Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmcguckin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
Akron, OH
Hi, I'm not sure in which specific forum this question belongs, but my problem is this- I set my iPhone 4S to record an extended event but couldn't stay by the phone to keep the recording from going over a half hour. Now I am stuck with an 11GB, full HD video (which, while still on the 4S, displayed as being about 1:40:00) that is completely unopenable, and after quite a bit of searching, I haven't been able to find a solution to either splitting the file into smaller files or just opening it, period. Can anyone give me any suggestions or at least point me in the right direction? Any help would be much appreciated- thanks.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
First download the program VLC and after that is installed use the program Handbrake. Then import the video your Mac and use Hanbrake's presets to make a viable iPhone transcode. Then you can put the transcode video back in your iPhone.

jmcguckin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
Akron, OH
thanks for the suggestion- I've used the Handbrake/VLC combo in the past and never ran into an issue. this time around, though, I imported the file and tried to open it with Handbrake, which returned the error "No Valid Source Found." I watched several minutes of the video on my 4S before importing the video to my Mac (after which Image Capture deleted the file off my iPhone), so I know there isn't an error in the video. but since the only version of the file that I have access to is now on my Mac, there's no way for me to re-sync the file back to my iPhone in its current state (iTunes won't let me).

for the record, I've now tried QuickTime, VLC, Handbrake, iMovie, Aperture and Burn (to see if I could at least convert the file that way), and with no luck. the more I look around, the more I have a feeling that this is a duration/filesize issue (since the video is a single file that's nearly 2hrs long and is quite a bit larger than 4GB), but I can't find a way around that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.