Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 18, 2013, 09:53 PM   #1
drainbammage
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
11 inch 2013 Macbook Air battery issues

I received my new 11 inch 2013 Macbook air a few days ago and when i charged it to 100% it only said 5 hours and 22 minutes of battery, isnt it suppose to have about 9 hours of battery? I have the screen on max brightness, keyboard backlight off and bluetooth off. And the OS is 10.8.4, is there a way to fix this or did i just get a defective unit?
drainbammage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:11 PM   #2
53kyle
macrumors 65816
 
53kyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sebastopol, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by drainbammage View Post
I received my new 11 inch 2013 Macbook air a few days ago and when i charged it to 100% it only said 5 hours and 22 minutes of battery, isnt it suppose to have about 9 hours of battery? I have the screen on max brightness, keyboard backlight off and bluetooth off. And the OS is 10.8.4, is there a way to fix this or did i just get a defective unit?
Up to 9 hours. meaning having the screen brightness low, no keyboard backlight, wifi and bluetooth off, etc.
__________________
 13" MacBook Pro, 2.9 GHz i7, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB, OS X 10.10;
 Mac Mini, 1.42 GHz PPC G4, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB;
 White iPad 3, WiFi + 4G LTE, 64 GB;
 Red iPod Touch 5th Gen, 32 GB;
53kyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:14 PM   #3
Robyr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
It should not be halved. The people who keep saying its usage based obviously have no idea just how bad this can get on Mavericks. Same usage patterns under ML result in 11 hours easy. Seriously, my usage habits didn't change between an upgrade, people.
__________________
Do not fark with your Mac if you don't know what you are doing.
Robyr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 01:03 AM   #4
drainbammage
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyr View Post
It should not be halved. The people who keep saying its usage based obviously have no idea just how bad this can get on Mavericks. Same usage patterns under ML result in 11 hours easy. Seriously, my usage habits didn't change between an upgrade, people.
Do i have mavericks or mountain lion?
drainbammage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 01:10 AM   #5
burnout8488
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Endwell, NY
You have Mountain Lion. (10.8, 10.9 is Mavericks)

Shouldn't this laptop have come preinstalled with Mavericks? Did you buy it new or used?

Regardless, just go to the app store and install Mavericks. Can't guarantee it will solve your problem but it can't hurt, and you'll probably gain some battery life.
__________________
Intel: iMac 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1), 2012 MBA 13" Base
PPC: iMac G4 700
iOS: iPhone 5C 16GB Sprint / iPad 2 - 16GB Verizon
burnout8488 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 01:10 AM   #6
mpantone
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Shouldn't matter. I have an 11" MacBook Air (mid 2013) and the battery life isn't radically different between the two operating systems.
mpantone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 04:26 AM   #7
drainbammage
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout8488 View Post
You have Mountain Lion. (10.8, 10.9 is Mavericks)

Shouldn't this laptop have come preinstalled with Mavericks? Did you buy it new or used?

Regardless, just go to the app store and install Mavericks. Can't guarantee it will solve your problem but it can't hurt, and you'll probably gain some battery life.
Is there really that much of a difference? I really dont want to be downloading 5 gigs, since i only have 128gbs, plus arent people saying mavericks has considerable less battery life?
drainbammage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 04:36 AM   #8
Jedi Master
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: ar the moment on the Death Star
Cool Click the apple upper left corner> about this> version if 10.8 update to 10.9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainbammage View Post
Is there really that much of a difference? I really dont want to be downloading 5 gigs, since i only have 128gbs, plus arent people saying mavericks has considerable less battery life?

Click upper left corner> about this> version if 10.8 update to 10.9.1

Period...........


GANGNAM STYLE
Jedi Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 09:25 AM   #9
robvas
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Up to 9 hours. If you are running a bunch of stuff that uses the CPU, using the wireless or disk heavily, or have the brightness cranked, it's going to be substantially shorter.
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:11 PM   #10
drainbammage
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by robvas View Post
Up to 9 hours. If you are running a bunch of stuff that uses the CPU, using the wireless or disk heavily, or have the brightness cranked, it's going to be substantially shorter.
I got it a few days ago and all i use it for is internet browsing.
drainbammage is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MacBook Air 2013 11 inch for 750 Euros? Sb.kim87 Buying Tips and Advice 0 Nov 29, 2013 08:59 AM
13-Inch 2013 MacBook Air Gets Up to 15 Hours of Battery Life With Mavericks MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 187 Nov 4, 2013 09:42 AM
2013 Macbook air 11 inch and Thermal compound. Zer0n1nja MacBook Air 4 Jun 25, 2013 03:29 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC