Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willy94108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I'm looking for help reclaiming lost hard drive space on my iMac.

I recently tried to sync an old 60GB iPod classic to my entire iPhoto library, about 40k pictures through iTunes, using the "all photos option"

Everything was going well, the sync would only take about 30GB of the 60GB on the iPod but my iMac hard drive began running out of space, I got the "Startup disk is almost full" followed shortly by "your startup disk is full".

Where I had ten or twelve gigs free when I started, then proceeded to back up a few large folders from my computer to external hard drive and deleted them making about 20 GB of free space. And the sync continued...for a few more hours, then I got another popup about my hard drive being full.

I've since abandoned the project of clicking the "sync entire photo library" button in iTunes, and will now break the library into individual years through smart folder in iPhoto, then sync the years up one at a time.

My trouble is after canceling the sync I have less that a GB free on my iMac's hard drive when it should be around 20-30GB. How can I delete the stuff that was created when I tried to sync the iPod. Thanks for any help.

Hardware:
2010 iMac >3GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
~2005 iPod Classic 1.2.1 60GB(color screen)

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
When you sync photos to an iOS device, your mac creates and iPod Photo Cache folder. This folder contains versions of you photos optimized for that particular iOS device. The folder is located in the iPhoto Library folder (use show package content to view it) and can be deleted safely to reclaim space. DO NOT delete or touch anything else in the library package, since it can ruin your iPhoto.

Willy94108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Perfect answer! My iPod Photo Cache folder was 86GB. Awesome. Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.