Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:28 AM   #126
aaron5566
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lls4f View Post
No, I've got the 13in. Text looks crisp to me.
Hey did u buy it from retail shops? Or did u order it? I'm ordering a 13" i5 with 8gb of ram and I'm toatally freaking out now. I really want the Samsung panel and SSD. Really hoping for it!
aaron5566 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:02 AM   #127
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron5566 View Post
Hey did u buy it from retail shops? Or did u order it? I'm ordering a 13" i5 with 8gb of ram and I'm toatally freaking out now. I really want the Samsung panel and SSD. Really hoping for it!
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Both panels are good, and both SSDs are good, too. The Toshiba reports lower numbers on benchmarks, but it's because the SandForce controller handles compressed data differently from the Samsung controller used in the Samsung drive. In real world usage they are very similar, and both are significantly faster than the drives used in last year's models.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:26 AM   #128
Sounds Good
macrumors 65816

I too would prefer a Samsung screen. Too bad there's no way to know before buying.
Sounds Good is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:41 AM   #129
aaron5566
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Both panels are good, and both SSDs are good, too. The Toshiba reports lower numbers on benchmarks, but it's because the SandForce controller handles compressed data differently from the Samsung controller used in the Samsung drive. In real world usage they are very similar, and both are significantly faster than the drives used in last year's models.
From what I have read it seems like the LG is really bad with the washed out colours and all. I'm paying a premium price and if I don't get a Samsung LCD, I'll be crushed. To think about it I don't mind either SSDs but preferably a Samsung one too.
aaron5566 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:25 PM   #130
thehumorpolice
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Exactly! You people should quit stressing about this. If you get one that doesn't meet your expectations you can simply return it, no questions asked. I have the LG screen and it is perfectly fine. It's a little different from my 2010 Samsung panel but it is quite good.
thehumorpolice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:26 PM   #131
norneDK
macrumors newbie

Guess what, I'm writing this from my MBA 11" (8/128) that arrived today and it says: LTH11XXXX, so from what I can read here and from Google, it's a Samsung display.
norneDK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:25 PM   #132
powsucks
macrumors member

My 2012 13" MBA has the LG panel. I don't have a Samsung to compare it to, but I really like the display. I think people need a little perspective on life if they worry so much about such a small issue. Don't worry and enjoy the fact you're fortunate enough to have such a nice, new laptop
powsucks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:27 PM   #133
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsucks View Post
My 2012 13" MBA has the LG panel. I don't have a Samsung to compare it to, but I really like the display. I think people need a little perspective on life if they worry so much about such a small issue. Don't worry and enjoy the fact you're fortunate enough to have such a nice, new laptop
but these are our first world country problems!
mattopotamus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:13 PM   #134
tim100
macrumors 65816

for those who got a lg display and are returning it, how likely is it that the replacement with have a samsung display?
tim100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:04 PM   #135
aaron5566
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehumorpolice View Post
Exactly! You people should quit stressing about this. If you get one that doesn't meet your expectations you can simply return it, no questions asked. I have the LG screen and it is perfectly fine. It's a little different from my 2010 Samsung panel but it is quite good.
But I'm purchasing it online. It would be difficult to return it...
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:15 PM   #136
alanman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
But I'm purchasing it online. It would be difficult to return it...
You can return it to any Apple store as long as it's within 14 days.
alanman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:22 PM   #137
lls4f
macrumors regular

Quote:
I bought mine online
lls4f is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:46 AM   #138
aaron5566
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lls4f View Post
I bought mine online
Did u get the base model or did u upgrade the ram or others?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:31 AM   #139
lockerc18
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsucks View Post
My new 13 inch Air got here yesterday (i7 2.0 / 8 / 256) and it has the LG screen. I also have an iPad3 right next to it, so I have an easy comparison with a screen that looks absolutely incredible. The Air's screen is washed out and the text isn't crisp at all. I'm not saying that the screen had to be as good as a Retina, but I did expect it to be on a par with other systems I use. Since it isn't, I'm pretty disappointed with it. I applied the config change pointed to here earlier, and I've played with the brightness setting, which both helped a lot. Not having a Samsung screen to compare it to, I don't know how close this one is with these changes. Sometimes the system seems to "forget" about the fix and I have to reapply it. I'm sure that's some kind of operator error... But my point is that the LG screen is subpar, IMHO, and Apple should stop using it.

That said, I absolutely love the Air. It's my first Mac, and it is a real barn burner when it comes to performance. I love the ergonomics and overall design. But this display is a real disappointment. I'll live with it, though, because I like the rest of the system so much, and because the screen is not all THAT BAD, with the config fix. I know that after a while, I will stop noticing the washing out of the screen, and will be totally happy with the system. I'm pretty much at that point now.

And I have to say, I've been a PC user since the very earliest days of DOS, and I have come to like Windows 7. But Windows 8 looks brain dead to me, and I couldn't imagine moving to that. Hence this change to Mac. And I REALLY like it.

Last edited by lockerc18; Jun 28, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
lockerc18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:24 AM   #140
pogiboi
macrumors regular

Well, i thought i could live with the LG panel, but I was setting up a new Air for a friend and the difference is just night and day. I tried to capture it with a camera but in person, the difference is much larger. Everything on the LG screen looks so washed out.

pogiboi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:36 AM   #141
tim100
macrumors 65816

that picture shows a difference. my question is what is the % lg vs samsung. people who got a lg need to know the odds of how likely a return unit would be a samsung.
tim100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:36 AM   #142
yoyoma1992
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogiboi View Post
Well, i thought i could live with the LG panel, but I was setting up a new Air for a friend and the difference is just night and day. I tried to capture it with a camera but in person, the difference is much larger. Everything on the LG screen looks so washed out.

umm...which one is the LG one lol?
yoyoma1992 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:39 AM   #143
trashmouth12
macrumors newbie

My screen looks pretty much like the one on the left. It is an LG panel. There is some uneven light distribution near the bezel at the bottom. Is that what you guys mean by washed out?

What are my options? (Phone ordered in Canada) I don't care if the next screen is LG or Samsung so long as the back lighting is consistent.
trashmouth12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 09:41 AM   #144
Time Less
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKnowMr.Jobs View Post
How about that, my BTO 13 inch (8gb ram) has a samsung display. I could sorta tell the second the desktop launched the first time.
What size SSD did you get? From what I've been reading, you're more likely to get a Samsung panel with a 256 or higher SSD.

This panel lottery sucks donkey balls. I have the 13" /128/8 with LG and Toshiba. My screen looks washed out just like in the picture above. I may return it and try again seeing how the Samsung display has better saturation.

Last edited by Time Less; Jun 28, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Time Less is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:01 AM   #145
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

pogiboi, do you think you could post a side by side pic with a color profile on the LG?
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:13 AM   #146
aaron5566
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogiboi View Post

Yeah I can I see the one on the left I think is the LG due to the text and colour not being as crisp as the 11" on the right. Could u try the colour profile posted by of the members and could u please post the results again, that is if this isn't this a hassle for u.

Thanks, Aaron
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:37 AM   #147
nrfujnbfvj
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Less View Post
What size SSD did you get? From what I've been reading, you're more likely to get a Samsung panel with a 256 or higher SSD.

This panel lottery sucks donkey balls. I have the 13" /128/8 with LG and Toshiba. My screen looks washed out just like in the picture above. I may return it and try again seeing how the Samsung display has better saturation.
I got the 13"/128/8gb with a Samsung screen, but a toshiba SSD.

Seems like its a mix, maybe the base 13's got an LG screen and BTO's got a Samsung.

Last edited by nrfujnbfvj; Jun 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
nrfujnbfvj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:45 AM   #148
aaron5566
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfujnbfvj View Post
I got the 13"/128/8gb with a Samsung screen, but a toshiba SSD.

Seems like its a mix, maybe the base 13's got a LG screen and BTO's got a Samsung.
I seriously wish and hope so... Gonna be my first Mac. I'm ordering the same as u 13 with 8gb of ram and 128 ssd. Really really want the Samsung display. SSD doesnt seem to bother me as much now as i thought it out. Its all about the read speed and they are more or less par. If it's a LG screen, I'll be heart broken.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:02 AM   #149
AppleSticker54
macrumors newbie

Fingers and Toes Crossed

After plowing through all the pages, I am really hoping that my very Mac (arriving tomorrow, says the Fed Ex tracking site) comes with both display and SSD as Samsungs. It seems like I might have a chance with my BTO.

I ordered 13" i7/8gb/256 - I am praying that the 256 upgrade will reward me - oh please, oh please!!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:08 AM   #150
pogiboi
macrumors regular

Yea i have a few profiles loaded, i'll post some pictures in a bit. I did find one that brought it closer, but made it much warmer than the samsung. The LG is on the left, Samsung on the right.

Also, LG was a 8GB/128GB BTO. Samsung was a base store bought.
pogiboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air