Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nolenium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Ok, so I'm in the process of (hopefully) doing one big, final transfer of my CD collection into iTunes. Lossless, this time. Thanks to suggestions from y'all and some other forums, I've been using XLD. Couple questions, though (I've searched around and found either vague answers or none at all on MR, hydrogen, etc... maybe I didn't look hard enough):

1) I've been using Burst, rather than XLD Secure, to rip to ALAC; I read that as long as AccurateRip verifies each track as a-ok, I'd just be wasting time with Secure (30 minutes on my MBP vs maybe 5 per CD on Burst). Is this correct, or am I potentially missing out on some sweet, sweet ripping enhancement/problem solver by not using a more serious mode?

2) Is XLD really that much better an option than iTunes (w/ error correction) for ripping lossless? I've only tested out a few tracks/CDs here and there and noticed only a slight difference in bitrate on tracks, as well as a few seconds here and there of track times' difference (due to how XLD handles pre-gaps?) Couldn't discern any audible difference, although I didn't do anything hardcore like ABX testing...

3) It's my understanding that pre-gaps mean very little, other than if you really want to see the little 8-10-whatever-second countdown between tracks in the future like we sometimes see on CD players. Is this true?

Thanks, guys. I may be acting finicky, but I'd like to make sure I'm getting solid lossless rips off, here.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Lossless is lossless. In the end it does not matter what software you use. There is zero point in doing ABX type testing.

The speed bottle neck is the CD drive. If you want to go faster buy a fast external drive. Some will do a 52X read speed. When I ripped about 800 CDs i used two of those drives. I loaded/unloaded one while the other was busy ripping

Reactions: nolenium
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.