Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam1986

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
If someone would be so kind as to help, I would greatly appreciate it as I'm going out of town this week and I really need my Mac. I have an older Macbook Pro with the last version of Tiger (as I recall) and Windows XP via bootcamp. I can boot to the Windows side, but can't boot to Mac. I get through to my desktop and can see my dock on the bottom and the very top bar but I have no icons and the spinning circle keeps going around and around until I get a blue screen, which then returns back to the desktop, spinning circle, etc. in an endless loop. I have referred to this posting (http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_doesn't_boot) and here's what has happened:
1. SMC reset - Nothing changed

2. PRAM reset - Nothing changed

3. Safe boot - the safe boot loops too without going to the desktop

4. Hardware test - Everything checked out okay

I also did the command s at startup and checked /sbin/fsck –fy and everything came back as okay

5. Boot from install disk. Boot from the disk that came with your Mac. Hold C while booting. Select Disk Utility from top bar and repair permissions and verify the disk. Reboot normally and see if it works now.

~This is where I now have a question. When I hold c, I get a select language screen, then a welcome to MAC OS X Installer screen, then the license agreement screen and then a select a destination screen. I never see a disk utility screen as mentioned above. Also a the select a destination screen, I see a yellow exclamation mark and the note, "You cannot install MAC OS X on this volume without changing your install settings. Click options to change settings. A newer version of MAC OS X is installed." When I click options, the archive and install is selected. So,my questions are
a) Am I going to lose everything if I continue from this screen? I think I have most everything backed up, but I'd prefer not to trust that. Will I have different options on what I'd like to do? All the posts I see about doing this step, seem to have other options that don't appear on my screen
b) Are the discs I'm installing from, an older version than what I have on my machine? They are what came with my system.
c) Is there a way to just try to repair the operating system so that I don't lose everything?
d) I see people discussing repair permissions, etc., but I don't know how to get to that? Can you advise...
e) Is there something else I should try?
I've had my system for awhile, but have only had hardware failures that were covered under warranty, so I have no experience working with laptops or Mac operating systems. I truly appreciate any help you can offer.

coolmacoz

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
Sydney, Australia
After boots up from System CD and choosing the language, there is an "Utilities" menu at the top and if you click on that you can find "Disk Utility" and you can launch it from there and run "Disk Permission Repair".

No, you won't loose all the data if you choose the option 2 "Archive and install" or Option 3 to "update the system". Option 1 is "erase and install" and you will loose all the data. But your Windows partition probably won't work after re-installing the system. "Archive & Install" is meant to repair the system only, but it creates a new "Users" folder and all the data in the old "Users" folder will be stored in "Previous system" folder.

Your system CD has older system because your have done the software update on your computer, which probably updated the system say from 10.4.6 to 10.4.7 etc.

sam1986

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
The only discs that came with my system are MAC OS X Install Disc 1 and 2 and the AppleCare Protection Plan TechTool deluxe CD. Am I missing another disc? Also, you mentioned my Windows partition might not work afterwards. Are you saying I would most likely have to reinstall Bootcamp and Windows as well? Thanks for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.