Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neil McRae

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
London, United Kingdom
still struggling why apple changed the MagSafe. it seems to have the same number of pins. I bought two of the converters for my psu at home and work but I have no doubt that I'll lose it as it it pops off. really crap. it would also be good to get a converter so you can use. new MagSafe with an old machine. should be doable.

Neil.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
but the machines that use it aren't! i see no need for it a all but i'm not going to sweat it, just looks like a money making scheme.
And because they make the power connector thinner this year, they also have to re-engineer the device to make the entire MBA thinner this year? A multi-year plan, maybe? Nah, passing it off to a 'money making scheme' requires much less thought.

Lindberg

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Denmark, Aarhus
Apple's argument about a need for a new MagSafe because of of a thinner profile makes no sense.

The old "thicker" magsafe worked fine on the very slim MBA 11/13. So why need to change this?

In our household we have 1 MBP and 1 MBA. Soon we will have another MBA and I am certain that this is going to be a source of frustration.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Apple has done this kind of fiddling around with connectors and the like for years. How many different battery connectors are there? How many different kinds of display connectors? I have a drawer full.

I won't say that they are doing this to make money. However, I will say that they don't seem terribly concerned about the cost or trouble for consumers. And, some of their changes make very little sense to me. The new battery connector sticks out further, is more difficult to detach (it just begs you to pull on the cord, and has a more annoying shiny light now. I was disappointed by this, but I'm not going to sweat a battery connector when there are so many other good things about the MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.