Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:44 AM   #1
chanyitian
macrumors regular

Macbook Air Anti-Theft Solutions?

Hey everyone, I will be purchasing a Macbook Air 13 inch soon. However, I am quite concerned about the fact that Macbook Air is vulnerable to theft. Unfortunately, the Air is not compatible with the Kensington locks. Is there lock for the Air? I know that Maclock offers a lock case for the AIR, if you happen to have one of those, what do you think about the case? thanks for your help.
chanyitian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:32 AM   #2
RocketRed
macrumors 6502a

The best Anti-Theft solution, in my opinion, has always been common sense.

Never leave your computer in your bag out of your sight, always keep your phone in your pockets... etc.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:36 AM   #3
littlestephen
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRed View Post
The best Anti-Theft solution, in my opinion, has always been common sense.

Never leave your computer in your bag out of your sight, always keep your phone in your pockets... etc.

best advice ever. My friend's 2011 MBP got stolen because he didn't use his common sense. He took his computer with him when he was at a soccer game. When he was substituted in, he left his bag outside the field.

When the game was done, someone took his MBP and his iPhone 4. The police couldn't catch the thief and he had to buy another MBP and iPhone 4. For me, my iPhone 4S will never go out of my sight. When my MBA is arrived, I will make sure it will stick with me all the time.

That is the best way to prevent it getting stolen
littlestephen is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:26 AM   #4
chanyitian
macrumors regular

I acknowledge the importance of common sense. However, is there any device which can help me prevent theft? ( lock my laptop to the table, motion sensors etc.)
chanyitian is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:46 AM   #5
BlazednSleepy
macrumors 6502a

They sell kensington locks for the NON retina display macbook pro's. But not for air's unfortunately.

Last edited by BlazednSleepy; Jun 17, 2012 at 02:52 AM.
BlazednSleepy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:51 AM   #6
Colpeas
macrumors 6502

Well, the missing kensington slot complicates the whole situation as I don't know about any similar lock, which is compatible with MBA, so IMO all you can do is to install LoJack for Laptops, set firmware password and enable guest account and Find my Mac service.
It won't prevent a thief from stealing your MacBook, but increases the probability of getting it back.

EDIT: this is the only thing I found, but the actual security is disputable... http://landingzone.net/
Colpeas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:54 AM   #7
RocketRed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyitian View Post
I acknowledge the importance of common sense. However, is there any device which can help me prevent theft? ( lock my laptop to the table, motion sensors etc.)
correct me if i am incorrect, but can't you use iCloud to track you Macbook Air?

I don't use an iPhone, but I remembered being able to locate the exact position of my Macbook Air on my... Macbook Air.

If you had an iPhone, you could track your Macbook Air's location... that's one form of security I suppose.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:17 AM   #8
Monkeyat
macrumors regular

There is this solution from macBracket but you have to leave the lid open !

Another one, also a open lid solution is available here.

Maybe the best solution is still to come... it's an USB cable lock! Will be available here but I honestly don't know how strong this is.

Finally, the problem with the case is that's plastic and it's screwed to you're computer. Don't you think that a so thin plastic skin is easily breakable ? The same for a USB lock, I don't think it will resist a "nice" touch

Anyway... cables are not so sure like we might think... I mean, if someone is really prepared to steal your notebook! Take a look at these videos :

http://youtu.be/Yw3J-6Vz4Ho
http://youtu.be/88LVofiBl5A
http://www.technalock.com/shop/USB_Cable_Lock-m35.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2WYUtrcRqw

You can see that I'm searching for a solution for a while... and until now the best one is : keep it safe and maybe buy an assurance

Last edited by Monkeyat; Jun 17, 2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: added video link
Monkeyat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:31 AM   #9
palpatine
macrumors 68040

It's an Air, one of the most portable computers every produced, so just stick it in a bag and carry it with you.
palpatine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:35 AM   #10
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post
It's an Air, one of the most portable computers every produced, so just stick it in a bag and carry it with you.
And obviously, sleep with it. But most people will want to do that anyway.
NewbieCanada is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:49 AM   #11
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieCanada View Post
How can you sleep when you have a computer this beautiful in bed next to you?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:07 AM   #12
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

Quote:
How can you sleep when you have a computer this beautiful in bed next to you?
How else can I pass the time until my MBPR arrives?

On a more serious note, I looked at that USB lock and I'm puzzled as to how it works and why it works on anything but MBAs. I'd be concerned about damaging the USB port.
NewbieCanada is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:16 AM   #13
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Quote:
How else can I pass the time until my MBPR arrives?

On a more serious note, I looked at that USB lock and I'm puzzled as to how it works and why it works on anything but MBAs. I'd be concerned about damaging the USB port.
I haven't seen the USB locks, but I have no interest in locking up my computer, so it is a moot point. When I leave the room / table, I pick up my computer and put it in my man bag. It takes no effort at all and makes sure that a "failed" theft doesn't tear my computer apart either. If I had sketchy living conditions (roommates, crazy girlfriends/boyfriends, etc.), I'd move, or purchase a lockbox of some kind (surely, there is more than just my computer to hide away). At any rate, as you can see on any youtube video, the locks are just a gimmick anyhow.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:47 AM   #14
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Which unfortunately tends to lead to liquid damage....
old-wiz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:48 AM   #15
Dangerous Theory
macrumors 68000

My favourite anti-theft solution is hold onto it tight...or be prepared to lamp any bastard who tries to nab it.
Dangerous Theory is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:37 PM   #16
tuxon86
macrumors 6502

Get a pit bull and tie his leash to your MBA...
tuxon86 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:39 PM   #17
TjeuV
macrumors 6502

Have a look at this : [URL=http://osxdaily.com/2007/02/21/ialertu-alarm-system-for-your-macbook-macbook-pro/] It's a kind of alarm system for you mac
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:00 PM   #18
GREEN4U
macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's as simple as "use common sense." Next year I work in a university research lab and most of the time will leave my computer out on my bench. When I need to leave the lab for a moment what am I supposed to do? Having a lock would make things a lot easier...
GREEN4U is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:04 PM   #19
mtreys
macrumors member

Not quite sure of a lock to use but I'd suggest installing Prey. It works great for me. Another thing you can use it is the iCloud to track it if lost.
mtreys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:11 PM   #20
huschpuscheli
macrumors regular

i own the new macbracket which was released last week or so. i cannot recommend it because it fits to tight around the black plastic hinge. it already scratched the plastic. i'm going to return it.
huschpuscheli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:17 PM   #21
bogatyr
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtreys View Post
Another thing you can use it is the iCloud to track it if lost.
Only if you leave your laptop open to use in the event of theft. FV2 and passwords prevent a user from using the laptop and getting on a wireless network - hence no tracking. Some have said that the laptop is still trackable even after being formatted - but that has not been my experience with either my MBA nor my iPhone.

My suggestion is to lock down your data - FV2 and turn off sleep mode. Then in the event of theft, have homeowner's insurance cover the new laptop. Very simple and no worries.
bogatyr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:12 PM   #22
firewood
macrumors 603

Quote:
Hard to do if you're substituted into a soccer game.

Maybe put it inside one of those bags with wire mesh and cable lock it to the bench? Or to the leash of your doberman/pitbull/et.al.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:29 AM   #23
palpatine
macrumors 68040

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewood View Post
Hard to do if you're substituted into a soccer game.

Maybe put it inside one of those bags with wire mesh and cable lock it to the bench? Or to the leash of your doberman/pitbull/et.al.
I don't know why you would be at a soccer game with your MBA, but if you are and they call you onto the field, why not have your MBA in your car. Or, better yet, locked up in your house?

By the way, the earlier comment about insurance is spot-on Lock down your data, encrypt your drive, and if you lose your computer or have it stolen, just file a claim. Much smarter than hoping to track down some dude through software.
palpatine is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:37 AM   #24
ixodes
macrumors 601

Laptop theft?

Thats a great excuse for me to have several bags to choose from

I never let any of my MBA's or MBP's sit out even for a moment. There's no excuse for it. Especially since Macs have such an ideal sleep function. I just close the lid, pop it in one of my bags, and it's 100% safe.

I literally never go anywhere without one of my MBA's or MBP's, that's why I have the different sizes. There's so many choices in good yet lightweight bags, that if you're patient & look around you'll find what works for you.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:44 AM   #25
GBlansten
macrumors member

Common sense goes a long way to keeping a laptop out of other people's hands. I would especially not like keeping a MBA lying around at work.

Last edited by GBlansten; Jul 12, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
GBlansten is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air