Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:04 PM   #1
NDefer
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Iphone 5 USB 3.0

Think the new micro connector will utilize USB 3.0? Seems like an obvious choice, especially given usb 3.0 ports on new macbooks. Backwards compatibility of course.

Thoughts? Seems like a must have to me.
NDefer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Broph
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Zealand
Doubt it.

USB is a standard & therefore would have to be the same size / shape as normal USB ports.

I doubt Apple would throw in a USB port in there because it would allow customization to be too easy. People would be able to bypass iTunes etc.

Won't happen.
Broph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040
 
Roessnakhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Albuquerque, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broph View Post
USB is a standard & therefore would have to be the same size / shape as normal USB ports
Aren't USB2 and USB3 ports interchangeable?
__________________
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage
portfolio | twitter | flickr | last.fm
Roessnakhan is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Broph
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roessnakhan View Post
Aren't USB2 and USB3 ports interchangeable?
Of course, because they're part of the USB standard.
Broph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:19 PM   #5
BlueGummiBear
macrumors 6502a
 
BlueGummiBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bouncing here, bouncing there, bouncing everywhere!
You can't plugin any USB 3.0 device into a USB 2.0 port and expect it to work. USB 3.0 devices are not always backwards compatible to USB 2.0. It's up to the manufacturer if they want to make them backwards compatible or not. You can plugin any USB 2.0 device into a USB 3.0 port and it will work just fine though.
BlueGummiBear is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:27 PM   #6
afurry13
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I wouldn't be surprised at all if they added USB 3.0 support. I also wouldn't be surprised at all if they didn't. This is Apple after all.
afurry13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:51 PM   #7
Broph
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGummiBear View Post
You can't plugin any USB 3.0 device into a USB 2.0 port and expect it to work. USB 3.0 devices are not always backwards compatible to USB 2.0. It's up to the manufacturer if they want to make them backwards compatible or not. You can plugin any USB 2.0 device into a USB 3.0 port and it will work just fine though.
I know, sorry when the person asked me 'interchangeable' I had a brain fart and just for some reason thought about USB 2.0 plugging in to USB 3.0.

You're right, though.
Broph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:29 AM   #8
pyro008
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broph View Post
Doubt it.

USB is a standard & therefore would have to be the same size / shape as normal USB ports.

I doubt Apple would throw in a USB port in there because it would allow customization to be too easy. People would be able to bypass iTunes etc.

Won't happen.
How is this relevant to the question being asked?
pyro008 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:41 AM   #9
LaazyEye
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I guess this would really be dependent on the writing speed of the flash storage on the phone. If there's little or no benefit in using 3.0, and if 2.0 is cheaper, then I say no, they will stick with 2.0 and heavily push wireless syncing (maybe they'll smush dual antenna 450 mbps wireless N? I doubt they'll put AC into it).
LaazyEye is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:38 PM   #10
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro008 View Post
How is this relevant to the question being asked?
Person you quoted is confused. OP meant USB 3.0 on the host device side. I'm guessing that the person you quoted was assuming a USB 3.0 port in the iPhone itself.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:07 AM   #11
Michael CM1
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I thought the OP was talking about the dock-to-USB cable supporting USB 3. Since Macs now have USB 3, I don't see why this move wouldn't be made. USB 3 can provide more power, which would mean quicker charging plus the faster data transfer. This would be extremely helpful on the iPad since it takes about 15 days to get a full charge using USB 2 ports. I can't find my darn wall adapter right now, so it's fun charging that thing.

I know that Apple wants to go wireless with so many things, such as WiFi sync, but if you choose to sync over a cable, USB 3 is just insanely faster. I can't imagine why with a few months of lead time it wouldn't be designed in the next iPhone. If it's not in the next iPad, I would be shocked.
__________________
13.3" 2014 MacBook Air; Mid-2010 21.5" iMac; silver 64GB iPhone 6; white iPad Air 32 GB; third-gen TV (x2)
Michael CM1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:54 AM   #12
LaazyEye
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
I thought the OP was talking about the dock-to-USB cable supporting USB 3. Since Macs now have USB 3, I don't see why this move wouldn't be made. USB 3 can provide more power, which would mean quicker charging plus the faster data transfer. This would be extremely helpful on the iPad since it takes about 15 days to get a full charge using USB 2 ports. I can't find my darn wall adapter right now, so it's fun charging that thing.

I know that Apple wants to go wireless with so many things, such as WiFi sync, but if you choose to sync over a cable, USB 3 is just insanely faster. I can't imagine why with a few months of lead time it wouldn't be designed in the next iPhone. If it's not in the next iPad, I would be shocked.
Not sure how much this influences your argument but the 2011 MBP had it's usb ports modified to pump out 1000mA if an iPad is detected, and therefore speeds along charging. It could possibly just take a software update to allow this to happen to the new iPhone but I still think they'll be pushing wireless synching and leave the charging to wall warts.

And as far as syncing speeds, like i mentioned, they could put in dual band antenna which would allow for 450mbps transfers rate with less overhead than usb 2.0 making it likely appear to sync twice as fast (at least faster).

As much as i'd like to see the use of usb3 (and it is likely to happen), it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was not included. There's no real reason to need it, you aren't transferring data back and forth like you would with a computer.

Last edited by LaazyEye; Jun 17, 2012 at 05:03 AM.
LaazyEye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:19 AM   #13
BlueGummiBear
macrumors 6502a
 
BlueGummiBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bouncing here, bouncing there, bouncing everywhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broph View Post
I know, sorry when the person asked me 'interchangeable' I had a brain fart and just for some reason thought about USB 2.0 plugging in to USB 3.0.

You're right, though.
I just re-read my response to you and I came across pretty pompous. I'm really sorry about that. I was a bit rushed when I typed that. My apologies.
BlueGummiBear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:37 PM   #14
JitteryJimmy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broph View Post
Doubt it.

USB is a standard & therefore would have to be the same size / shape as normal USB ports.

I doubt Apple would throw in a USB port in there because it would allow customization to be too easy. People would be able to bypass iTunes etc.

Won't happen.
USB is just a standard protocol that is already supported by all iPhones for data and power. So it will be surprising if Apple doesn't continue to support USB.

That said, USB connectors are unable to handle anything except for USB. USB connectors cannot handle zero-latency audio and video, such as HDMI video, VGA video, or Stereo Line Out. And that is exactly why Apple and many others (like Samsung) have abandoned the USB connector - so that they can readily support numerous different digital and analog standards with a minimum of connectors.

Your "Bypassing iTunes" comment is simply incorrect. USB has nothing to do with iTunes or applications of any kind. USB is a data transfer bus, nothing more or less. Perhaps you are suggesting that you'd like to mount your iPhone's storage as a disk, with a file system like NTFS or EXT3 so that you can manipulate "files" with Windows Explorer?
JitteryJimmy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:42 PM   #15
BklynKid
macrumors 65816
 
BklynKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broph View Post
Doubt it.

USB is a standard & therefore would have to be the same size / shape as normal USB ports.

I doubt Apple would throw in a USB port in there because it would allow customization to be too easy. People would be able to bypass iTunes etc.

Won't happen.
What on earth are you talking about?
BklynKid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:55 PM   #16
ethana
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
The answer to this question is NO.

This clearly states that the cable is USB 2.0:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...cable?fnode=45
ethana is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB Love - Portable USB drive! Books, musics, movies in one app! curtschillingcs iPhone and iPod touch Apps 2 Dec 6, 2013 06:41 PM
Does the new Iphone 5 use USB 3.0? starstreak iPhone 12 Sep 15, 2012 07:46 AM
USB-based install of Windows 7 on 2012 MBA - Choice of USB seems to be sensitive kylera Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 5 Jun 30, 2012 01:57 PM
USB 2 or 3 or both for iphone 5 metsjetsfan iPhone 10 Jun 18, 2012 11:12 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC