Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Hey all

For those of you like me who bought a new macbook pro retina are you feeling guiltly about not waiting for the 802.11ac protocol to kick in.

I know for me i have Netgear router modem at home provided to me by my cable company they just updated it and it still supports the older 802.11n protocol. So as there is nothing in my house atm that runs the new standard i.e. TV, Playstation 3, iMac etc.

One more thing how much life can expect from the 802.11n protocol, as i make a slow transition waiting for the ps4, a new iMac in a couple years time etc.

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
Hey all

For those of you like me who bought a new macbook pro retina are you feeling guiltly about not waiting for the 802.11ac protocol to kick in.

I know for me i have Netgear router modem at home provided to me by my cable company they just updated it and it still supports the older 802.11n protocol. So as there is nothing in my house atm that runs the new standard i.e. TV, Playstation 3, iMac etc.

One more thing how much life can expect from the 802.11n protocol, as i make a slow transition waiting for the ps4, a new iMac in a couple years time etc.

Let me ask you an honest question. Do you feel the speeds you get from 802.11n are too slow? The bottleneck for me is the fact that my Internet Provider isn't pumping fast enough speeds through the pipes rather than my laptop not receiving it fast enough.

Sure it would be nice to have 802.11ac ... but it won't make much of a difference in real world performance for me.

jimmyz80

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Apex, NC
I can get an honest to goodness 108Mbps through my N equipment (tested, not just some indicator), so for most cases my wireless is faster than 100Mbps wired. Gigabit wired is a different story, but it's rare that I need to copy enough data to make Gigabit necessary. Yeah it would be nice to have, but I'm not worried about not having it.

jburns

macrumors regular
May 1, 2007
NC-USA
As someone who, in the mid 1980s, paid $12.95 per hour to access Compu-serve at 300 baud I am not concerned at all.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
Let me ask you an honest question. Do you feel the speeds you get from 802.11n are too slow? The bottleneck for me is the fact that my Internet Provider isn't pumping fast enough speeds through the pipes rather than my laptop not receiving it fast enough.

For backups it's definitely noticeable. I always do those over ethernet, as they'd take at least twice as long over WiFi. And since the new MacBook Pro is an SSD, I'd prefer to be able to keep a NAS drive mounted at all times and get at least near-internal speeds. Of course, that technology is years away from being stable so it's not worth waiting for. Until then, 802.11n is definitely fast enough for wireless, and everything that needs faster speeds I just do wired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.