Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senthor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hey!
I plan to purchase a MacBook Pro 13 inch. I'm upgrading from the base 2009 model with 8GB RAM, Samsung SSD 830 128GB and Samsung HN-M101MBB 1TB.
Has anyone received his 13 inch 2012 MPB yet? If yes - does it ship with dual SATA-III connectors? The 2011 model was kind of a mess…
I want to upgrade the new MBP with my SSD in an Optibay, the HDD will go to the default bay. Why? Because the optibay cannot compare to the Apple bay in terms of vibration and noise reduction.
So it would be nice to know if the SSD is going to get full performance in the Optibay.

I will post benchmark results here. This is for the 2009 model:
Base MBP5,5 with Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 @ 2,26GHz, 2GB DDR-III 1066 RAM, HDD:
3019 Geekbench points
Upgraded: 8GB DDR-III 1066 RAM, Samsung SSD 830 128GB @ SATA-II:
3598 Geekbench points, 152,41 XBench points
Geekbench comparison MBP5,5 base vs MBP5,5 upgraded
XBench results MBP5,5 upgraded

2012:
Base MBP9,2 with Intel Core-i5 3210M @ 2,5GHz, 4GB DDR-III 1600 RAM, HDD:
7442 Geekbench points
Upgraded: 8GB DDR-III 1600 RAM, Samsung SSD 830 128GB @ SATA-III:
Will post as soon as arrives.
Geekbench comparison MBP9,2 base vs. MBP9,2 upgraded
XBench results MBP9,2 upgraded

Geekbench comparison MBP5,5 upgraded vs MBP9,2 base
Woah! That's at least a doubled score! :D

senthor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
@angelsguardian: just look in system report, and then serial ata.
@Mr Retrofire: from what i read, the initial problems with ssd in the optibay were solved by an efi update.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
And what about this?

Did you read the article?
"Very important points though concerning the optical bay. #1 – if your MacBook Pro 2011 model currently has SATA 2.0 3Gb/s reported for your optical bay max link speed, this EFI update does not change that to SATA 3.0 6Gb/s."

So that didn't change the optical bay to SATA 3. It was still only usable at SATA 2 speeds. It made performance in the main drive bay more stable.

senthor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Yes, I did read the article.
If your DVD-bay SATA doesn't ship with SATA 3 it won't do after the update.
But the important sentence is the last one:
"We will continue to review possible solutions for the optical bay, as 15″ and 17″ owners may be rightly jealous of the near 1GB (1000MB/s) data rates currently achievable in MacBook Pro 13″ models with two OWC 6G SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration."
This can only be achieved with two SSDs connected via SATA-III.

Cubeeless

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2012
I have looked this up on a 13 mbp mid 2012

Intel 7 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
Product: 7 Series Chipset
Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

What is the difference between Link Speed and Negotiated Link Speed?

senthor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Negotiated link speed is the speed that is actually used.
I pressume the connected device was a superdrive? If yes: superdrives come with sata-II, so that wouldn't be a surprise...

maxfischersweet

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
yes I'm looking for something that shows me they are using SATA3 or 2 in the 2012 models too. I chatted online and called apple, they told me they "don't have the specifics on those specifics" whatever that means.

i have been trying to figure this out in the "macbook pro redesign" sticky thread, but no ones gives a damn there.

i have always used the optibay in all my macbook pros as well. i just want to know whats being used in both bays.

Cubeeless

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2012
yes I'm looking for something that shows me they are using SATA3 or 2 in the 2012 models too. I chatted online and called apple, they told me they "don't have the specifics on those specifics" whatever that means.

i have been trying to figure this out in the "macbook pro redesign" sticky thread, but no ones gives a damn there.

i have always used the optibay in all my macbook pros as well. i just want to know whats being used in both bays.

Tell me how I can check this and I will do that on a mbp 13 mid 2012

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
From my system profiler, from the Superdrive part:

Intel 7 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
Product: 7 Series Chipset
Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 17.56.47.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-16 at 17.56.47.png
    87.5 KB · Views: 2,436

maxfischersweet

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
OWC posted a blog about this issue.

http://blog.macsales.com/14064-expand-the-2012-macbook-pros-with-an-owc-data-doubler

Here's the bit your asking about from the blog:
We’re happy to say that the 15” model can take a 6Gb/s drive in either bay. Unfortunately, we can’t recommend using a 6Gb/s drive in the optical bay of the 13” model at this time.

yes, i am aware of this blog, everyone points to it thinking it answers the question. no where in that blog does it say they are using sata3. 6gb/s drives are backwards compatible with sata2.

----------

From my system profiler, from the Superdrive part:

see now that helps.

what about the hard drive bay?

if its the same, it does seem to indicate SATA3

Cubeeless

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2012
Its 6 gigabit link speed and 3 gigabit negotiated for the hard disk and 6 and 1.5 for the DVD drive

Is it SATA III?

maxfischersweet

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
my mid 2009 13" macbook pro says this on both optical bay and hdd bay

Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

why would they now be less in a way newer machine.

if they both say 6 gig anywhere i imagine they are both sata3. can anyone confirm this.

----------

the 1.5 may just be what the superdrive is using or will use. since its a dvd player it can't even take full advantage of sata2 or even 3.

however i have no idea, this is guessing

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
Link speed is 6Gbit/s so it is indeed SATA-III capable. Obviously the HDD only runs at SATA-II speeds, and ODD only at SATA-I speed, but thats down to the devices, not the interface of the MBP.

HDD:
Link speed = 6Gbit/s
Neg speed = 3Gbit/s

ODD:
Link speed = 6Gbit/s
Neg speed = 1.5Gbit/s

senthor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Another question:
Can I move my drives directly, or do I have to reinstall OS X and transfer the files?
Are the drivers already included in OS X 10.7.4, or does it download the drivers when running Software Update?
Thanks!

Cubeeless

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2012
I have installed today the ram and memory by myself.

First you need to connect the SSD with your mac and make a 1:1 clone of your hdd on the sad, then you can exchange it nd it will boot normal.

To connect the sad you need a kit where where u can afterwards put the hdd in as and external hard drive.

BTW its SATA 3 Speed for both now 6gbits ;)))

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I have no idea if this issue is still current, but in my 2007 MBP the computer won't go to sleep unless the boot drive is in the original HDD bay. In my case I had to move the SSD to the HDD bay (and hence the regular HDD in the OptiBay, devoid of any extra shock protection features).

Is this still a current issue?

Cubeeless

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2012
I have no idea if this issue is still current, but in my 2007 MBP the computer won't go to sleep unless the boot drive is in the original HDD bay. In my case I had to move the SSD to the HDD bay (and hence the regular HDD in the OptiBay, devoid of any extra shock protection features).

Is this still a current issue?

I don't think that the macbook really matters in which "are" the boot disk is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.