Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:40 PM   #1
cjoy383
macrumors newbie

Microsoft office 2011 compatable with mountain lion?

I have tried to find a more recent answer regarding ms office 2011 and compatibility with osX 10.8 mountain lion.The roaring apps website has a compatability list but there are no recent updates to this. There are several service pack updates to this office suite but I am not sure if these will work
With the new osX in July. I will be using only word, excel and PowerPoint....
No need for outlook. Is it advisible to buy office 2011 for Mac now or wait until later? Microsoft is no help whatsoever!
Also, I would be installing on the latest 13.3 inch MBP classic, my very first Mac!
Which of course is running the lion osX currently. Thanks in advance for help!
cjoy383 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 02:33 AM   #2
miles01110
macrumors 604

It'll probably run with the minor glitches that always show up with an OS upgrade. Microsoft will release a patch and they'll go away. Same old same old.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 03:36 PM   #3
dianeoforegon
macrumors 6502

If the new computer has a retina display, I would check out applications like Microsoft and Adobe to see how they display.

See this discussion on AskDifferent

Microsoft Office 2011 has yet to support full window option in Lion. For a while users with SSD drives had constant activation issues but that has been fixed. It's unknown how quickly they will add support for retina display.
dianeoforegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 03:41 PM   #4
NightStorm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeoforegon View Post
If the new computer has a retina display, I would check out applications like Microsoft and Adobe to see how they display.

See this discussion on AskDifferent

Microsoft Office 2011 has yet to support full window option in Lion. For a while users with SSD drives had constant activation issues but that has been fixed. It's unknown how quickly they will add support for retina display.
I'm pretty sure Lion's full window feature was implemented in SP2 earlier this year, at least for Outlook, Word, and Excel. I just bought a copy when my rMBP arrived and have used full screen mode a few times.
Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4+ (4x2TB)
NightStorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 04:06 PM   #5
revdrw
macrumors newbie

Sync calendars in Outlook 2011

I had no problems with my new Macbook Pro and MS Office 2011, until I tried to sync it with Google Calendar and iCal CalDAV. It wouldn't work. Flat out, you couldn't do it. I have a Dell with Outlook 2010 on it, and I use it extensively to make appointments, send e-mail reminders of appointments, etc. When I found that Outlook 2011 would not sync with ical and CalDAV (something about the newer OS?), I took my brand new MAcbook Pro (Bought June 7) back to the Apple Store for full refund. Geeze, you guys gotta make that work. I suppose I could have run Outlook with MS WIN 7 from my Mac, but you guys gotta do better than that.

I just read that MS will come out with a Service Pac that will fix some of that, but do be alert if Office Outlook Calendar is something you want to sync across platforms using Google calendars and your iCal.

This is the only problem I know about, other than that, MS Office 2011 worked great. But for me that one problem was a deal-breaker.

Any ideas?
revdrw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:34 AM   #6
ozaz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeoforegon View Post
Microsoft Office 2011 has yet to support full window option in Lion.
From April 2012 (9 months after Lion release date) it began to support Lion full screen mode in Word, Excel and Powerpoint, but not Outlook
ozaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 08:44 AM   #7
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
Quote:
Originally Posted by revdrw View Post
I had no problems with my new Macbook Pro and MS Office 2011, until I tried to sync it with Google Calendar and iCal CalDAV. It wouldn't work. Flat out, you couldn't do it. I have a Dell with Outlook 2010 on it, and I use it extensively to make appointments, send e-mail reminders of appointments, etc. When I found that Outlook 2011 would not sync with ical and CalDAV (something about the newer OS?), I took my brand new MAcbook Pro (Bought June 7) back to the Apple Store for full refund. Geeze, you guys gotta make that work. I suppose I could have run Outlook with MS WIN 7 from my Mac, but you guys gotta do better than that.

I just read that MS will come out with a Service Pac that will fix some of that, but do be alert if Office Outlook Calendar is something you want to sync across platforms using Google calendars and your iCal.

This is the only problem I know about, other than that, MS Office 2011 worked great. But for me that one problem was a deal-breaker.

Any ideas?
It is my understanding that the Outlook for Mac does not support CalDAV. It is an issue with Microsoft, not Apple since iCloud is CalDAV based in the first place. Don't blame Apple for something that Microsoft didn't allow in it's own program. It wasn't the macBook's fault that you couldn't sync Outlook with Google, it was Microsofts fault. You could have synced your Google calendar with iCal though.

It is Microsoft's fault that Outlook does not sync with iCloud. iCal however, syncs with most anything else on my Mac and iOS devices and that includes, BusyCal, Opus Domini, OmniFocus, FantastiCal so it is clearly that Outlook is the issue here and not Apple.

Last edited by ScottNWDW; Jul 7, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
ScottNWDW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

Generally, Microsoft updates its Office suite to accommodate the current operating systems - PC or Mac. They will be busy this year, what with Mountain Lion and Windows 8 on the horizon. As another poster said, there will likely be some glitches, later fixed by a patch.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:02 PM   #9
julsssark
macrumors newbie

Outlook 2011 (14.2.3) may not work correctly with Mountain Lion. The scheduler for meetings does not return attendee's free/busy status. It was working fine under Lion and 14.2.2.
julsssark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:03 AM   #10
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

One of my clients provides me with an email account and Outlook 2011. So far, the company that provides my client's Exchange server and other hosted stuff hasn't issued any alerts about potential conflicts with ML, and they're pretty good about those kinds of heads up. If they do issue an alert, I'll share anything that might be relevant to ML/O11 users.
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:50 AM   #11
julsssark
macrumors newbie

Weird but now the free/busy scheduler is working. There is a graphics glitch with the invite status (the graphic is cut off), but that's minor.

Update: it seems that the free/busy scheduler works intermittently. I haven't had enough time to diagnose what causes it to work/break.

Last edited by julsssark; Jul 16, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
julsssark is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store