Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
I've been using my PB G4 15" for the past seven years. I'm going to be a grad student this fall and have been holding out for a great new machine with better form factor. I was a little disappointed with the WWDC new MacBook pro retina just because it's so darn expensive!! I paid 1499 in 2005 for my Powerbook; I can't see myself spending more than that in 2012.

Now the Air is starting to look really good to me. But I'm hesitant because I'm used to my "pro" level laptop; part of the reason I think it's lasted me so long is because it was well-built at the time. How long are these Airs lasting? Do I have a legit concern? BTW I've ruled out the legacy MBP completely. Too heavy, too much of the same old.

What's your advice?

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
What "pro" features of the laptop did you use? If your laptop lasted you for 7 years, I don't see why not the Macbook Air can handle everything you need plus more.

My sister's Macbook Core Duo gen bought in 2006 still runs to this day, so I'm sure the current macbooks are just as good.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
What "pro" features of the laptop did you use? If your laptop lasted you for 7 years, I don't see why not the Macbook Air can handle everything you need plus more.

My sister's Macbook Core Duo gen bought in 2006 still runs to this day, so I'm sure the current macbooks are just as good.

Well I WAS using photoshop before my copy got deleted when I upgraded to Leopard, LOL. Truthfully though I don't use any pro features...I just think that buying more than I needed has served me well.

I really can't imagine lugging my Powerbook at my new school anymore. This is the year I have to upgrade, the question just is do I buy this summer (and if so then what?) or wait til he middle of the semester (oct) for a possible update for retina Airs or 13" MBPs...

currahee2100

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
Well I WAS using photoshop before my copy got deleted when I upgraded to Leopard, LOL. Truthfully though I don't use any pro features...I just think that buying more than I needed has served me well.

I really can't imagine lugging my Powerbook at my new school anymore. This is the year I have to upgrade, the question just is do I buy this summer (and if so then what?) or wait til he middle of the semester (oct) for a possible update for retina Airs or 13" MBPs...

Dang! That stinks!!! I woulda raged if that happened to me. I dont think we will see retina airs for a while... I think the 13" rmbp will be around 1599 (you heard it here first!) the airs do have a rather high density display, though not retina level its still nice.

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
Clearly the new 15" MBPs are overkill for what you seek. So you should be looking at either the 13" MBP or the 13" Air. Honestly, I would get an Air at this point, I used to carry around my 15" MBP around college + books and it was not pretty. I can do that now with the Air. And it will give you more power than you will need.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
It sounds like if you are able to do everything that you want now on a 7 year old laptop, the base 13in MacBook Air is perfect for you. It will be like going from a V 4 to a V 8.

Honestly, I don't see the Air getting Retina for at least a year, conservatively 2-3 (Haswell processor). Now would be a great time to upgrade to the Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.