Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c.s.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Since Apple has phased out FireWire, how do you connect Macs now to migrate? Will USB work? That will take forever. Some sort of FireWire adapter? I've got a 2009 MBP.

gadgetmonster

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
i just did this using the migration assistant over wifi; see my other thread. In the end, it worked out. But, i think it would have been faster to have restored from a backup.

c.s.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
So you think Time Machine backup would be faster than WiFi? Thanks!

----------

Checked out your other thread. I'll just use an external backup. 10 hrs is brutal.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I have two USB-ethernet connectors, so I'm going to try direct ethernet connection for migration. It's only 100Mbps, but it's better than wifi.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I used this time to do some much needed housekeeping. I only need to reinstall office and a few more things I can get from the store as I've already paid for them. The rest of my files that are content (xls,,doc, jpg,mp4,etc) I found using a finder search and put them in folders and moved to a 64G thumb drive

Easy and neat....

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If you are migrating from another Thunderbolt-equipped Mac, you can use a Thunderbolt cable, and Migration Assistant, putting the old Mac into Target Disk Mode. That's what I did when migrating from my 2011 to my 2012. It was a breeze, and extremely fast. Otherwise, you can use the Thunderbolt-to-USB connector or forthcoming Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter on your new Mac to connect to an older Mac with Firewire.

amien

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
Is everything being migrated? Settings of programs, login of websites etc?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is everything being migrated? Settings of programs, login of websites etc?

If you are asking does Migration Assistant migrate all those things, yes it can. There is a list of checkboxes where you can select what you do or do not want moved over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.