing any taxing tasks (hardly any movie authoring/rendering and only light LR/PS editing with photos). If I purchased a MBA, then I would gain the portability. I am not interested in the new MBPR models.

My MBP is in perfect condition/working order, but I am not sure whether eBay is the best place to advertise. I have an eBay 100% positive score of over 100, but am just worried the buyer will change their mind and want a refund, and then I will have to worry about the laptop not being returned in the immaculate condition that I will be shipping it out in!

If I go down the eBay route, would £2k be a reasonable asking price? I can't see anyone else selling the same spec MBP so haven't got a clue how much it's worth.

Or would I get more back by reinstalling the original 750GB (Toshiba 5400rpm) HDD and selling the MBP for say £1650 and then sell the 512GB SSD for say £450?

Also, I still have 2 years of Applecare on the MBP, would I also need to sell/transfer that to the new buyer?

I was thinking of buying either a 13" maxed out 2012 MBA and also a Superdrive as my only set up, or a 2012 base model 11" MBA (for web/email) plus a 2011 or 2012 iMac (all depends how much I get for the MBP before deciding on my new set up).

I don't think I will get on with an iPad combo as the speed for browsing the web on the iPad would just be too slow.

Anyone have any tips for selling and buying please?

Thanks in advance

angelsguardian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
North East Scotland
I have an eBay 100% positive score of over 100, but am just worried the buyer will change their mind and want a refund, and then I will have to worry about the laptop not being returned in the immaculate condition that I will be shipping it out in!

Unless you sell as a business (distance selling etc) how would they do that?

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Unless you sell as a business (distance selling etc) how would they do that?

I guess not then, I suppose that if I transfer the AppleCare then there's not really an excuse to return it if a fault develops at a later date.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I'd sell on amazon if I were you. Also, given the spec, would try photography websites / magazines etc. not sure you are going to get back as much as that given the price of new RMBP will attract many but good luck anyway

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Cheers for the advice; shame this forum doesn't have a For Sale/Trade sub-forum.

snapper64

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
Just say you wont accept returns unless the laptop is DOA.

It might be worth selling the SSD and MBP separately (as then the HDD in the laptop is also covered by AppleCare for the new buyer) but you won't get anywhere near £450 for the SSD. You can buy a new 512GB SATA III Crucial m4 SSD for around £320 new. This will be much faster than your current SSD.

A good UK forum for selling computers/parts is AVForums (the classified section). I'd definitely recommend advertising there if you'd prefer to avoid using eBay and incurring fees.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Cheers for the advice; shame this forum doesn't have a For Sale/Trade sub-forum.

It does, but it is only available to those with a higher post count and minimum time on the forums. Those limits also stop many buyers from getting access, so I don't know how useful it is.

I recently sold my unibody MacBook on Gumtree. It is free, so worth a try. I didn't get much luck posting while in Lincolnshire (except for a few "please post it to Nigeria" replies), but I advertised it as located in Liverpool when I stayed there with friends for a long weekend and could have sold it several times over in those few days. So likely to to be more useful in a large urban area.

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Just say you wont accept returns unless the laptop is DOA.

It might be worth selling the SSD and MBP separately (as then the HDD in the laptop is also covered by AppleCare for the new buyer) but you won't get anywhere near £450 for the SSD. You can buy a new 512GB SATA III Crucial m4 SSD for around £320 new. This will be much faster than your current SSD.

A good UK forum for selling computers/parts is AVForums (the classified section). I'd definitely recommend advertising there if you'd prefer to avoid using eBay and incurring fees.

Crucial's SSD prices have dropped considerably. The same SSD was £480 7-8 months ago!

Yeah I am a member on AV Forums and have had a look on their site; there are quite a lot of Mac sellers on there so will probably use that forum before going down the eBay route.

To my other question, would the 2012 i7 8gb RAM MBA with 512GB SSD suffice in place of my current MBP? I will only be carrying out light video and photo editing tasks, and mainly be used for web browsing, so I assume the shared graphics card on the MBA should be ok to use as my only computer solution...

How much would you suggest I sell the following for as a package?

1. Early 2011 15" MBP with 512GB SSD, Hi Res glossy display, 8GB RAM, 2.2Ghz i7 quad processor, 1Ghz AMD HD6750M graphics card with original box and accessories.

2. AppleCare transfer (expires March 2014).

3. Toshiba 750GB HDD 5400rpm (which can be used in conjunction with the AppleCare)

4. Booq messenger bag

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.