Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Rantipole
macrumors regular

Are Arris modems known to dislike Apple?

I've just moved and had Comcast install the phone/wi-fi router. (At my old place, I had a linksys netgear wi-fi router which worked fine.)

Now, my Windoze netbooks stays connected perfectly to the Arris wi-fi. But neither my iPhone, iPad ( both OS5) nor Mac (Snow Leopard still) can stay connected. I have to reset them.

I'd love to put the blame on Comcast/Arris, but there is the solid connection for the netbook staring me in the face. And when I called Comcast for help, that is their position as well... "you have a connection, so it is not a modem issue." Is this an Apple issue?

It is the Arris TG862g/ct if that makes a difference. It handles the landline phone, wi-fi, and could handle ethernet lines as well.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:05 PM   #2
teelok
macrumors newbie

ARRIS to IPAD Problem?

I seem to be having the same problem connecting the IPAD2 to the ARRIS TG862G/CT modem/router. I've contacted COMCAST as well as APPLE and came up empty. Since the modem/router was obtained from COMCAST, ARRIS doesn't appear to want to talk with me directly. Have you had any success?
teelok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 05:54 AM   #3
boatbuilder
macrumors newbie

I just installed one too and it seems to work fine except that when I open windows 7 on my imac using Parallels I get an I.P. address conflict pop up message and lose my wifi connection on the imac.

Help!
boatbuilder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Rantipole
macrumors regular

After further research, it appears these "all-in-one" routers are trouble. Mine is currently working again, but apparently the wi-fi element is frequently a problem. I've haven't needed to try yet, but I heard pressing the reset button for a full 60 seconds may help.

If I continue to have problems, I think the best solution is to get a separate wi-fi router.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:45 PM   #5
boatbuilder
macrumors newbie

I called Parallels Support and they quickly fixed it. They told me to open Parallels, click on Devices at the top of the screen, click on Network 1 and check Shared Network.

seems to work ok now.
boatbuilder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:58 PM   #6
teelok
macrumors newbie

ARRIS to IPAD Problem?

I seem to have found the solution to my problem of not being able to connect an IPAD2 to the TG862G/CT. When I initially tried to connect using the supplied key found on the bottom of the Modem/Router, the key wasn't accepted. I then made up a new key and tried it. The new key worked. Why the provided key wouldn't work, I don't have a clue. Note, to clear the old key in the IPAD, you need to enter GENERAL|RESET|RESET NETWORK SETTINGS.
teelok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:25 PM   #7
weespeed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by teelok View Post
I seem to have found the solution to my problem of not being able to connect an IPAD2 to the TG862G/CT. When I initially tried to connect using the supplied key found on the bottom of the Modem/Router, the key wasn't accepted. I then made up a new key and tried it. The new key worked. Why the provided key wouldn't work, I don't have a clue. Note, to clear the old key in the IPAD, you need to enter GENERAL|RESET|RESET NETWORK SETTINGS.
This was my solution as well.
Seems all the windows PC's in the house would connect with that 20 digit password, but none of the Apple devices would. 4 iphones, 2 ipads, and a Macbook air. But changing the wifi password solved it all.

I'm thinking the password is just too long for the Apple devices. MAybe it wasn't programmed to take that crazy factory password.
weespeed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:53 PM   #8
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502

I used to have an AT&T 2Wire router for my DSL. A fascinating thing used to happen with this modem. If a PC was connected by itself, it worked fine. If a Mac was connected by itself, it worked fine. If two PCs or two Macs were connected, it worked fine.

If however a Mac and a PC tried to be on at the same time, the modem would reboot every few minutes. AT&T didn't believe me.

Moral: Buy an AirPort or a used Linksys. Yes, it sucks that you have to spend more money, but in my experience the ISP will be just about as unhelpful as possible.
larrylaffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Rantipole
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by weespeed View Post
MAybe it wasn't programmed to take that crazy factory password.
I'm all for the security that comes with random letters and numbers, but those passwords are absurdly and unnecessarily long.

I've found another "fix" elsewhere. This fix worked only for a week, the first time I tried it, then has been working uninterrupted for about a month now. Press the reset button, but hold it in for at least 60 seconds before releasing it. This resets everything, so if you have adjusted the password, you'll have to do it again.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 10:28 AM   #10
jblagden
macrumors newbie

Airport Extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rantipole View Post
I've just moved and had Comcast install the phone/wi-fi router. (At my old place, I had a linksys netgear wi-fi router which worked fine.)

Now, my Windoze netbooks stays connected perfectly to the Arris wi-fi. But neither my iPhone, iPad ( both OS5) nor Mac (Snow Leopard still) can stay connected. I have to reset them.

I'd love to put the blame on Comcast/Arris, but there is the solid connection for the netbook staring me in the face. And when I called Comcast for help, that is their position as well... "you have a connection, so it is not a modem issue." Is this an Apple issue?

It is the Arris TG862g/ct if that makes a difference. It handles the landline phone, wi-fi, and could handle ethernet lines as well.

Thoughts? Thanks.
A great way to avoid this is to use your own wireless router instead of using the modem's built-in router. I use an Airport Extreme which is connected to the Arris modem. Besides, this reduces the modem to just that, a modem. Also, with an Airport Extreme, you can plug in printers and hard drives so you can share them across the network.

Last edited by jblagden; Apr 28, 2014 at 07:04 PM.
jblagden is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Tags
arris, comcast, wi-fi