Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:05 AM   #1
danc222
macrumors newbie

Pegasus R6 as server AND personal hard drive

Hi,
My small office runs off a gigabit ethernet network switch connected to a 2-disk raid 0 NAS.

I was looking at buying the pegasus R6 unit to replace the NAS as well as provide me with fast external storage. I was going to do this by connecting the R6 to my computer via thunderbolt, then allowing access to (part) of the storage via ethernet.

Does this seem like a silly thing to do? I'm guessing the other users should get fastest speeds possible for gigabit ethernet (100 odd MB/s) while I get 600+ MB/s. Seems like a win-win. Unless there is a better configuration I'm missing?
Suggestions much appreciated.
Cheers
danc222 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:15 AM   #2
matspekkie
macrumors member

The pegasus is mere an very fast secure (raid) external drive. Meaning it has no ethernet ports so your computer has to be on all the time an other computer wants to access the shares, these shares you will have to enable on your computer. In short this can work but one computer has to function as a fileserver on the other hand this will very likely be much faster than an cheaper has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc222 View Post
Hi,
My small office runs off a gigabit ethernet network switch connected to a 2-disk raid 0 NAS.

I was looking at buying the pegasus R6 unit to replace the NAS as well as provide me with fast external storage. I was going to do this by connecting the R6 to my computer via thunderbolt, then allowing access to (part) of the storage via ethernet.

Does this seem like a silly thing to do? I'm guessing the other users should get fastest speeds possible for gigabit ethernet (100 odd MB/s) while I get 600+ MB/s. Seems like a win-win. Unless there is a better configuration I'm missing?
Suggestions much appreciated.
Cheers
matspekkie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:18 AM   #3
radiogoober
Banned

Your plan will work fine. Thunderbolt is 10x faster than Gigabit Ethernet. As stated as long as your computer is turned on, no issues.
radiogoober is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking