Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:22 AM   #1
FreeJuice100
macrumors newbie

Jailbreaking iPhone 4s

Ok, I'm hoping someone can help me. I've never had any kind of apple device, my iPhone 4s (verizon iOS 5.1.1) is my first one. I really want to jailbreak it for all the goodies. Ive been doing a lot of research and I kinda know I'm what I'm doing... I think, but I have a couple of questions

- wtf is SHSH?
- wtf is tiny umbrella
- why do I need to know what those are?
- to jailbreak I just run my iPhone through redsnow? That's it?
- if a new update is released can I just update it through iTunes? Or will it brick my phone?
- do I update straight to a new jailbreak? Or do I have to restore it then jailbreak it again?
- when I restore my iPhone how can I get all my jail broken apps back?

And before you say "search for it", im sorry but i did. I can't find a clear solid answer.
FreeJuice100 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:22 AM   #2
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeJuice100 View Post
Ok, I'm hoping someone can help me. I've never had any kind of apple device, my iPhone 4s (verizon iOS 5.1.1) is my first one. I really want to jailbreak it for all the goodies. Ive been doing a lot of research and I kinda know I'm what I'm doing... I think, but I have a couple of questions

- wtf is SHSH?

blobs that allow a user to downgrade their current firmware to an older one.

- wtf is tiny umbrella

Software tool.

- why do I need to know what those are?

It aids you when modding / jail breaking your iPhone.

- to jailbreak I just run my iPhone through redsnow? That's it?

Check on clarified.com for the best tool for your version of iPhone.

- if a new update is released can I just update it through iTunes? Or will it brick my phone?

If you mean new firmware then you would have to wait until a new jailbreak is out for that version of firmware. Bricking an iPhone is rare.

- do I update straight to a new jailbreak? Or do I have to restore it then jailbreak it again?

Generally one would restore the iPhone as new, update to the new firmware and then re jailbreak using the relevant tool.

- when I restore my iPhone how can I get all my jail broken apps back?

I use a tweak called apt backup

And before you say "search for it", im sorry but i did. I can't find a clear solid answer.

You will get people saying search for it as the questions you posed have all the answers you will need on the internet.

iPhone 5s 16GB Space Grey - iOS 7.1.2
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 7.1.2

Last edited by bandofbrothers; Jun 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:38 AM   #3
FreeJuice100
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofbrothers View Post
You will get people saying search for it as the questions you posed have all the answers you will need on the internet.
Like I said, I can't find any clear solid answers. Some say use redsnow, green poison, megasnow, I can't find a single tutorial for someone like me...
- Brand new iPhone 4s 5.1.1.
- i wanna jailbreak.
- I wanna know how to update it before the next update comes along.

Some people say just plug it in and jailbreak it, others say back up all my **** on iTunes before Jailbreaking, other places say save your SHSH, others says that SHSH doesn't work with updates any way.... I'm so confused.

I have redsnow, an iPhone 4s with 5.1.1, and I want to jailbreak it and know how to update it when I need too. Thats all.
FreeJuice100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:09 PM   #4
labman
macrumors 604

Iclarified.com has all the answers.. How do you know that any of our answers are better then any others you have searched for.. 1st time I jailbroke I read up on it for a day or two and had a pretty good idea what I was doing. I also find that people willing to put a little time in are less likely to have problems latter.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:39 PM   #5
FreeJuice100
macrumors newbie

Not the answer I was looking for but thanks for pointing me in the right direction
FreeJuice100 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:50 PM   #6
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

Some good advice in previous posts.

Info, for a little while SHSH could not be used to downgrade 5+ firmware, ofcourse the devs came up with a solution so now yor SHSH's CAN be used again. Please save them.
Mac Book Pro 15" mid 2010
TriJetHero is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

You either didnt search or dont know how to.
If you just plug in to google what is shsh, what is tinyumbrella and the rest you will get tons of informative info.
Research and learn at least the basics of JB before you attempt anything.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:33 PM   #8
dhlizard
macrumors G3

My thoughts exactly.

When doing an SHSH search, Saurik's Caching Apple's Signature Server comes up, the best place to start reading about hashes and what they do.
Googling TinyUmbrella -well I will leave that alone for risk of posting a "snarky" answer.

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks