Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
The iPad 3 is the only iPad to get Siri when iOS 6 comes out. If that matters to you.

The processor difference isn't much of a difference at all because the quad core is there more or less to support the higher resolution screen rather than any real world improvement in performance.

If you don't care for the Retina display and/or Siri then I see no reason to get the iPad 3. At this point though I don't think I could ever go back to the iPad 2 after using the Retina display.

The iPad 2 is as every bit as compatible with apps as the 3 is, minus any retina display advantages an app would have.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
If i had to do it again i would have kept my ipad 2 and not gone with the 3. For my eyes anyway the retina doesnt do anything for me. The battery life on the 2 was far better. I use the ipad a lot and now seem to charge it everyday. Would be days with my ipad2. I went with the 16gb verizon.

Sixtafoua

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Boston, MA
The two things other than the processor and retina display that were updated were 4G LTE and the 5MP camera with 1080p HD video.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The point is that the upgrade between the 2 and the 3 may not be important to some as it is for others. If the Retina display or Camera which had a big bump doesn't excite you then it's best to go with the i2 or wait for the next iPad next year.

I have both and can appreciate the display on the 3 during certain situations but many times it's not so obvious.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
What about the 1gb of ram on the 3 vs the 512mb on the 2. Does that make a big difference when multitasking? I have the iPad 1 and I can't stand how it needs to reload we pages when switching between tabs or when quickly switching to a little game like Words With Friends and then back to browsing. I hear the 2 is much better than the 1 for the reason of double the ram, and I'm wondering I'd the 3 is better still?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
What about the 1gb of ram on the 3 vs the 512mb on the 2. Does that make a big difference when multitasking? I have the iPad 1 and I can't stand how it needs to reload we pages when switching between tabs or when quickly switching to a little game like Words With Friends and then back to browsing. I hear the 2 is much better than the 1 for the reason of double the ram, and I'm wondering I'd the 3 is better still?

More Ram is always good but the iPad 2 currently performs on Par with the iPad 3. Here's the big ?. As Apple releases updates for both the iPad 2 and 3 will that impact the iPad 2? No one knows yet.

Indy2424

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
Besides the retina display and the small increase in the processor, is there any other specs that are significantly better between the iPad 2 vs. the iPad 3?

iPad 2
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013FRNKG

iPad 3
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00746UR2E

I debated over this for days and went with the new iPad and I have used about 5-6 hours a day and ending up around 45% battery left. I play games, surf the web and watch videos. I also have not noticed any kind of warming like I keep seeing on some of these thread. I would go with the 3 if I were you. After using this for 4 days and looking at a friends iPad 2 I a glad I went with the retina.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
It's funny.

In a way I'd say the iPad3 is the model to skip
What an iPad3 is, is an iPad3 with a better screen and tweaked to support the screen.

It's just a tech (we can do it) advancement to get the new screen in and working.

I'd say iPad4 will be THE new model. It will give them the whole year for the new screen to settle in, and then the speed upgrade that will go with the screen, which the iPad3 did not get.

iPad4 will be what you'd like iPad3 to really be.

A cheap iPad2 now, and plan in 9 months to get an iPad4 for a REAL upgrade would be by advice.

Go to a store, look at the screen difference, and if it's not THAT big a deal for you, then I'd do this.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
The iPad is all about the screen.

Make the screen twice as good and you make the hole experience twice as good.

No way I could go back to the iPad 2 now.

It's like going back to an iPhone 3GS after using an iPhone 4

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
The iPad is all about the screen.

Make the screen twice as good and you make the hole experience twice as good.

No way I could go back to the iPad 2 now.

It's like going back to an iPhone 3GS after using an iPhone 4

I'm not sure many would say it's only the screen that matters :rolleyes:

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
Dictation, 5mp HD video recording, much faster processor. In addition to the Retina display, those are hugely significant improvements.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Dictation, 5mp HD video recording, much faster processor. In addition to the Retina display, those are hugely significant improvement.

Which one? The CPU is the same as it is in the iPad 2 and the GPU is tweaked just to offset the higher resolution of the screen. Both devices perform on par of each other.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
Which one? The CPU is the same as it is in the iPad 2 and the GPU is tweaked just to offset the higher resolution of the screen. Both devices perform on par of each other.

A5 vs. A5x with upgraded graphics. Not the same. The extra processing power drives the retina display. Indirect benefit in resolution improvement.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
A5 vs. A5x with upgraded graphics. Not the same. The extra processing power drives the retina display. Indirect benefit in resolution improvement.

Indirect = minor update :p

Again, the A5 vs A5X is just there to support higher resolutions. The performance is offset by having to push the Retina display. If you want to believe that there is a massive performance difference between the iPad 2 and 3 or A5 vs A5X go right ahead.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
Indirect = minor update :p

Again, the A5 vs A5X is just there to support higher resolutions. The performance is offset by having to push the Retina display. If you want to believe that there is a massive performance difference between the iPad 2 and 3 or A5 vs A5X go right ahead.

It's too bad you're so confused about the differences, and think they're the same. Perhaps you want to self-justify your iPad 2 decision. If it makes you feel better, then it's ok to believe that storyline.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
It's too bad you're so confused about the differences, and think they're the same. Perhaps you want to self-justify your iPad 3 decision. If it makes you feel better, then it's ok to believe that storyline.

There fixed :p

Kolmogorov

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
iPad 3 vs. iPad 2
Enjoy retina now vs. enjoy retina later (after April 2013)
For me, a huge difference

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
iPad 3 vs. iPad 2
Enjoy retina now vs. enjoy retina later (after April 2013)
For me, a huge difference

I would agree.

If money is there for the more expensive newer model, and the reported? perhaps slightly not as good battery life is not an issue then go for the new model

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Retina. Only downside is a few magazines still are in the stone ages, and haven't updated for retina, and look HORRIBLE on the iPad 3, but other than that, the screen is AMAZING. I LOVE mine. Highly recommended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.