Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:52 PM   #26
Ke5
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki2594 View Post
so I talked with Apple and after trying everything with them, nothing really worked.

So I made a new admin account and when i logged into that, everything was fine. So I had to delete the other admin accounts (i didn't lose my applications still) and now I have to manually move my music/movies over BUT all is well now at least.
That's good it's not happening on the new account. I deleted the plist for about the 3rd time, emptied my trash, shut down, left it off for about 2 hours, and so far on reboot I'm also not having the issue any more. Tomorrow running all day will tell if it's fixed or just resolved for the time being.
Ke5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:29 PM   #27
NitrousFlare
macrumors member

My Solution

Hey Everyone,

TL;DR: Genius went through preference files and found the corrupt one -- works fine now

Background: I had a mid-2011 MBP with lion, and transferred to my mid-2012 11" mba. I soon discovered that the "dock" process was using up >85% of my cpu, and causing all sorts of related problems (fan speeds, temp, battery life).

Solution:
Went to the genius bar and this is what he did:

Replaced the mba (since I bought it yesterday), and transferred all my data to the new computer. Result: same problem

Created a new user on the mba. Result: problem solved

So he renamed my existing library folder ("\Users\*username*\Library\) to
"library old". Then, from the new user's account (he logged in as "root" user) and copied/pasted the clean "library" folder into into my original user's library (replacing the existing one).*

*here he did some terminal stuff to show hidden folders b/c the user's library is hidden

Then he copied, folder by folder (then file by file when we isolated the problem to be in the preferences folder), my files from "library old" into "library," after each folder, logging out (cmd+shift+q), relogging into my user account, and running activity manager to see if the "dock" application was still acting up.

After ~1.5hours, we identified "com.apple.desktop.plist" and "com.apple.desktop.plist.lockfile" as the corrupt files and deleted them.
Result: problem solved.

Hope this helps!
NitrousFlare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 02:02 AM   #28
ki2594
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ki2594
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitrousFlare View Post
Hey Everyone,

TL;DR: Genius went through preference files and found the corrupt one -- works fine now

Background: I had a mid-2011 MBP with lion, and transferred to my mid-2012 11" mba. I soon discovered that the "dock" process was using up >85% of my cpu, and causing all sorts of related problems (fan speeds, temp, battery life).

Solution:
Went to the genius bar and this is what he did:

Replaced the mba (since I bought it yesterday), and transferred all my data to the new computer. Result: same problem

Created a new user on the mba. Result: problem solved

So he renamed my existing library folder ("\Users\*username*\Library\) to
"library old". Then, from the new user's account (he logged in as "root" user) and copied/pasted the clean "library" folder into into my original user's library (replacing the existing one).*

*here he did some terminal stuff to show hidden folders b/c the user's library is hidden

Then he copied, folder by folder (then file by file when we isolated the problem to be in the preferences folder), my files from "library old" into "library," after each folder, logging out (cmd+shift+q), relogging into my user account, and running activity manager to see if the "dock" application was still acting up.

After ~1.5hours, we identified "com.apple.desktop.plist" and "com.apple.desktop.plist.lockfile" as the corrupt files and deleted them.

Hope this helps!
woo great! glad to hear it worked out for both of us! hopefully that solves the issue for anyone else as well.

p.s now that i've finally had real time to use this thing, oh my goodness does it scream. fantastic machine. and thank god for SSD drives!
ki2594 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:26 AM   #29
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitrousFlare View Post

Thanks for reporting back! Glad you got it sorted out!
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:24 AM   #30
mixman
macrumors member

Thanks! I had this very same problem, with Dock taking all CPU, after using Migration Assistant to bring over previous machines files.

Code:
# open Terminal
cd ~/Library/Preferences/
rm com.apple.desktop.plist
killall Dock

Last edited by mixman; Jun 21, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
mixman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:42 PM   #31
agedge
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman View Post
Thanks! I had this very same problem, with Dock taking all CPU, after using Migration Assistant to bring over previous machines files.

Code:
# open Terminal
killall Dock
Fantastic worked for mine I migrated from an SL MB. 94% on the dock..
agedge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:42 AM   #32
brownricetofu
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agedge View Post
Fantastic worked for mine I migrated from an SL MB. 94% on the dock..
Just wanted to say thanks to this thread I too have solved the problem.

Migrated from SL to my new MBA i7/8g/512 and had the exact same problem. Ran this:

# open Terminal
killall Dock

in terminal and the problem is solved

So does this mean that I don't have to hunt for and delete the file mentioned above:

?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:05 AM   #33
snazawa
macrumors newbie

Simple solution

Don't know if this will solve the problem for everyone and don't know if this is a permanent fix for me, but on a different thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1387245) someone mentioned changing the Desktop image from a custom one (if you have one) to a built-in OSX stock desktop image, and then logging out and back in. It worked for me and now no out of control Dock process.

Last edited by snazawa; Jul 14, 2012 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Additional info
snazawa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:42 AM   #34
johnnylion
macrumors newbie

Just adding a +1 on the following:

# open Terminal
killall Dock

I had the exact same problem on my shiny new MBA and the above command fixed the Dock CPU usage problem instantly. It also reset all my custom desktop pictures to the default Andromeda galaxy pic. Now I'll try and add some custom shots and see if the problem repeats itself.
johnnylion is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:42 PM   #35
Wynand32
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazawa View Post
Don't know if this will solve the problem for everyone and don't know if this is a permanent fix for me, but on a different thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1387245) someone mentioned changing the Desktop image from a custom one (if you have one) to a built-in OSX stock desktop image, and then logging out and back in. It worked for me and now no out of control Dock process.
In case anyone else has this problem, this also worked for me. I was using some custom wallpaper on my new MBA, and the Dock started running at over 90% (and the fans at about 5000 RPM). Going back to a stock image resolved this for me.
Wynand32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:05 AM   #36
johnnylion
macrumors newbie

Follow up...

Just a follow up on the desktop picture thing: I've since added custom photos to the 8 different desktop spaces I'm using, and the CPU spike hasn't happened. Not sure what's up with that, but happy to have a speedy new MBA!

Cheers,
John
johnnylion is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air