Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1
isloth
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Safari won't work on my iphone, please help :/

i've been team jailbroken since 2009 so I know a lot about it (not everything). I have a iphone 4 and was on 4.1 for a long time because i didn't feel like updating and starting from scratch. I just bought a new macbook pro and i synced my iphone and updated it to 5.1.1, obviously unjailbreaking it, well now im in the process of building my phone back to where i want it to be and now my safari stopped working. It will open for a few seconds then quit. I tried cleaing all the cookies, turning off my phone, uninstalling the last few things i downloaded on cydia but nothing seems to be working. I think I am gonna end up restoring my phone and doing all my stuff over again (which sucks) ...

is there an alternative to safari that is just as good?
is there a way to fix this bug?
isloth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:42 AM   #2
marieweaver132
macrumors newbie

Use some other web browser like Opera, Dolphin Etc..
marieweaver132 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:16 AM   #3
BumpyFlatline
macrumors 68030

Dolphin is in my opinion the best alternative! Swipe gestures, full screen mode, desktop mode, and you can download pretty much anything from websites. I download all kinds of stuff and use iFile to access the downloaded files. I use it so often I set up a bookmark in iFile for quick access to the downloads folder.

Best of all it's free!
BumpyFlatline is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:19 PM   #4
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

Delete all addons for safari, eg safari downloadmanager etc, it looks like 1 of your 4.1 cydia tweaks is not compatible with 5.1.1

You can also go into SBSettings/more/mobile substrate addons

Disable all addons and enable again 1by1 to find the bad tweak
Mac Book Pro 15" mid 2010
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:27 PM   #5
BumpyFlatline
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriJetHero View Post
Delete all addons for safari, eg safari downloadmanager etc, it looks like 1 of your 4.1 cydia tweaks is not compatible with 5.1.1

You can also go into SBSettings/more/mobile substrate addons

Disable all addons and enable again 1by1 to find the bad tweak
Great thinking TriJet! If the OP has safari download manager installed that's EXACTLY the problem. The symptom described is precisely what happens on ios 5. Safari closes the second you open it.
BumpyFlatline is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2012, 03:55 PM   #6
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpyFlatline View Post
Dolphin is in my opinion the best alternative! Swipe gestures, full screen mode, desktop mode, and you can download pretty much anything from websites. I download all kinds of stuff and use iFile to access the downloaded files. I use it so often I set up a bookmark in iFile for quick access to the downloads folder.

Best of all it's free!
^Agreed!

I would try TriJet's recommendation first, but out of curiosity, what jailbreak method did you use?

When Safari crashes, can you still find and open Cydia? What about mail? I'm wondering if you perhaps ran the tethered iP4 JB for 5.1.1 and didn't realize it...

iP4S (16GB) | 5.1.1 stock firmware
ZCherub is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks