Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Jazwire
macrumors 6502a

Thumbs down Magsafe 2 , Bleh....

Why did they go back to the old design with the cord sticking straight out from the side?

Now when I use its on my lap, I keep disconnecting the laptop power with my knee, because it protrudes out too far.

Plus it was nice to channel the cord away from you not out to the side of you.

Not a huge deal i guess, but I was very happy with the last generation of MagSafe and this is a step backward, imo.

The adaptor and old MagSafe does kind fix the channeling it away from you issue, but it still sticks out.

Oh well, love the laptop, just wish they would have left the charger alone it was great the way it was.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Technically the T design is better. It allows the cord to cone out easier when someone trips over it. The L cord took more force therefore hurt the laptop a bit more. I have rested both the L and T on a 13" MBP 2009 and the T worked better.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:46 PM   #3
JasonR
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why they changed it.
JasonR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:50 PM   #4
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

Continue using your old L charger with a magsafe adapter
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:53 PM   #5
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

I think the magsafe 2 design for the new retina was a complete failure.

First of all, why use Magsafe 2, why make it thinner? Magsafe 1 fit on the macbook air, why the hell couldn't they make it fit on the retina.

Second, why why why did they have to go with the T-connector. The L-connector is so much less intrusive! This made absolutely no sense to me.

Now everyone who has multiple notebooks or has ACD/TBD are going to have to buy a converter. What happens when magsafe 2 comes to new thunderbolt displays? Are they going to release another converter......just stealing money from us.

This is a complete fail by Apple.......
mohsy90 is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:59 PM   #6
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

I felt the same way when I first found out about it.

But it seems MagSafe 2 offers a few advantages:

-it's 20 Volts instead of 16.5, so the power transmission is more efficient (less heat)
-it disconnects more easily if someone trips over it, less chance of pulling the laptop without disconnecting

It's definitely not a clear undisputed winner over MagSafe 1 (especially considering that all MagSafe 1s are rendered outdated now), but as long as they don't change it anytime soon again, I don't mind.
shurcooL is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:01 PM   #7
ApplEngineer
macrumors regular

Based on the previous rumored smaller connector for the iPhone, I think this is a way to introduce a smaller connector that we may see in an upcoming iPhone.

Wouldn't be surprised to have the magsafe2 connector on the next iPhone, but with data connectivity obviously. Just my 2 cents though.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why they changed it.
They changed it so they can come out with a new design that's goes straight back. You have to leave room for improvement.
Radiating is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:05 PM   #9
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
They changed it so they can come out with a new design that's goes straight back. You have to leave room for improvement.
So they will market it as the new "Magsafe 2" connector that will look identical to the current magsafe 1 L-connector. lol, i wouldn't be surprised

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post

-it's 20 Volts instead of 16.5, so the power transmission is more efficient (less heat)
-it disconnects more easily if someone trips over it, less chance of pulling the laptop without disconnecting

It's definitely not a clear undisputed winner over MagSafe 1 (especially considering that all MagSafe 1s are rendered outdated now), but as long as they don't change it anytime soon again, I don't mind.
I think that transmission efficiency could also have been done with the magsafe 1. I do agree with the second one, definitely less likely for someone to pull the laptop with a T-connector.
mohsy90 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:06 PM   #10
jeremyshaw
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplEngineer View Post
Based on the previous rumored smaller connector for the iPhone, I think this is a way to introduce a smaller connector that we may see in an upcoming iPhone.

Wouldn't be surprised to have the magsafe2 connector on the next iPhone, but with data connectivity obviously. Just my 2 cents though.
That would be an awesome idea for the next TB display. Data, power, all in one cable. *AND* compatible with the iPhone.
jeremyshaw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:06 PM   #11
Jazwire
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Lol ya, (Next Summer)

2013 MBP-Retina

Features:
NEW & Improved!! L-Shaped MagSafe 2 Connection!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:07 PM   #12
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazwire View Post
Lol ya, (Next Summer)

2013 MBP-Retina

Features:
NEW & Improved!! L-Shaped MagSafe 2 Connection!
Lol, exactly!!
mohsy90 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:08 PM   #13
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Heh, kinda how the redesigned MBA from 2010 lost the backlit keyboard of the original, just to have it re-added later.

I really hope they don't change it back to L-shape, that'd be such a palmface move.
shurcooL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:19 PM   #14
Orange Furball
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Orange Furball
Magsafe for the iPhone is impossible in its current form factor. They would have to add two data pins. Which means 4 pins total, as each side is the same as the other. Right now there is 5 pins. With data it would be 9 pins. They will probably either go with micro USB or a new dock connector.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:30 PM   #15
mackmgg
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
I think that transmission efficiency could also have been done with the magsafe 1. I do agree with the second one, definitely less likely for someone to pull the laptop with a T-connector.
I don't know though, if they made the MagSafe 1 20V, there's the potential to fry one of the computers. The new retina MBP supports both the old and new chargers with an adapter, but if the 20V ones were the same shape as the 16V ones, that could lead to some issues.
mackmgg is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:31 PM   #16
Adamantoise
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

What nonsense.

That has nothing to do with the connector but rather the adapter.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:38 PM   #17
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantoise View Post
What nonsense.

That has nothing to do with the connector but rather the adapter.
Having a new connector allowed them to change the voltage safely.

If they simply changed the voltage without changing the connector, lots of people would connect the new 20V adapter to an older 16.5V laptop and it could cause problems.

There's a reason they made the MagSafe-to-MagSafe-2 adapter but not the other way around.

So while the voltage and connector are not directly connected, they are indirectly related.
shurcooL is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:41 PM   #18
hashholly
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Having a new connector allowed them to change the voltage safely.

If they simply changed the voltage without changing the connector, lots of people would connect the new 20V adapter to an older 16.5V laptop and it could cause problems.

There's a reason they made the MagSafe-to-MagSafe-2 adapter but not the other way around.

So while the voltage and connector are not directly connected, they are indirectly related.
Intresting, I wonder why the voltage was upped?
hashholly is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:46 PM   #19
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashholly View Post
Intresting, I wonder why the voltage was upped?
Higher DC voltage allows to transmit the same amount of power with reduced amps (current). Less current means less heat due to resistance in the wires and such, so it's more efficient.

The reason it's 20 Volts DC instead of something even higher like 100 Volts DC is for safety, cuz 100 Volts might be deadly. 20 and less is still pretty safe.
shurcooL is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:52 PM   #20
Marrakas
macrumors 6502

maybe we´ll see third party magsafe 2 connector with the old shape?
Marrakas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:56 PM   #21
hashholly
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Higher DC voltage allows to transmit the same amount of power with reduced amps (current). Less current means less heat due to resistance in the wires and such, so it's more efficient.

The reason it's 20 Volts DC instead of something even higher like 100 Volts DC is for safety, cuz 100 Volts might be deadly. 20 and less is still pretty safe.
So, the adapter is essentially upping the voltage from the lower adapter to the new computer?
hashholly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:58 PM   #22
afurry13
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange furball View Post
Magsafe for the iPhone is impossible in its current form factor. They would have to add two data pins. Which means 4 pins total, as each side is the same as the other. Right now there is 5 pins. With data it would be 9 pins. They will probably either go with micro USB or a new dock connector.
I can pretty much guarantee you that they don't use micro USB. Apple makes a killing on their dock accessories. They'll come out with some other in house developed adapter.
afurry13 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:00 PM   #23
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

you will get more life out of your battery if you just use it all the way down and then recharge it, so don't keep it charged all the time
mattopotamus is offline   -9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:06 PM   #24
voodoopenguin
macrumors newbie

I actually prefer my T-shape magsafe from my 2007 mbp to the L-shape magsafe, mainly because of how easily it disconnects from the laptop. So I was quite please that magsafe 2 went back to that old design.
voodoopenguin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:07 PM   #25
MTShipp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
you will get more life out of your battery if you just use it all the way down and then recharge it, so don't keep it charged all the time
Apple disagrees - http://www.apple.com/batteries/

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro