Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:59 PM   #1
skitzodancer
macrumors member

speech emulators

hi,

when i was producing music on pc, i used FL studio and used the text to speech feature a fair bit.

is there anything like that for mac ?
skitzodancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 03:06 AM   #2
Plumbstone
macrumors regular

You can simply use the free built in app, 'TextEdit' - type in what ever you want, go to the edit menu, down to speech and click on 'start speaking'. It will use whatever voice you have selected under speech in your System Preferences.
Plumbstone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 04:37 AM   #3
localoid
macrumors 68020

If you want to make the Mac built-in text-to-speech voices sing different pitches try using the Sing command line utility program, which lets you specify the melody in ABC notation, which is a little simpler than using the Mac OS X's TUNE input-processing mode.

Last edited by localoid; Jun 20, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
localoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:42 PM   #4
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzodancer View Post
hi,

when i was producing music on pc, i used FL studio and used the text to speech feature a fair bit.

is there anything like that for mac ?
The best speech software on the planet is what I'd call "research grade" and made for use in university labs but it s free and not so hard to use. In fact I think this is what Apple is using inside Mac OS.

http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

Notice on the page it says version 2.1 is available for download. This software allows you to build your own voices, add intonation, pitch and whatever. You can mix some directives with your text and send it to the engine. Comes with several different speakers with different accents
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:46 PM   #5
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
The best speech software on the planet is what I'd call "research grade" and made for use in university labs but it s free and not so hard to use. In fact I think this is what Apple is using inside Mac OS.

http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

Notice on the page it says version 2.1 is available for download. This software allows you to build your own voices, add intonation, pitch and whatever. You can mix some directives with your text and send it to the engine. Comes with several different speakers with different accents
For music production, one big downside of Festival is that commercial use of most (or perhaps all) the voices in prohibited. So for example, you couldn't use it in a recording of a song that is offered for sale.

If I remember correctly, Festival's system for controlling pitch used XML markup, which made the process time-consuming. There was a project based on Festival called Flinger that allowed use of MIDI to control pitch of the synthesized speech. It seemed promising, but I haven't heard much about it in years. It is still around?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:57 PM   #6
skitzodancer
macrumors member

the good thing about the FL studio one was how crap it sounded... you can hear it being used in deadmau5 somethings get complicated and im pretty sure benny bessani used it on the satisfaction song.

looks like ill need to get a cheap windows pc and run fl on it just for these vocals
skitzodancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Tags
emulator, speec