Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jermza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
If I use a Mac and my wife uses a PC, then we can both access my Mac's Time Capsule?

Let's say I use it for backing up my Mac, but I also want to use it to store media (like movies or whatever) so that my wife can access that same media via her Windows PC.

Is this possible?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If I use a Mac and my wife uses a PC, then we can both access my Mac's Time Capsule?
Your Time Capsule is formatted as HFS+, which Windows cannot read/write natively.

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Let's say I use it for backing up my Mac, but I also want to use it to store media (like movies or whatever) so that my wife can access that same media via her Windows PC.

Is this possible?

While it is true that the Time Capsule drive is formatted in HFS+, that does not matter to you since you are accessing it as a networked drive. Windows can read/write to this drive just fine without adding any utility software to access HFS+ at all. Just configure the Time Capsule as a networked drive in Windows. The easiest way to do this is to use the Apple Airport Utility for Windows. You can find it here (I think this is also on the CD that came with the Time Capsule?).

Here is a step by step tutorial how to do what you want.

The previous poster's information is incorrect.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
While it is true that the Time Capsule drive is formatted in HFS+, that does not matter to you since you are accessing it as a networked drive.
I stand corrected. I keep forgetting about network access vs direct connection. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.