Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jim468

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Turbo boost is an awesome feature, but usually it makes the system generate more heat and eventually more noise.

In Windows, turbo boost can be safely disabled so that one can keep the system noise and heat in check.

I was wondering can this be also done in OS X? I came across this link, has anyone tried it?

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Turbo boost is an awesome feature, but usually it makes the system generate more heat and eventually more noise.

That's only during periods of high demands on system resources. Disabling it will mean that such periods of increased heat and fan noise will last even longer, since the Turbo Boost would have accomplished the resource-intensive tasks quicker. I can't think of a single sensible reason to disable it.

jim468

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
That's only during periods of high demands on system resources. Disabling it will mean that such periods of increased heat and fan noise will last even longer, since the Turbo Boost would have accomplished the resource-intensive tasks quicker. I can't think of a single sensible reason to disable it.

You cannot think of a single sensible reason because you have not tried it yourself. It may seem that it cannot help much, but it makes a significant difference when using application that make high CPU usage throughout their running time, for example video conferencing in Skype.

I run Windows 7 on my MBA and disabling turbo boost does not give me any "noticeable" performance hit, but instead it keeps the laptop significantly cool and the fans run at max 3K RPM instead of 6K.

ZackehSoul

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
I began to wonder about this recently and I find it a lot better to have TB disabled, purely for the fact that I can actually have my MacBook Pro on my knee at all times without burning myself!

If you're comfortable with command lines just load the kernel module from here.

If you need it clearing up:

• Download the source as a .zip (there's a button at the top of the page on the left) and extract it on your Mac.
  • Make sure you have XCode installed via the App Store. Once installed open it and go to XCode>Preferences>Downloads menu, and make sure to install the Command Line tools.
  • Once you've done that, open a Terminal in the extracted folder's location and type

Code:
make
make load

This should solve your issue and disable TB. You should notice the difference straight away (I did).

Good luck!

jim468

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
I began to wonder about this recently and I find it a lot better to have TB disabled, purely for the fact that I can actually have my MacBook Pro on my knee at all times without burning myself!

If you're comfortable with command lines just load the kernel module from here.

If you need it clearing up:

• Download the source as a .zip (there's a button at the top of the page on the left) and extract it on your Mac.
  • Make sure you have XCode installed via the App Store. Once installed open it and go to XCode>Preferences>Downloads menu, and make sure to install the Command Line tools.
  • Once you've done that, open a Terminal in the extracted folder's location and type

Code:
make
make load

This should solve your issue and disable TB. You should notice the difference straight away (I did).

Good luck!

Thanks for this. It's good to know that you noticed a difference.

No, but it should work (changes a value in the model specific register (MSR), exactly what the kernel does).

If you want to test the speed, use this test:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1111126/

Is it really much faster?

Thanks. Once I test, I will post the results.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Am I wrong in thinking that Mac OS X disables TB by default when working on a battery?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'm sure it's hardware based on that front don't quote me though

ScottLind

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Sorry for digging up this old thread...

But does this work on Mountain Lion? I can't make it work. I'm able to disable Turbo Boost in Windows, and it works incredibly, and the heat and noise problems are gone. But I would like it to be quite while using Mountain Lion as well.

I've downloaded Command Line Tool from Xcode and tried to make load in Terminal, but I just get this message: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

Help please...

- Scott

jim468

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Sorry for digging up this old thread...

But does this work on Mountain Lion? I can't make it work. I'm able to disable Turbo Boost in Windows, and it works incredibly, and the heat and noise problems are gone. But I would like it to be quite while using Mountain Lion as well.

I've downloaded Command Line Tool from Xcode and tried to make load in Terminal, but I just get this message: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

Help please...

- Scott

I am able to load/unload it on ML. I followed the readme instructions and it worked fine.

I was able to bring my fan RPM from 5-6k to ~2k (under load).

You error states that it was not able to find the make file.

Did you do "make" before "make load"?

Last edited:

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
I have the exact same error as post #12

Where does the terminal window have to be (what folder to open it in) to find the "make" command??

I tried lots of the xcode folders... no luck!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Seems really drastic measures, when you can simply get a fan control application and raise the temperature thresholds for when the fans kick in full blast.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
im asking for a friend about this as well. her macbook pro is overheating when gaming. She has tried many things to disable TB under OSX.

Seems like a major oversight not to allow users to do it!?

jim468

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
I have the exact same error as post #12

Where does the terminal window have to be (what folder to open it in) to find the "make" command??

I tried lots of the xcode folders... no luck!

Hi. It has to be in this folder that you just downloaded. You will not find a "make" command in the downloaded directory. Instead a "makefile". All you have to do is type "make" in the terminal window and hit return. And then continue with the rest of the instructions.

----------

Seems really drastic measures, when you can simply get a fan control application and raise the temperature thresholds for when the fans kick in full blast.

This is not the best way. By increasing the threshold you are increasing the risk of overheating the system, and potentially reducing its life.

----------

im asking for a friend about this as well. her macbook pro is overheating when gaming. She has tried many things to disable TB under OSX.

Seems like a major oversight not to allow users to do it!?

I am not sure, but disabling TB may reduce gaming performance at the cost of fan noise (assuming some parts of the game are CPU intensive).

Last edited:

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Hi. It has to be in this folder that you just downloaded. You will not find a "make" command in the downloaded directory. Instead a "makefile". All you have to do is type "make" in the terminal window and hit return. And then continue with the rest of the instructions.

When you refer to the file I just downloaded you mean the "DisableTurboBoost.kext" from nonoant right? If so I missed that before. I thought this was just an xcode command.

If I now understand correctly I am Not so sure I want to try a 3rd party kext as opposed to some actual apple app for this.

THANKS though!
-Lee

Reactions: H2SO4

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I would say this damn thing really works! I HandBraked a 1080p movie and the results are as follows:
And the most interesting notion from this test: the conversion speed didn't change at all! Avg 21fps with Turbo Boost on or off!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 21.04.27.PNG
    Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 21.04.27.PNG
    383.7 KB · Views: 801
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 20.54.17.png
    Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 20.54.17.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 779
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 20.57.51.PNG
    Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 20.57.51.PNG
    132 KB · Views: 684
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 21.02.04.PNG
    Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 21.02.04.PNG
    49.3 KB · Views: 741
  • Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 21.02.44.PNG
    Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 21.02.44.PNG
    135.1 KB · Views: 829
Last edited:
Reactions: jimixdnb

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE
I would say this damn thing really works! I HandBraked a 1080p movie and the results are as follows:
And the most interesting notion from this test: the conversion speed didn't change at all! Avg 21fps with Turbo Boost on or off!

That is well and nice, but I would not be comfortable running the CPU for operating temps exceeding 100C for any extended duration. Ivy Bridge series have a Tjmax of 105C before the processor will halt to prevent physical damage.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008

Handbrake uses all cores. Turbo boost only kicks in if you are NOT using all cores.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Yes, but how do you explain the substantial lowering of CPU Core temp? Does this same MSR bit also lower max permissible junction temp?

I would like to know as well.

EDIT- Well disabling it in windows made a huge difference but I see no difference with handbrake as you did.

You just make, and then make install right?

Last edited:

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012

Also what app is this?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
You just make, and then make install right?
No, I installed the Turbo Boost Switcher for OS X it has everything compiled and built plus a nice menubar item to trigger the switch.
Just make sure you run the app from /Applications directory, because it contains the necessary kext and will not make much noise if it fails to call the kext. Just a message in system.log will reveal that the calling on kext failed. If it can't successfully execute the kext, it can't change the MSR register and Turbo Boost status is unchanged. But the label on menubar does change, thereby giving you wrong impression as if the program didn't work.
Also what app is this?
See above.

----------

That is well and nice, but I would not be comfortable running the CPU for operating temps exceeding 100C for any extended duration.
Didn't get your point! After disabling Turbo Boost I consistently run under 90 degrees centigrade. That's with 680% CPU load on all 4 cores. And the best part - fans remain inaudible!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.