Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 22, 2012
Ok, here is my dilemma...

I'm planning to retire my 2010 21.5" i3 iMac before the end of July (it will be converted to a lion or ML server). I mostly use my Mac for productive things like XCode, web design, Corel Painter and GarageBand.

I just can't seem to make my mind up between a MacBook Air or a Pro. I know that I want to go "hybrid", that is, I want a laptop but I'm also planning on getting myself a 27" thunderbolt display with mouse and keyboard for when I'm at home.

How would an Air 13" perform at those task? I'm working on a limited budget so I could always buy a late 2011 15" refurb, but since they come with the same resolution screen for around the same price as the Air, would that even be worth considering?

Anyone here using his Air for software development?

fleawannabe

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
I too am jumping back and forth between a refurb/used 2011 MBP 15 or a brand new MBA 13. I love the style of the air but I need a 512 SSD and that is just to much for me. For under 1400 dollars you can get a 2.2 quad, 500GB and 4GB of ram. You can add a 128 SSD by eliminating the superdrive around 150 dollars. So you have your apps on the SSD and all your media on your HDD. So for 1500 dollars you can have an amazing setup. Just my 2 cents.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 22, 2012
I'm leaning more toward a base 13" Air with 8 gig. The 128gb SSD space problem can be worked around by the use of SDXD memory card or USB memory stick for data/project storing.

Since I have about an hour an a half bus commute I will be able to use it on my lap, something that is more difficult to do with a 15".

jameswdmb

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
I was in the same position, IT professional who also has started dabbling in programming. I have been preparing to buy a MacPro for months. I was waiting for WWDC though, and when I found out the Air's were now able to have 8GB of RAM, I bit.
The only problem with them is the limit on HD space, but the SSD is so fast and with SD card and USB 3.0 (and if thunderbolt ever gets afforable for storage) Their are plenty of ways to get around that.

Its hard to beat for the price when you consider the performance your going to have combined with the portability.

fraser1980

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2008
I work as a web developer and have been working on a late 2008 13" alu macbook (2.0GHZ, 4GB, 160GB) which was capable of doing everything I needed it to. The only issues I had with it was slowdown when I had a large PSD open in photoshop or a bunch of tabs open in firefox (I ran xcode a couple of times for the iPhone emulator and it seemed to struggle there too with a bunch of other apps open). It started playing up a few months back so with the impending refresh decided to upgrade. I had my mind set on a new MBP but always liked the air so convinced myself that this was the way to go. In the end, I sprang for a 128GB 13" 8GB air. The way I see it, my 4yr old machine was pretty capable and this will likely be 3X as powerful so no issues with this for a few years, plus I travel quite a lot and in my current job I cycle 5km each way to the office so will be nice to have less weight on my back. I will have to dance around the small HD though. It left Shanghai yesterday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.