Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:11 PM   #1
alexsvecencu
macrumors newbie

Question MacBook Pro Retina + SuperDrive

Greetings,

1.) I have a MacBook Air SuperDrive (MB397g/a) and I was thinking if anyone knows if this model will be compatible with the new rMBP or do I really need to get the new one (MD564ZM/A).
2.) I don't really want Apple's SuperDrive, but I still have the need for some sort of means to read/write DVDs now and then, so would an external DVDRW from other companies (samsung, etc) do the job just as well as the superdrive, or will there be problems identifying it?

Sorry if the question has been asked/answered before, I tried searching but to no result...Thank you.
alexsvecencu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:24 PM   #2
djmoody
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsvecencu View Post
Greetings,

1.) I have a MacBook Air SuperDrive (MB397g/a) and I was thinking if anyone knows if this model will be compatible with the new rMBP or do I really need to get the new one (MD564ZM/A).
2.) I don't really want Apple's SuperDrive, but I still have the need for some sort of means to read/write DVDs now and then, so would an external DVDRW from other companies (samsung, etc) do the job just as well as the superdrive, or will there be problems identifying it?

Sorry if the question has been asked/answered before, I tried searching but to no result...Thank you.
As far as another brands drive, another brand should work fine, but you may need a usb extension cable as well because most drives require 2 usb ports to work, and on the rmbo they are on opposite sides.

HOWEVER the air superdrive will work on the rmbp

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro