Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chanyitian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Hey everyone, I will be purchasing a Macbook Air 13 inch soon. However, I am quite concerned about the fact that Macbook Air is vulnerable to theft. Unfortunately, the Air is not compatible with the Kensington locks. Is there lock for the Air? I know that Maclock offers a lock case for the AIR, if you happen to have one of those, what do you think about the case? thanks for your help.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
The best Anti-Theft solution, in my opinion, has always been common sense.

Never leave your computer in your bag out of your sight, always keep your phone in your pockets... etc.

littlestephen

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
The best Anti-Theft solution, in my opinion, has always been common sense.

Never leave your computer in your bag out of your sight, always keep your phone in your pockets... etc.

best advice ever. My friend's 2011 MBP got stolen because he didn't use his common sense. He took his computer with him when he was at a soccer game. When he was substituted in, he left his bag outside the field.

When the game was done, someone took his MBP and his iPhone 4. The police couldn't catch the thief and he had to buy another MBP and iPhone 4. For me, my iPhone 4S will never go out of my sight. When my MBA is arrived, I will make sure it will stick with me all the time.

That is the best way to prevent it getting stolen :)

chanyitian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
I acknowledge the importance of common sense. However, is there any device which can help me prevent theft? ( lock my laptop to the table, motion sensors etc.)

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
They sell kensington locks for the NON retina display macbook pro's. But not for air's unfortunately.

Last edited:

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Well, the missing kensington slot complicates the whole situation as I don't know about any similar lock, which is compatible with MBA, so IMO all you can do is to install LoJack for Laptops, set firmware password and enable guest account and Find my Mac service.
It won't prevent a thief from stealing your MacBook, but increases the probability of getting it back.

EDIT: this is the only thing I found, but the actual security is disputable... http://landingzone.net/

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
I acknowledge the importance of common sense. However, is there any device which can help me prevent theft? ( lock my laptop to the table, motion sensors etc.)

correct me if i am incorrect, but can't you use iCloud to track you Macbook Air?

I don't use an iPhone, but I remembered being able to locate the exact position of my Macbook Air on my... Macbook Air.

If you had an iPhone, you could track your Macbook Air's location... that's one form of security I suppose.

Monkeyat

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
There is this solution from macBracket but you have to leave the lid open !

Another one, also a open lid solution is available here.

Maybe the best solution is still to come... it's an USB cable lock! Will be available here but I honestly don't know how strong this is.

Finally, the problem with the case is that's plastic and it's screwed to you're computer. Don't you think that a so thin plastic skin is easily breakable ? The same for a USB lock, I don't think it will resist a "nice" touch :(

Anyway... cables are not so sure like we might think... I mean, if someone is really prepared to steal your notebook! Take a look at these videos :

http://youtu.be/Yw3J-6Vz4Ho
http://youtu.be/88LVofiBl5A
http://www.technalock.com/shop/USB_Cable_Lock-m35.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2WYUtrcRqw

You can see that I'm searching for a solution for a while... and until now the best one is : keep it safe and maybe buy an assurance :rolleyes:

Last edited:

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
It's an Air, one of the most portable computers every produced, so just stick it in a bag and carry it with you.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
How can you sleep when you have a computer this beautiful in bed next to you?

How else can I pass the time until my MBPR arrives?

On a more serious note, I looked at that USB lock and I'm puzzled as to how it works and why it works on anything but MBAs. I'd be concerned about damaging the USB port.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
How else can I pass the time until my MBPR arrives?

On a more serious note, I looked at that USB lock and I'm puzzled as to how it works and why it works on anything but MBAs. I'd be concerned about damaging the USB port.

I haven't seen the USB locks, but I have no interest in locking up my computer, so it is a moot point. When I leave the room / table, I pick up my computer and put it in my man bag. It takes no effort at all and makes sure that a "failed" theft doesn't tear my computer apart either. If I had sketchy living conditions (roommates, crazy girlfriends/boyfriends, etc.), I'd move, or purchase a lockbox of some kind (surely, there is more than just my computer to hide away). At any rate, as you can see on any youtube video, the locks are just a gimmick anyhow.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
I don't think it's as simple as "use common sense." Next year I work in a university research lab and most of the time will leave my computer out on my bench. When I need to leave the lab for a moment what am I supposed to do? Having a lock would make things a lot easier...

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
i own the new macbracket which was released last week or so. i cannot recommend it because it fits to tight around the black plastic hinge. it already scratched the plastic. i'm going to return it.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Another thing you can use it is the iCloud to track it if lost.
Only if you leave your laptop open to use in the event of theft. FV2 and passwords prevent a user from using the laptop and getting on a wireless network - hence no tracking. Some have said that the laptop is still trackable even after being formatted - but that has not been my experience with either my MBA nor my iPhone.

My suggestion is to lock down your data - FV2 and turn off sleep mode. Then in the event of theft, have homeowner's insurance cover the new laptop. Very simple and no worries.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
It's an Air, one of the most portable computers every produced, so just stick it in a bag and carry it with you.

Hard to do if you're substituted into a soccer game.

Maybe put it inside one of those bags with wire mesh and cable lock it to the bench? Or to the leash of your doberman/pitbull/et.al.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
[/COLOR]
Hard to do if you're substituted into a soccer game.

Maybe put it inside one of those bags with wire mesh and cable lock it to the bench? Or to the leash of your doberman/pitbull/et.al.

I don't know why you would be at a soccer game with your MBA, but if you are and they call you onto the field, why not have your MBA in your car. Or, better yet, locked up in your house?

By the way, the earlier comment about insurance is spot-on Lock down your data, encrypt your drive, and if you lose your computer or have it stolen, just file a claim. Much smarter than hoping to track down some dude through software.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Laptop theft?

Thats a great excuse for me to have several bags to choose from :)

I never let any of my MBA's or MBP's sit out even for a moment. There's no excuse for it. Especially since Macs have such an ideal sleep function. I just close the lid, pop it in one of my bags, and it's 100% safe.

I literally never go anywhere without one of my MBA's or MBP's, that's why I have the different sizes. There's so many choices in good yet lightweight bags, that if you're patient & look around you'll find what works for you.

GBlansten

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Thick Ascending Limb
Common sense goes a long way to keeping a laptop out of other people's hands. I would especially not like keeping a MBA lying around at work.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.