Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:20 AM   #101
bp1000
macrumors 65816

Not sure if the osx daily post was referring to a thread I started last year but here it is http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1195561

It contains profiles to improve calibration

I suggest calibrating your own screen too
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:01 AM   #102
Jobsian
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hichisky View Post
The profile I created for my display is attached here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...5&postcount=51

My panel is the AUO (11") also. All panels are different though, so I cannot promise that your display will look correct with it. It is definitely worth a try though.
Much appreciated, have you noticed any difference between your panel and the other 2?
Jobsian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:46 AM   #103
mcbiz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNor View Post
Any problems with uneven backlighting on either the LG or Samsung displays on the 2012 models?
got the LG panel in my new 13inch...my last air had samsung, definitely noticing a difference. When the screen goes completely black, I can notice an uneven distribution of light around the bezel. Colors are definitely a bit washed out, and the difference between brightness levels is more intense (I used to feel comfortable using the screen at about 70 to 80% brightness, but now feel it's too dark to go below 90% in most scenarios...

going to call apple tonight and see what my options are.
mcbiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:53 PM   #104
mattopotamus
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbiz View Post
got the LG panel in my new 13inch...my last air had samsung, definitely noticing a difference. When the screen goes completely black, I can notice an uneven distribution of light around the bezel. Colors are definitely a bit washed out, and the difference between brightness levels is more intense (I used to feel comfortable using the screen at about 70 to 80% brightness, but now feel it's too dark to go below 90% in most scenarios...

going to call apple tonight and see what my options are.
the only options are to use a color profile or return and hope to get lucky. If you return in store and buy in store, i suggest setting it up while you are in the store so you can verify the screen before leaving.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:25 PM   #105
darthpotato94
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzari View Post
From this thread, all the 11" owners except for one got the LG display. One person went into the stores and checked the four 11" models they had on display and three of them had LG displays. It seems that you're likely to get an LG display with the 11", but you could end up with a Samsung. The 13" seems to be more of a "mixed bag."

I have the LG on my 11", and honestly, using the MacRumors ICC profile I'm finding the screen to be quite pleasurable. I didn't previously own an MBA so I can't comment on the differences since I haven't compared to a Samsung screen, but I'm definitely pleased and don't have any desire or intention of exchanging and taking my chances getting something worse (I have the Samsung SSD right now and my MBA is flawless - don't want to risk getting the Toshiba or one with some other imperfection).
I have the 13" with a Samsung display and a Toshiba SSD.

I read that they was a slight difference between the Samsung and Toshiba SSD, however, I don't know if there is any in the 2012 models.

My MBA performs very well except for the system freezes/crashes and 2 kernel panics from using chrome. I don't know if that is a hardware or software issue but is it worth returning and hoping to get a samsung ssd?
darthpotato94 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:46 PM   #106
slumpey326
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpotato94 View Post

I read that they was a slight difference between the Samsung and Toshiba SSD, however, I don't know if there is any in the 2012 models.

My MBA performs very well except for the system freezes/crashes and 2 kernel panics from using chrome. I don't know if that is a hardware or software issue but is it worth returning and hoping to get a samsung ssd?
I have both the samsung display and samsung ssd. Everything is great except for the stupid crashes on occasion as a result of Chrome. Please for the love of god can google or apple please fix this. :-)
slumpey326 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:48 PM   #107
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumpey326 View Post
I have both the samsung display and samsung ssd. Everything is great except for the stupid crashes on occasion as a result of Chrome. Please for the love of god can google or apple please fix this. :-)
Does Chrome Canary give you the same issues?
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:21 PM   #108
slumpey326
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Does Chrome Canary give you the same issues?
when I tried canary it was taking a long time to load some websites up including some of its own, i.e. gmail.
slumpey326 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:41 PM   #109
Zeni Xeni
macrumors newbie

Just received my 13"/i5/8/128 Air today. Short end of both sticks with the Toshiba SSD and LG panel. Contrast is looking better with that custom ICC. I can live with this.
Zeni Xeni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:47 PM   #110
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
You guys are so silly. Even among a single panel brand there will be variation. They take commodity panels and implement them into a final design. This includes additional circuitry, backlight (sometimes edgelight), etc. The profile thing is also a somewhat odd way of addressing this. A profile describes physical hardware behavior. They use generic ones. To a degree you're just lying to the framebuffer to adjust the final behavior.
Please don't pollute this good, old Macrumors paranoia thread with your facts, logic and sense.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:37 PM   #111
mcbiz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpotato94 View Post

you are not alone with the chrome kernel panic, experienced it for the first time today.
mcbiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:54 PM   #112
halledise
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRed View Post
oh boy.. here we go again
true enough.

for the exercise I did the Terminal thingy and my new 13" Air has an LG display.
love it - Life's Good.
Apple know what they're doing
my LG lcd television is a cracker, and so is my Samsung colour laser printer.
OP needs to get out more
halledise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:27 PM   #113
RocketRed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by halledise View Post
true enough.

OP needs to get out more
Anybody wanna place a bet? There's going to be the exact same topic next summer when the Haswell MBA's come out.

... Unless Apple sticks to one type of screen instead of 2.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:44 PM   #114
Hichisky
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobsian View Post
Much appreciated, have you noticed any difference between your panel and the other 2?
I haven't yet compared them. I am wanting to though. I imagine it is at least on par with the LG.
Hichisky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:21 PM   #115
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeb View Post
Please don't pollute this good, old Macrumors paranoia thread with your facts, logic and sense.
You know.. I stole one of your lines as it was possibly the only amusing car reference ever posted on here. It involved the scenario of buying a set of pirelli tires from a porsche dealer rather than a tire shop.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:35 AM   #116
Skoopman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Anybody wanna place a bet? There's going to be the exact same topic next summer when the Haswell MBA's come out.

... Unless Apple sticks to one type of screen instead of 2.
I bet Apple will use Sharp displays next summer
Skoopman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:40 AM   #117
RocketRed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoopman View Post
I bet Apple will use Sharp displays next summer
I've owned Japanese phones with Sharp displays in them (as the phone themselves were by Sharp).

My Body is Ready.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:53 AM   #118
Skoopman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I've owned Japanese phones with Sharp displays in them (as the phone themselves were by Sharp).

My Body is Ready.
Let's just hope the IGZO displays are ready too.
Skoopman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:05 AM   #119
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
You know.. I stole one of your lines as it was possibly the only amusing car reference ever posted on here. It involved the scenario of buying a set of pirelli tires from a porsche dealer rather than a tire shop.
That's ok - the first couple are free, until you're hooked.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:26 AM   #120
halledise
macrumors 65816

okay - seeing as we're going waaay off topic, consider this

http://youtu.be/5Ana9w3uSNA
halledise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:06 AM   #121
DaDalle
macrumors member

Damn it, I both have the Toshiba SSD and the LG Display. Bad draw...
DaDalle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:08 AM   #122
kylera
macrumors 6502a

On another forum here in Korea, MBA users actually prefer the LG display over Samsung...so the gold combo is LG LCD, Samsung SSD.
kylera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:00 PM   #123
iKnowMr.Jobs
macrumors member

How about that, my BTO 13 inch (8gb ram) has a samsung display. I could sorta tell the second the desktop launched the first time.
iKnowMr.Jobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:02 PM   #124
alias99
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau10 View Post
Sorry, the link is broken. I went ahead and zipped it up.
1. I was regretting reading this thread whilst waiting for a new 2012 13 MBA because I don't know what ill get

2. I have had a 2010 MBA for a while and always thought the display seemed odd but didn't take to much notice and got used to it.

3. I just found out I have an LG screen.

4. Used your profile and was shocked at the difference! Wish I found it 2 years ago! Will be using this on my new machine incase of another LG screen. Thanks!
alias99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:55 PM   #125
Mac-86
macrumors newbie

I got a 2011 11" 1.6 i5/128GB(Toshiba)/4GB with Samsung panel and a 2012 11" 2.0 i7/256GB(Samsung)/8GB with LG. I can totally tell the differences right from initial boot. The one with LG is flat out white/bright and the color is less crisps as compared to the one with samsung.

I picked up the ready stock 2012 11" model at apple store.
Mac-86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air