Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Brandon0448
macrumors regular

Charging iPhone While Sleeping

My MBA will no longer charge my iPhone while it is sleeping. Before I use to be able to open up my MB, plug in my phone, close it and my phone would continue charging. But it no longer does this! Now about 5 seconds after closing my lid my phone stops charging.

I have been searching for a while over many different forums trying to find a solution but it seems like most people just say its not possible when I know for a fact that it is! When I first got my MBA I thought it was amazing that it had this feature and I would bring my MBA along with me while camping and use it as a charger for my phone. Considering I could get many full charges to my phone from my MBA's full charge.

Thank you in advance for any info because this was one of my favorite features of my MBA!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:43 PM   #2
waa1futs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon0448 View Post
My MBA will no longer charge my iPhone while it is sleeping. Before I use to be able to open up my MB, plug in my phone, close it and my phone would continue charging. But it no longer does this! Now about 5 seconds after closing my lid my phone stops charging.

I have been searching for a while over many different forums trying to find a solution but it seems like most people just say its not possible when I know for a fact that it is! When I first got my MBA I thought it was amazing that it had this feature and I would bring my MBA along with me while camping and use it as a charger for my phone. Considering I could get many full charges to my phone from my MBA's full charge.

Thank you in advance for any info because this was one of my favorite features of my MBA!
Mine just started doing this as well, when I first got my Macbook I could do this same thing; Open it, plug in my iPhone, then close the lid and it would continue to charge. Now today it stopped doing that and shuts off charging after 10 seconds or so. Any reason why?
waa1futs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:37 AM   #3
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Upgraded to iOS6 recently, by any chance? I don't know if it's related to the problem at all, but if all you guys who are experiencing the problem have recently upgraded your phones it could be a bug in iOS6?
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:46 AM   #4
cjgonzales1900
macrumors regular

Maybe the new MBA update that just rolled out by apple as to do something with it.
cjgonzales1900 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:57 AM   #5
wolfpuppies3
macrumors 6502

My iPhone came with an Apple charger. It works fine.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

If this was a Windows machine I would tell you to simply go into Hardware configuration and make sure the USB ports do not power down when sleep. I don't know how to do that in OSX. Try googling "osx leave usb powered on."
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:56 PM   #7
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Mine works

Mine works, as long as the MBA is plugged in.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:44 PM   #8
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhurst View Post
Mine works, as long as the MBA is plugged in.
Could it be *that* simple? <gasp> Apple doesn't want us to steal from John to pay Paul? What if one has a huge chest pain and must use phone?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:46 PM   #9
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Could it be *that* simple? <gasp> Apple doesn't want us to steal from John to pay Paul? What if one has a huge chest pain and must use phone?
I suppose if it worked without the MBA being plugged in (while it's closed, anyway), you could wake up with a charged phone and a dead MBA, which may not at all be what you wanted.
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:06 AM   #10
Brandon0448
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by waa1futs View Post
Mine just started doing this as well, when I first got my Macbook I could do this same thing; Open it, plug in my iPhone, then close the lid and it would continue to charge. Now today it stopped doing that and shuts off charging after 10 seconds or so. Any reason why?
I don't know what I did but My MacBook can now charge my phone while it is sleeping again. I just forgot about it and one day it started doing it again. I hope yours starts working again soon

-Brandon
Brandon0448 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:53 AM   #11
xStreame
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to xStreame
It could possibly depend on the MBA's current battery percentage.

Over 50% -> able to charge
Under 50% -> unable to charge
xStreame is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Robyr
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xStreame View Post
It could possibly depend on the MBA's current battery percentage.

Over 50% -> able to charge
Under 50% -> unable to charge
What is your evidence or source for this speculation?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:24 PM   #13
plaxico44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyr View Post
What is your evidence or source for this speculation?
Does one need a source for speculation?
plaxico44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air