Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

So Random

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
Interesting:

I've learned that iOS is what Apple wants it to be and Android is, for better or worse, what you make of it. In the last 29 days:

I have rooted my phone.
I have gone from 9 homescreens full of widgets and app shortcuts, to 5 homescreens full of mostly widgets, and finally now to mimilistic approach with only 3 homescreens, one widget on each home screen with a custom lockscreen full of my most-used apps.
I have installed Titanitum Backup and manually frozen bloatware and other unused Sense features.
I have manually unlocked the bootloader, at the risk of bricking my phone.
I've installed custom recovery tools.
I've installed a couple of custom ROMs (CleanROM Lite 1.1 and CleanROM DE 2.3).
I've flashed a new radio.

Can I honestly say I'd be as happy with my Android experience if I hadn't gone through all of this? I don't know. The stock Sense experience I started with a month ago was certainly not a bad one, but it also wasn't as smooth as the custom ROM I am using today. I think I'd still be holding onto the One X, if only for the hardware, but I might be a bit more torn by the decision.

Am I worried that my phone may not get Jelly Bean or Key Lime Pie? Maybe a little, but right now, there's not really much more I want out of the phone - and, as a tinkerer, I am already looking forward to a bright future with this device. There are enough customization options, even without custom ROMs, that I think it'll take me quite awhile before getting bored again

I think I'll pass on the whole "Android experience", thanks.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Good read. Thanks for posting the link. That was an objective article with a good personal touch.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Currently owning both an iPhone and Android Phone, I can agree with this.

I think as it stands right now, iOS and Android both do a pretty good job at doing the exact same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.