Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbgc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
A friend gave me his old iPhone 4 CDMA to try to fix. It was horribly cracked on both sides, so I replaced the front display and back panel. Everything works as it should but there is still one problem:

It only turns on when plugged into a wall charger. As soon as I remove it from power, it shuts off. At first, I suspected it was the battery, but that is not the problem because I swapped my iPhone's battery with the broken iPhone - my iPhone worked with his battery yet his didn't work with mine.

I've looked around online and can't seem to find any articles specifically addressing this issue with an answer to it. Does anyone know what part is damaged or how to fix this issue?

Any help is appreciated - thanks in advance!

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
My iPod would only work while plugged into the charger. Could not charge the battery but could use the iPod while it was plugged in. Turned out to be dirt in the charging port.

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
Get a Mophie Juice pack. It is a battery case, and it would fill the charging port on the iPhone, so wouldn't it work? If it didn't you could return it. At&t and Verizon should have them.

jbgc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
My iPod would only work while plugged into the charger. Could not charge the battery but could use the iPod while it was plugged in. Turned out to be dirt in the charging port.

How did you end up fixing it? Just cleaned the charging port?

Get a Mophie Juice pack. It is a battery case, and it would fill the charging port on the iPhone, so wouldn't it work? If it didn't you could return it. At&t and Verizon should have them.

That is an awesome idea but unfortunately the mophie juice packs don't last as long as the actual battery does, and they are pretty thick...

jbgc

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Did blowing it out work for yuo?

I ended up sending it into a guy in California who fixes the things that I can't. He took everything apart, blew it with compressed air, then put it back together and it worked. :)

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Generally is means one of two things:

1) Your battery is completely dead and will not hold a charge.
2) A cable came undone somewhere and just needs to be reattached.

Both easy fixes and it sounds like it was easy. Glad it's working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.