Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danc222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2012
Hi,
My small office runs off a gigabit ethernet network switch connected to a 2-disk raid 0 NAS.

I was looking at buying the pegasus R6 unit to replace the NAS as well as provide me with fast external storage. I was going to do this by connecting the R6 to my computer via thunderbolt, then allowing access to (part) of the storage via ethernet.

Does this seem like a silly thing to do? I'm guessing the other users should get fastest speeds possible for gigabit ethernet (100 odd MB/s) while I get 600+ MB/s. Seems like a win-win. Unless there is a better configuration I'm missing?
Suggestions much appreciated.
Cheers

matspekkie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
The pegasus is mere an very fast secure (raid) external drive. Meaning it has no ethernet ports so your computer has to be on all the time an other computer wants to access the shares, these shares you will have to enable on your computer. In short this can work but one computer has to function as a fileserver on the other hand this will very likely be much faster than an cheaper has.

Hi,
My small office runs off a gigabit ethernet network switch connected to a 2-disk raid 0 NAS.

I was looking at buying the pegasus R6 unit to replace the NAS as well as provide me with fast external storage. I was going to do this by connecting the R6 to my computer via thunderbolt, then allowing access to (part) of the storage via ethernet.

Does this seem like a silly thing to do? I'm guessing the other users should get fastest speeds possible for gigabit ethernet (100 odd MB/s) while I get 600+ MB/s. Seems like a win-win. Unless there is a better configuration I'm missing?
Suggestions much appreciated.
Cheers

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Your plan will work fine. Thunderbolt is 10x faster than Gigabit Ethernet. As stated as long as your computer is turned on, no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.